Vim3 thermal with the new heat sink

I’m guessing the pretty one would work alright in an aircon room.

The ugly one would work well outside, even 35C shouldn’t be a problem.

Of course, if thermal throttling isn’t an issue for you, both would work fine.

1 Like

Put a a static, 3-blade propeller on the ugly one, everything looks better with a propeller on it…:smile:
Seriously though, for me, function over form, as I don’t spend a great deal of time looking at the device, generally.

1 Like

The ugly one somehow looks like its from the empire. :smile:

6 Likes

That explains the coolness.

2 Likes

are you planning new videos on the Khadas YouTube channel? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

When I’m back in the office, then yes :smile:

I’m guessing everyone is getting bored at home, and wanting to watch new videos?

1 Like

@RDFTKV the ultimate in performance and functionality:

100mm high fins, 4mm base, 5mm pitch, 51.2C at 7W TDP.

Beyond this height, I think its just going to be ridiculous. :smile:

2 Likes

No, I do not sit at home, I work. But I will not refuse your new videos :yum:

1 Like

wow, this is a tower :tokyo_tower:, I think that a small radiator will be enough for me :grin:

1 Like

This one? @Vladimir.v.v

1 Like

Yes, he is the most! :blush:

1 Like

Well if we assume that running at 7W TDP is the worst case scenario, I think most people will never have their RK3399 or A311D CPUs running at maximum all the time…then the sweet spot height is likely around 25 to 30mm, which I believe is reasonable.

1 Like

Yes, that ought to do it.:grin: Looks like it could form its own skyline.:laughing:
The Khadas logo lasered up the sides would look super.

1 Like

This could be a good balance. Max Temp: 70.9C

2 Likes

I recall we tried this type of thing in the early days
It kept the Toast nice and warm until consumed :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Good lord! It looks just like the “sith” heatsink.

2 Likes

After consulting with the manufacturer, turns out we cannot exceed 9mm of fin height. The good news is that even at 9mm, the passive heatsink performs adequately at 25C ambient, with 7W of heat input, the maximum temperature reached is 71.7C. So yes, use it indoors. :smile:

1 Like

We also have a version of this heatsink for the bottom side of the DIY Case. If you’ll notice, the cooling efficiency is slightly worse 83.3C vs 82.7C (at 35C ambient), despite the fins being longer. This is because fin height matters more to cooling efficiency than fin length, and there is also a ratio between the fin-thickness and the fin-height - the taller your fins, the thicker the base should be.

2 Likes

at least it looks decent :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Aye, that it does lad. That it does.

1 Like