Case for the VIM3 and M2X

Anybody aware of a case that will accommodate the VIM3 and the M2X board combination. I don’t have the facilities to make my own and I’m worried about leaving the unit unprotected.

Since I’m quarantined at home, I’m designing a 3D printable case for the VIM3 and M2X. It will use magnets to keep it closed, and opens up like a clamshell.

Early screenshot:

many were looking for such a solution, an interesting idea!:slightly_smiling_face:

Very nice. Where is the preorder slip.:laughing:
Assume this will also work for Edge-V and M2X.

It is unfortunate you are still under quarantine, but glad you are staying healthy. Besides, home is a pretty good place to be, until the cabin fever sets in. After that, it is a little more touch-and-go.

Yes you’re right, it would work for the Edge-V and M2X too. :stuck_out_tongue:

You can 3d print this at home, on your own - no pre-order required. :smile:

I’m fine, as I’ve just arrived from Singapore, I need to stay at home for 7 days.

Yes, one day I will have a 3D printer. Until then, I will have to experience 3D printing vicariously. Something to look forward to.:grin:

Okay it is done, 2mm wall thickness, 0.2mm to 0.5mm layer height should be fine. You can print just side1 and side2, but then you’ll need magnets to hold the 2 halves together, or print the base, and just shove the 2 halves in, no magnets required. Designed to work with 4mm thick, 4mm diameter round button magnets. Uses passive vertical cooling, or you can throw in a 3705 fan for good measure. Version 1 so there could be bugs! :stuck_out_tongue:

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15PDijXvg6HJg845oquiwj6sJxWJ1si8N/view?usp=sharing

Who really needs it, they can make it to order in their city, a question of price :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Not so much a matter of need, as it is matter of desire.:grin:

Tsangyoujun , bad will not offer!! :blush:

Just what we all need :slight_smile: Thanks!

Welcome guys! Let me know if you have any suggestions for improvements, or feel free to edit my model to make it better. Open source! :smiley:

If possible, add small form to attach TS050 LCD on one side?

Yes I’m sure that wouldn’t be overly difficult. How do you intend to use the device?

Usage modes:

  • Portrait
  • Landscape
  • Table Surface
  • Lap Surface
  • Handheld

I just assume a small fit rectangle box. (rather be a mount for screen) Don’t care about material or anything else unless I could get one. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I have an idea. See below image. (Sorry, I can’t handle CAD at all)
It would be a kind of modular stacks. Basically it could be a frame for each board.
VIM/Edge Block would have a screen mount on outer side. And if be needed, each additional blocks could be stacked with bolts. I think each block frames will be slightly similar, which will have bolt holes to contain each device and connect to others.

But, at this moment, I need just a simple TS050 holder over my VIM3.

What kind of bolts do you have? I could CAD one out in an hour or so.

Any bolts ok. Near my house, there is a big baumacht. But 2.5 screw would be standard. (right?)

I just need simple solution. as below images. housing for SBC and screen. (I don’t care SBC’s direction, material, as simple as possible)

is this an Edge-V or Vim3 ?

I see you have additional USB-C which only egde-v has and if its edge-ve then you might need heat dissipation on the bottom side also.

I see, okay. What do you have access to? A laser cutter, or 3d printer?

2.5 screw is M2.5? Usually M3 is more common.