Case for the VIM3 and M2X

Anybody aware of a case that will accommodate the VIM3 and the M2X board combination. I don’t have the facilities to make my own and I’m worried about leaving the unit unprotected.

Since I’m quarantined at home, I’m designing a 3D printable case for the VIM3 and M2X. It will use magnets to keep it closed, and opens up like a clamshell.

Early screenshot:

8 Likes

many were looking for such a solution, an interesting idea!:slightly_smiling_face:

Very nice. Where is the preorder slip.:laughing:
Assume this will also work for Edge-V and M2X.

It is unfortunate you are still under quarantine, but glad you are staying healthy. Besides, home is a pretty good place to be, until the cabin fever sets in. After that, it is a little more touch-and-go.

1 Like

Yes you’re right, it would work for the Edge-V and M2X too. :stuck_out_tongue:

You can 3d print this at home, on your own - no pre-order required. :smile:

I’m fine, as I’ve just arrived from Singapore, I need to stay at home for 7 days.

2 Likes

Yes, one day I will have a 3D printer. Until then, I will have to experience 3D printing vicariously. Something to look forward to.:grin:

2 Likes

Okay it is done, 2mm wall thickness, 0.2mm to 0.5mm layer height should be fine. You can print just side1 and side2, but then you’ll need magnets to hold the 2 halves together, or print the base, and just shove the 2 halves in, no magnets required. Designed to work with 4mm thick, 4mm diameter round button magnets. Uses passive vertical cooling, or you can throw in a 3705 fan for good measure. Version 1 so there could be bugs! :stuck_out_tongue:

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15PDijXvg6HJg845oquiwj6sJxWJ1si8N/view?usp=sharing

7 Likes

Who really needs it, they can make it to order in their city, a question of price :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Not so much a matter of need, as it is matter of desire.:grin:

2 Likes

Tsangyoujun , bad will not offer!! :blush:

1 Like

Just what we all need :slight_smile: Thanks!

2 Likes

Welcome guys! Let me know if you have any suggestions for improvements, or feel free to edit my model to make it better. Open source! :smiley:

3 Likes

If possible, add small form to attach TS050 LCD on one side?

Yes I’m sure that wouldn’t be overly difficult. How do you intend to use the device?

Usage modes:

• Portrait
  • Landscape
  • Table Surface
  • Lap Surface
  • Handheld

I just assume a small fit rectangle box. (rather be a mount for screen) Don’t care about material or anything else unless I could get one. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I have an idea. See below image. (Sorry, I can’t handle CAD at all)
It would be a kind of modular stacks. Basically it could be a frame for each board.
VIM/Edge Block would have a screen mount on outer side. And if be needed, each additional blocks could be stacked with bolts. I think each block frames will be slightly similar, which will have bolt holes to contain each device and connect to others.

But, at this moment, I need just a simple TS050 holder over my VIM3.

2 Likes

What kind of bolts do you have? I could CAD one out in an hour or so.

1 Like

Any bolts ok. Near my house, there is a big baumacht. But 2.5 screw would be standard. (right?)

I just need simple solution. as below images. housing for SBC and screen. (I don’t care SBC’s direction, material, as simple as possible)

is this an Edge-V or Vim3 ?

I see you have additional USB-C which only egde-v has and if its edge-ve then you might need heat dissipation on the bottom side also.

I see, okay. What do you have access to? A laser cutter, or 3d printer?

2.5 screw is M2.5? Usually M3 is more common.