Khadas Vim3 + CoreElec all work!

There really is nothing complicated about flashing ROMs to these boards and they come with software preinstalled anyway.

If you can’t manage it on the vim then its unlikely you will fare better with the pi’s ( in every way an inferior product).

Shoog

3 Likes

I had an RB2, after RB3, and since it was very slow, I thought about buying a new, more powerful SBC. VIM3 goes very fast, the A311D processor is very good, but I don’t like the design of the VIM3 board, 3 buttons together. power-function-reset? press for 3 seconds? a fan that does not work with a simple CoreElec-LibreLec and makes a lot of noise, and costs 15 euros. An operating system that if you do not install the nightly version does not work completely …
and the way to install the operating system with the usb burning tool is to cry :wink:
---->ES CRITICA CONSTRUCTIVA!

3 Likes

The reason you have to use the AMLogic burn tool is because unlike the pi’s which make you use shitty slow SD cards (which have a horrible habit of dying prematurely) it has blisteringly fast onboard EMMC storage. Also it actually has a power button rather than just having to pull the plug (the main reason for SD card corruption in the pi’s). And to complain that a bunch of volunteer developers haven’t yet developed fan speed control for one board out of a dozen they are working on - is petty at best.

Me thinks you protest to much.

Shoog

I think it’s a matter of empathy …
In computer science it is usual to make programs without thinking about the end user, and not to question whether it is easy or difficult because they do know how to do it, others should also know it.
The simplest would be to copy a * img file to a usb pen and automatically install it in the internal memory. Everything else is eager to not make things easier for users. Cheers

3 Likes

Android deliberately makes it difficult because otherwise people would be trashing their devices all the time. The only OS that AMLogic supports is Android and this is why it is intrinsically and by design difficult to load new software. Its only because of mostly volunteer developers that there is any other OS support and they all have to work with the “difficult” Android u-boot and dtb system.

My point is a bit of gratitude to those volunteers is a more appropriate response than bitching about a few minor inconveniences.

Shoog

1 Like

There are no Android images available that use a method like Etcher, these images are designed to be installed by the USB Burning Tool or Linux burn tools. Sometimes(for Windows users) the Burn Card Maker can use the images to create a card that can be used to install the update.

If the firmware has been damaged somehow, erasing the eMMC(Will wipe all data and apps) or using MASKROM(Mregister/TST) should allow the USB Burning Tool to burn the image.

I have never encountered such a problem when recording any kind of images on Etcher. But it doesn’t matter since I used the Linux system DD utility for recording, and this is a 100% working version (no exceptions)! The problem is not in the recording methods, the problem is in the image for recording (it is damaged. The day before yesterday I could write and it just did not load, but yesterday I repeatedly downloaded the image again and could not write the image to disk again :frowning: the same etcher wrote that the image was damaged).

I made a backup of an already preinstalled system. The problem is not that something could be damaged :)… in any way, the recorded image is not recognized by Vim3L according to the instructions. By the way, the delay in the system also seems to be caused by the poor quality of the remote control, most likely because of this, slowness is added … in general, this device is one continuous problem, both in software and not in software. I don’t understand what the seller was counting on when he put it on sale (in the next topic, people also complain that can’t turn on Vim3L from the remote control).

1 Like

So your not trying what has been suggested to you and your still complaining. Why not just try to use USB_Burn tool as instructed and report back. If there is still a problem then people can start to try to sort out what it is. Unless you do that and describe exactly what you did then you are wasting everyones time here.

And this has nothing to do with the subject of the thread which is Corelec so maybe take it to its own thread where its wont confuse people looking for info on CE on the VIM3L.

Shoog

@shoog I asked you, do not write me anything? Why are you telling me what to do if you yourself do not understand the essence of the problem? This topic is about CoreElec? I also have a CoreElec. In other topics, I also left my messages (do not worry) and I would not go into this topic if you (you are forcing me to answer you) or other users did not leave comments for me.

1 Like

@Xove_64 we are aware that the installation of 3rd party OSes such as CoreELEC and Lakka into our VIM boards can be slightly overwhelming for new users. @hyphop tells me the Amlogic burning tool is slow by design (it does not take advantage of the full hardware capability), because speed was sacrificed for versatility.

That said, @hyphop is working on a one-click-install + everything-will-work system via Krescue. But he still needs sometime to work out the bugs, as you can imagine the number of OS permutations is quite large:

VIM1 + VIM2 + VIM3 x CoreELEC + Lakka + Android + Ubuntu + Server + OpenWRT…

that’s like 3 * 6 = 18 combinations in the least, so it will take him sometime to test everything and ensure funcitonality. :smile:

Oh and not to forget VIM1 (old), VIM2 (old)…

1 Like

My opinion is that for the products to be popular and successful, - which I suppose is the purpose of any company-, the basic premise for sale to end users is SIMPLICITY.
Right now, buying a VIM3 and doing it DIY is very complicated and not advisable for the general public.
if you can’t make it easy, it will never shade the Raspberry Pi.
saludos,

5 Likes

Did you buy the VIM3 with Coreelec preinstalled ? Couldn’t be much simpler than that now.

Try flashing an OS to one of the Android boxes to learn what complicated looks like.

Shoog

I’m sorry but Rome was not built over night, these OS was made available on day 1 and take time to get Stable for what is a completely new generation of SoC’s.

VIM3L was the first device to use the SM1 SoC that any of us have worked with.

Surely you are not that naive to expect everything working from day 1?

Even RPi4 was released with what was a vendor kernel and no mainline support.

If you find it complicated then you need help, I don’t see what your point is of posting here if it’s just to trash talk what is a brilliant product.

and fyi a fan is not needed unlike with the RPi.

yes. of course
if someone asks me what tv box to buy i will tell you … ODROID-N2 with 4GByte RAM (70 €)

I feel free to say what I consider convenient, if you want to surround yourself with flatterers, they can ban me whenever they want.

1 Like

And why would you advise 4gb of ram to run a TV Box on CoreELEC ?
Because you don’t know what you’re talking about ?

BEELINK GT1 ULTIMATE -> Amlogic octa-core 64-bit; 3GB RAM

4 GB does not seem outrageous
better to pass … missing :wink:

1 Like

at 311d, there is artificial intelligence that can unlock the potential of the board, the question is, can those who use it as a TV box realize for us ?!

2 Likes

A311D great! … 5.0 TOPS performance NPU
Does the Android use this NPU?
Does CoreElect use this NPU? I certainly want to find a movie when I want to do it with the remote control.
The NPU could not do voice recognition? are they working on it?
"Power without control is nothing"

2 Likes

I have an N2 and its great, but the cost is substantially more than the headline figure you quoted when all elements are considered. It works very well and I am very happy - but most of its resources are under utilized.
The VIM3L is more than adequate for anyone building a media center and I would say that for most people it represents better value for money than the N2.

Shoog

2 Likes

ok, good answer !:smiley: