Upgrade Ubuntu latest image

Hello,

I am currently running the ubuntu xfce image of 20190830, I was wondering if I can upgrade my vim3 pro without losing the data (configured software for example) I currently have on it.

If it is possible, how do I do this?

You can use Krescue and backup the whole os along with all the software and then try the upgrade and see if everything goes well.

If you end up with any issue then you can restore it back from the krescue backup image.

Mostly upgrade should not break anything though, but just for safety make sure you have a backup.

Thank you, but how do I do the upgrade? Is it just via the “standard” apt upgrade command, or is there something special I should do?

From what I understand it is just apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.

But it all depends on how the khadas team have build the image and which repos are used.

Ok, thnx.

@Gouwa @numbqq @Frank can any of you confirm that to have the latest Ubuntu version for the Vim3, all I need to do is run “sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade”? (assuming I don’t want to update the kernel version)

Thank you!

Please follow the upgrade guidance.

khadas@Khadas:~$ sudo apt update
khadas@Khadas:~$ sudo apt full-upgrade
khadas@Khadas:~$ sudo do-fenix-full-upgrade
khadas@Khadas:~$ sync
khadas@Khadas:~$ sudo reboot

As @Spikerguy said, you’d better to backup you full system with krescue if your data is very important,

5 Likes

Thank you! Will test it with my Vim3 in a few hours.