Krescue - take full control of your VIM device! easy way to install ANY OS! + back/restore your system

Yes exactly my point that this is common when there is higher latency.

I will definitely try this and report. Tomorrow hopefully, thanks for the great tip, i always wanna remain on bleeding edge even if it means some bugs.

I also turned off vsync which greatly improved frames on kde desktop

For ARM devices, Bleeding edge is the only way for now until things become stable for arm devices. As rolling release makes it easier to update pkgs faster without rebuilding the whole image for developers and reflashing the whole image for users.

Enjoy.

1 Like

Hi @hyphop

Do you plan to enable feature of “burn uboot to spi flash” through Krescue in near future? Currently my vim3.v12/13 does not allow inside Krescue to flash uboot on spi flash.

Thanks

tnx - i think we will make it soon

@hyphop

When we dump emmc to SD and if emmc is only 10gb out of 29gb filled , will the image dump size be 10gb or 29gb?

I have a 16 gb SD card with Krescue and I want to dump emmc of 29gb total size but actual used space of emmc is around 10gb…

Depends on how to make the dump. If you just do plain dd then it will make 29gb image. If you dd and pipe it to compress image file then it will be compressed version of 10gb.

You will need dd and tar binary to do this.

@hyphop I see last uboot is from 2021-01-27 Is this the latest ?
I plan to update uboot pkgs for khadas devices and prepare new images so you can make new krescue images.
Please name the uboot as per its version so we can come to know without the need of booting into it and finding the uboot version.

@hyphop Please let me know asap else image release will be delayed to next week :frowning:
Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @Yasir_Javed

You can burn uboot to SPI with Krescue in rescue shell.
I prefer to have Android on my EMMC so I don’t have any other choice now but having legacy uboot
with AML vendor bootloader on my emmc.
But thanks to hyphop and his SPI uboot I can easily run any Linix distros with mainline uboot from SD or USB stick without inverted colors issue. I only need to switch to SPI bootmode in Krescue with KBI switch. If I need loading Android while in SPI bootmode I make three short presses on Function button after powering VIM3 on to start Android. And to return to emmc boot mode I can stop boot sequence by pressing Space at the prompt and typing:

KBI bootmode w emmc   

I find it very handy until there is no more elegant solution. At least I couldn’t find.

@Dingo
Wow, that’s great. Thanks for the great tip. I don’t wanna use Android for now, but maybe in a couple of weeks and this will help me prioritize boot as my requirement

@Yasir_Javed

Later today I will send you where you can find instructions for burning Uboot to SPI with
rescue shell.

And maybe I’m wrong but you cannot run Linux distros built with legacy uboot if you have
mainline uboot in your emmc. At least I could run this distro from SD:
VIM3_Ubuntu-xfce-bionic_Linux-4.9_arm64_SD-USB_V20191231only with EMMC bootmode
with Android installed and legacy stuff.

@Dingo

Yes I tried to boot coreelec when there is mainline uboot in emmc but it failed to boot while every other mainline Ubuntu and armbian booted successfully.

I can flash legacy uboot to spi and switch boot mode to spi when I need to run android or coreelec from sdcard (this is the opposite of what you’re doing I think)

Thank you again for your support, it is very much appreciated.

i will make update for mainline uboot dl.khadas.com - Index of /firmware/uboot/mainline/ - at the end of this week or begin of next !! - i will make special announce about this (and about new features)

I see last uboot is from 2021-01-27 Is this the latest ?
yes its was last !

1 Like

setup bootmode via Krescue - is absolutely easy

root@Krescue:/# kbi bootmode
mmc
root@Krescue:/# kbi bootmode mmc
[i] /opt/kbi mmc -> mmc(sd)
root@Krescue:/# kbi bootmode spi
[i] /opt/kbi mmc -> spi
root@Krescue:/# kbi bootmode toggle
[i] /opt/kbi toogle spi -> mmc
root@Krescue:/# kbi bootmode toggle
[i] /opt/kbi toogle mmc -> spi
root@Krescue:/# kbi bootmode save
[i] power off

or just goto Krescue menu → KBI - device Configure → Set Boot mode to MMC or SPI

1 Like

Hi @hyphop

Thank you so much for your great work! Will be waiting for new release.

Could you also check if I make correct steps to write your mainline uboot to spi without serial debugging tool. It will be especially interesting to @Yasir_Javed

I used your spi uboot version 0.8 of Jan 27 and copy VIM3.u-boot.spi.bin to my SD card with Krescue
to Dumps partition.
Then I start Krescue and if I go to Image WRITE to… EMMC to browse my dumps then in Rescue Shell I will find my images at /tmp/mounts/dumps/
Or I can go directly to rescue shell and mount mmcblk1p2 to tmp folder for example and check with ls if uboot file is in mounted folder
Then I make MTD on and burn spi uboot using your instructions from here:
khadas-rescue/docs/README-rescue-spi-mmc.md at master · hyphop/khadas-rescue · GitHub -
to use SPI + SD:

root@Krescue:/# mmc off; spi re; mmc on

And write U-Boot to SPI flash using your details from here: https://github.com/hyphop/khadas-rescue/blob/master/docs/README-rescue-spi-flash-linux.md:

mtd write /tmp/sd/rescue/u-boot.spi.bin /dev/mtd0  
mtd verify /tmp/sd/rescue/u-boot.spi.bin /dev/mtd0    

But in my case I have a different path to uboot file - /tmp/mounts/dumps/ or manually mounted point

I also found the other commands to write uboot to SPI:

spi_boot /tmp/sd/rescue/u-boot.vim2.legacy.spi.bin - write legacy uboot to spi
spi_boot /tmp/sd/rescue/u-boot.vim2.mainline.spi.bin - write mainline uboot to spi

but didn’t try it as mtd write worked fine for me.

I know that it is even easier to switch boot mode but the problem is that when I switch to SPI boot mode with your latest spi uboot I cannot run Krescue as it is stuck at booting and if I need to switch back to EMMC boot mode I can do it only at boot prompt. I stop bootscript by pressing Space and write:

kbi bootmode w emmc

But it is also easy to do.

And this is where Krescue hungs in my case if I switched to SPI bootmode:

@hyphop
When do you plan to upload updated manjaro images on Krescue dump on dl.khadas.com?

1 Like

i think it will be soon

3 Likes

Maybe we can do a krescue update video as well… :laughing:

• “Krescue - What’s New!”
  • “Krescue - Expert Tips!”
5 Likes

If you could add the option to flash uboot to spi through krescue and a basic file manager to copy images from a usb to sdcard dump location, that would be amazing as well

1 Like

already !! testing

plz ! clarify !!! what do u need ? we have basic shell and u can copy anything via cp or rsync

1 Like

The Wizard menu where we select image to burn on emmc, it would be great if we have copy/paste option there. When we insert a usb, it’s mounted and we can copy images from usb to sdcard dump…

1 Like