Truck dashboard

This is looking good.

Great work man

2 Likes

Thank you!
Waiting on a few more small parts, oh and my truck to be done at the transmission shop.

Back painted plastic is so clean. This was clear and I painted the back of it black, I have seen this done in high end A/V gear, so I applied it to my project and I love the results.

4 Likes

All of this over a cable.:laughing:
Worse thing is, we don’t grow out of this.:grin:

2 Likes

Redid the panel holding the LEDs. Much better alignment the the “ring”.

It’s super shinny, even with finger prints on it.
Still waiting on a few more parts to show up before I can call this part of the build “done”.

Still done have the funds to get my truck out of the shop. Kinda worried they might sell it to cover the cost of the repair?

The control buttons for the screen are installed in the back of the lip of the cubbie hole the is part of the factory dash.

Dang, I hope you’re kidding.
Besides, with no instrument cluster, might be a hard sell.

1 Like

It has a tablet in there right now.
This is an extra cluster I had.
Selling my motorcycle to pay for the repairs.
Hope it doesn’t take long to sell.

Maybe the transmission guy wants a bike.

1 Like

LoL, already tried that idea

1 Like

The truck will be out of the shop next week!

Put in some work tonight after busting my ass for a few days to make the money to get the truck fixed.
I got the leads soldered onto the VIM3 and got some LEDs for the gear indicator. I got the DIY connector set and will be doing that tomorrow.
Cross my fingers, it will be a functional thing in my truck by the end of next week.

2 Likes

Are you planning on a heatsink for the CPU?

Glad your truck is coming home. Did your bike survive the transmission repair?

1 Like

Yes the bike survived :grin:
No heatsink in the plans. The two fans blow in to the middle and move alot of air. I’m hoping that will be good.

Getting close now. Looking forward to it.

I use this app to monitor CPU temps, it has a floating widget that can be overlayed, help get an idea about needing a heatsink or not.

1 Like

I’ll try it.
Just put it on my phone

What is a hot temp?
What is a to hot temp

When it comes to electronics, I loath heat, so I may be biased toward lower temps. Typically, electronics perform better, are more reliable and will last longer, when lower temps are maintained.

Yours will exist in a sometimes very hot environment. In the summers cabin heat can climb pretty high. In the winters, the instrument cluster’s temp may be elevated by the climate system’s plumbing.
Once the CPU reaches a certain temp, it will begin to throttle.
Much has been written on the VIM’s thermals, for instance see here(a long read, but informative).
The A311D is a powerful SoC, even when throttling, performance will probably be more than adequate for your use case.

1 Like

Progress is happening!

3 Likes

The protective film has come off. This part of my project is complete. The truck will be back this coming week. I’ll get it installed and make a final update.
I’ll keep the post updated as time goes on with mods or probs that may come to light.

5 Likes