Vim3 thermal with the new heat sink

Photo of my heatsink is in post above. I just changed the pads.

the main thing is to be careful, I look, it goes straight to the whole board, I’m worried!
:see_no_evil:

That’s some solid heatsink performance, but I expect more from a heatsink which even has heatpipes for extra Heat dissipation, overall good :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

removed heatpipes since they did not match geometry of heat source

after 20 minutes of stress test, i exceeded 75C

stress program is very stressful

Oh, in that case, I guess without heatpipes its a good temprature :slight_smile:

Obviously :laughing:,What is your stress program ?

apt-cache show stress
Package: stress
Version: 1.0.4-7
Installed-Size: 53
Maintainer: Joao Eriberto Mota Filho eriberto@debian.org
Architecture: arm64
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.17)
Description: tool to impose load on and stress test a computer system

tested with stress -c 6

1 Like

Man, that is a stressful stress test :sweat_smile:
I have tried that and it hammers all the cores of the CPU, The last time I did that mine almost crashed,
well done mate :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

What if we wanted to get a different fan?

Like the 40mm noctua fan can we plug one of these to the khadas board and control it?

Ofcorse i know they wont fit inside the case but it would be cool to atleast be able to control it from the board

Not sure what the load limit on the fan control circuit is. Probably want to keep it under 180mA.

You could use a Fan with PWM and stick it on the GPIO pins :slight_smile:
You can have a higher current output and have the PWM pin operate as our need requires.

Yeah i wouldnt want to plug it into the little fan plug that looks low amps

SO if we used the GPIO pins can it be controlled threw the OS?

LIke the fans speeds?

Yes, we can create our own script, to change the Fan speed as per our requirement, best part you can even use bigger fans, if you wanted :slight_smile:

The only thing is creating a script that checks the CPU temp, and assigns the correct PWM to that pin, shouldn’t be too hard, never tried it myself, but should be very easy to do, :smile:

Ide just leave it on a certain speed like i do with the others i have now

Guys, can you share thermal performance experience of vim3 pro with passive sink and bottom metal plate with thick pad?

I want to compare performance of my boards which is reaching upwards of 65 C in benchmarks but otherwise sits on 49C

My setup was Out of box, android, stock everything. Just the hardware assembled.

For passive cooling this is fine. Can go upto 85 - 95°C if you use it to compile for long time. Even if you install a fan on the stock heatsink it will only spin at very high temp as the tripping is set accordingly knowing the fact that the soc can handle temp upto the set tripping point.

What is your use case for the board with passive cooling?

1 Like

Torrent downloading. Occasional 1080p movies. Word editing.

Maybe some limited compiling from source. Once I’m comfortable with the limits of this board, I’ll try to contribute in various GitHubs. I will also maybe try some emulation

1 Like

Not enjoyable as of now unless we get a stable VPU support.

Rest all is possible.

My locally compiled mplayer -vo gl_tiled runs H264 60fps 1080p (384 kbytes/s) fine. I’ve seen it run 30fps1440p VP9 with only a few framedrops.

There’s some gstreamer amlogic acceleration being worked on, but i get bad results with almost everything so far.

Which OS is it on ? We do get hw decoding to work on Manjaro but it is not quite stable and need to play video with vaapi-copy something. Seeking forward and backward is still an issue though.