Case for the VIM3 and M2X

That would be nice, but then the whole compactness part gets thrown out the window.
but even then the whole design could be expanded a bit to accompany the tone board as well.

1 Like

I made a template for a simple paper case incase those who are looking for a temporary solution to store their VIMs, fully moddable in case you want to,

https://github.com/ZephyrLabs/KVIM3/blob/master/img20200522_10283185.pdf

printable on a standard A4/printer paper
stick it on some Cardstock for extra strength

1 Like

if there was enough money for vim3, then I think there should be no problems finding money for the corps :wink:

joke :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Let’s just say there was a person with such a scenario who had enough money for a VIM3 and had a bucket load of problems finding money for the case,
p.s i am talking about my self :sob:

yes, and you went further, created your own building ! :+1:

1 Like

Due to the nature of my country and my family lineage you respected not by what life you can buy, but what life you can make yourself. :smile:
that is due to the reason that nearly all the respected people in my family including my Dad are well established Engineers

2 Likes

Thanks. perfectly what I wanted. I printed it with ABS. (I don’t have 3D printer so I got help from my friend)

The only problem was, No space for Antennas. So I had to cut off some holes.

At this moment my VIM3 is not in my hand, so I tested my other Edge-V. Except for USB-C PD hole of Edge-V, everything fits nicely.

Thanks again.

Original Post (with file): Case for the VIM3 and M2X

7 Likes

Ooops okay, I forgot about the antennas.

I am glad that everything fits as expected.

Does the LCD fit? I notice it is sitting a little higher than expected; oh you didn’t secure it down.

I wonder why everyone uses black material, how about orange? :smile:

Nicely done, It looks like it came out very well !

1 Like

screen also fit. but not yet glued. so it looks some gap. but not a big problem. I need to polish(?) or sand before final assembly.

2 Likes

Nicely done. :smiley:

If there’s more demand for this casing, I will spend more time to refine the design.

The FPC cable can be neatly folded, 3 folds should be enough, and it will fit snugly beneath the panel.

2 Likes

yes it would would be more nice if it is polished,
Its ABS right ? after a bit of sanding use some Acetone it gives nice injection mold finish.

2 Likes

Hola,

I’ve made some minor improvements:

1. Added slots for the antenna connectors
  2. Made the pencil holder easier to print
  3. Increased the opening diameter for the SBC’s buttons
  4. Reinforced the internal structure, more contact points for the SBC
  5. General improvements to the exterior design, like fillets and chamfers

Download: .stp or .stl

13 Likes

Very nice Design, Hat’s off @tsangyoujun :grinning: I was in the midst of designing something just like this for my project,

Here is One more suggestion, you could try changing the pencil hole stand for something a bit more subtle and dedicate that space for Batteries if one wanted to make this a more portable device.

2 Likes

Yes, it looks stylish, good work!
:+1:

1 Like

Alright, I hear ya. Here’s a version without the pencil holder:

Download: .stp or .stl

Just in case you want to do your own designs, here’s a model containing the VIM3, heatsink, fan and LCD:

Download: .stp

3 Likes

I’m thinking that later designs could reduce the LCD over-hang, to make it even easier to print.

And if the corners weren’t so rounded, it could be possible to decrease the distance between the buttons and the outside of the case.

Perhaps adding a 45 degree chamber on the bottom, so it looks slimmer and easier to hold.

Alternatively, the LCD box and SBC box could be printed separately, could have some other design advantages to that.

For another time…

2 Likes

@tsangyoujun by any chance do you know what the screen orientation would be if the display was connected up to it ? or can you flip the screen orientation in the OS ?

1 Like

change of orientation, I think it would be logical
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yep but remember that screen orientation is not yet there in ubuntu, still a bit finicky,