Vim3 thermal with the new heat sink

Today, at the entrance to work, they also measured my body temperature, I am satisfied with 36.1C° :blush:

2 Likes

Yes it is quite amazing that our human body operates just fine at 36C. :smile:

Biological computer.

1 Like

biomechanics, there’s nothing to be done :wink:

If the VIM3 was mounted vertically and on its side, and the fins were aligned vertically, would that have a similar effect as taller fins?

3 Likes

Mike, do you want your vim to sail away?) :fish::blush:

:grin:
I’m hoping the cables will hold it down in case of a strong breeze.

BTW I’m Mike, this might confuse Robert.:upside_down_face:

1 Like

I saw in some message, they called you Robert, so I don’t understand either, sorry of course)

100%! :anchor::anchor::anchor:

1 Like

Yes, actually. You read my mind. :smile:

Of course the default position is horizontal, but, you can always put it vertically.

1 Like

Yes I am Robert and you are Mike
Please make sure it stays that way :upside_down_face::blush:

I still think bigger is better and a fan to blow the dust out :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, I recall seeing that. Though my name is Mike, evidently I write like a Robert. :grin:
Of course, no sorry is necessary.

2 Likes

I’m working on it…:grin:

1 Like

Hello. Your new heatsink designs are beautiful!

I can not buy a case in my country and i do not like fans, so i made a heatsink out of a broken geforce graphics card.

Max temp in sbc-bench is 65 Celsius with 23 degrees ambient temperature.

Since bottom of heatsink did not fit, i scraped off thermal pads from old graphics cards and built a spongy interface. It is good enough and very cheap.

Important: do not do this at home unless you are willing to risk destroying your VIM3. Also consider:

1. Do not let heatsink contact any conductive board components, ever!

2. After grinding/cutting away metal, brush clean and wash and brush the entire heat sink to prevent any metal dust from falling on the board when mounted.

Final price was 2 Euro.

Cheers!

6 Likes

Nice, but that’s huge.

It will cover the whole pcb so not worried about dust getting inside. :smiley:

1 Like

Cool! Reminds me of:

2 Likes

For next board, please consider putting cpu on bottom for contact to case. Thx!

2 Likes

Double the thickness of the base plate and you will get much better cooling via lateral heat-transfer.

2 Likes

Good point, thank you. :smile:

I shouldn’t have written ‘much’. It needs to be simulated and the benefits weighted against increased materials costs, of course.

I am curious to see the simulatioin results! :slight_smile: Cheers!

2 Likes

I reseated my heatsink and now do not exceed 65°C . Here are three movies at 640-820p playing at once with -vo x11
With new khadas 5.5.0 kernel and devuan, video playback is fntastic! I do not need VPU acceleration !

2 Likes

hi, can you attach a photo of the radiator? thank! looks good!
:slightly_smiling_face: