VIMs Ubuntu 18.04 V191231 Release

Here we release new Ubuntu ROMs V191231 for VIM1/VIM2/VIM3/VIM3L.

Check Firmware Page to download the ROMs.

Note: You must use the latest Burning Tool v2.2.0 to upgrade latest images to eMMC.

Change logs:

Vendor u-boot(2015.01) & linux (4.9)

VIMs common:

• linux 4.9.206
  • fixed eMMC image bootup delay about 30S
  • added HDMI resolution auto detection
  • added HDMI resolution UI setting menu (Applications->Settings->HDMI Resolution Setting)
  • added kplayer command line player support
  • added gsteramer support
  • added opencv support
  • fixed WiringPi GPOIO AO domain
  • added WiringPi python3 support
  • preinstall firefox browser (has better performance for youtube video playback than chromium)
  • added system information UI menu (Applications->System->System Information)
  • added more compress/extract method
  • load bmp logo from rootfs partition

VIM1(V14)/VIM2:

• added cooling FAN UI setting menu (Applications->Settings->FAN Setting)
  • added WOL UI setting menu (Applications->Settings->Wake On LAN Setting)

VIM3:

• added NPU support (6.3.3.4)
  • added MIPI camera support
  • added USB3.0/PCIe swich setting UI menu (Applications->Settings->USB3.0/PCIe)

VIM3L:

• added NPU support (6.3.3.4)
  • added USB3.0/PCIe swich setting UI menu (Applications->Settings->USB3.0/PCIe)

Known issues:

• no sound for kplayer and gstreamer

Mainline u-boot & mainline linux images:

• U-boot 2020.01-rc5
  • Linux 5.5-rc2
  • Working part:
    • HDMI
    • ETH
    • Wi-Fi
    • BT
    • eMMC
    • SD card
    • USB
    • PCIe (has some issues with VIM3 when NVMe SSD is removed)
    • HDMI audio
  • added u-boot bmp logo support (VIM1/VIM2 only)
  • added simple KBI support
  • added simple MCU driver
  • added FAN control
  • added support for Wi-Fi AP6398S/AP6359SA

Known issues:

• For VIM3: USB canā€™t work when PCIe is enabled and NVMe SSD is removed (if NVMe SSD is attached, both USB and PCIe work well), so suggest to donā€™t enable PCIe in this version
  • HDMI audio crash with desktop

Setup HDMI audio:

# amixer cset numid=8 1
# amixer cset numid=11 "OUT 1"
# amixer cset numid=14 1
# amixer cset numid=17 "OUT 1"
# amixer cset numid=20 1
# amixer cset numid=23 "OUT 1"
# amixer cset numid=26 "I2S B"
# amixer cset numid=27 1
# amixer cset numid=29 "IN 0"
######### TEST ##########
# aplay test002.wav

NOTE: For mainline image, DO NOT use verdor u-boot to boot it, you need to erase the eMMC and fully boot from the SD card or you will get a green screen.

Account info:

• User: khadas
  • Password: khadas

Upgrade guidance:

OTA Upgrade

You need to preinstall V190830(or newer) images and upgrade to the latest images.

Suggest you to use Krescue to backup your whole system before upgrade!

khadas@Khadas:~$ sudo apt update
khadas@Khadas:~$ sudo apt full-upgrade
khadas@Khadas:~$ sudo do-fenix-full-upgrade
khadas@Khadas:~$ sync
khadas@Khadas:~$ sudo reboot

Note: For VIM3/VIM3L mainline SD images, the OTA upgrade is broken for this update and you have to resintall the whole image.

Fully installation

• The image name contains EMMC means that it is for EMMC installation, can only burn to eMMC.
    Check Upgrade Via USB Cable to upgrade the firmware.

• The image name contains SD_USB means that it is for SD/USB installation, can only burn to SD card or U-disk, need Android running on eMMC and activate multi-boot, please refer to Boot images from external medias.

By the way

Ths images are built using Fenix scripts, you can use it to build your own image!

Have fun!

4 Likes

Is there a workaround for using Ubuntu on sd card without removing Emmc Android, like using older u-boot?

As iā€™ve read a little about this, this is Amlogicā€™s fault?

I forgot to ask, do we have any multimedia improvements in these images?

1 Like

Please share the 5.5 kernel link so we can try to built it and use it for Manjaro.
Also can 5.5 support LCD & TP ?

thanks.

For VIM1 & VIM2 itā€™s OK.

But for VIM3/VIM3L mainline kernel you will get a green screen if you use android in eMMC.

Linux tag 5.5-rc2 and some patches

No.

Not some a whole lot of patches lolā€¦

Any on upstreaming these patches?

Many of them already in the mail listā€¦

1 Like

Does Vim3 wifi chip work with mainline kernel?

Yes, it is, but the speed is lower than the vendor kernel due to the mainline kernel SDIO bug, but I think this will be fixed soon.

Should nvme work with latest VIM3_Ubuntu-server-bionic_Linux-5.5-rc2_arm64_SD-USB_V0.8.2-20200103.7z ? I can not get neither a Corsair MP510 2Tb nor a Intel 660p 2Tb to work. I have tried to switch /sys/class/mcu/usb_pcie_switch_mode fort and back. No /dev/nvme*

@odalg Did you setupPCIE port ?

In this image, I remove support for it due to some bugs.

Probably this has been discussed already, but what are your plans for images with lima/panfrost, vpu on s905x, as iā€™ve seen panfrost is already in good shape?

What are your plans for the future, as iā€™ve seen a lot of progress has been done with amlogic boards, so i think you should be working on software?

We donā€™t plan to work with lima/panfrost due to some depandency issues of mesa on Bionic, we plan to work with then on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Focal Fossa.

Are you working on mainline kernel? I am aware of the patches but thatā€™s alot of patches is there any mainline custom kernel you maintain ? We were able to get lima for other devices. I have been trying to use @balbes150 branches to build 5.5rc to get lima to work on vim1 but I am facing some issues with getting hdmi to work while i can login via uart.

Please let me know if your having a custom mainline branch .
Thanks.

Ok, so i tried SD card image with 5.5 kernel on VIM3L and i only got to the login screen, no keyboard or mouse inputs, also the screen was tinted blue. I also tried to compile mailine to emmc with PhenixScript with a downclock to 1.6ghz on the config file and it crashed near the end. Btw, how can i undervolt the cpu?

Do i need better charger to make use of usb 3.0, because i am using 5V2A charger on vim3, and as far as i know usb3.0 needs more power to work, 9V as i know, so it will work as usb 2.0 device?

I am thinking about flashing linux on my usb 3.0 flash drive, but it wonā€™t be as fast as it should when using charger with less power, am i right?

multi-voltage power supply recommended for vim3

eg

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_NsYcd

Yeah, i know about it, but i didnā€™t want to order it before, tbh this isnā€™t so cheap in my country, but it looks like it wonā€™t get shipped soon, even if i order it, that virus messed things up seriously.