Krescue - take full control of your VIM device! easy way to install ANY OS! + back/restore your system

Today i tried to install manjaro kde through sdcard krescue. I was connected through wifi inside krescue. The downloading somehow stops at 50% and doesn’t proceed.

I tried to clean all dump files and started from zero but again the download stopped at 50% .

@hyphop can you please check why?

I will now try to download manjaro image separately and placed in krescue images dump and try to install again.

Hi Bro,

Today I have successfully installed manjaro on vim3pro using Krescue and right now updating. Everything seems to be working fine. Thanks to khadas devs for making krescue and spikerguy for making a beautiful manjaro available to us.

By the way, 1080p in firefox worked very well indeed.

1 Like

problem already disappear ?

problem remain.

So i used another PC and downloaded manjaro from dl.khadas.com and put into sdcard partition /dump/downloads

After that, i again used sdcard to boot krescue and flashed the downloaded image. But Krescue image downloading was not stable, i only tried 2 times and both on wifi link.

Tomorrow i will check on ethernet also.

Sounds like your download is timing out or it is dropping the connection. Must be due to latency between your ISP to the source server. Happens sometimes.

Wanna try with panfrost support ? If you want to play around and do some testing?

Install mesa git using this command
sudo pacman -S mesa-git This will ask you to remove mesa just say yes to it.

Then make replace none with glamor in this file > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/01-panfrost.conf

Reboot. Hopefully you should have panfrost support with faster app loading and other Graphical elements loading with the help of GPU, there are still some glitches though. If you want to revert back then just make glamor to none and install mesa instead of mesa-git
sudo pacman -S mesa

Good Luck

1 Like

Probably, i downloaded through proper download manager on other pc so it was quick and no issue. Krescue probably uses only 1 download connection and is not able to resume once disconnected.

Yes exactly my point that this is common when there is higher latency.

I will definitely try this and report. Tomorrow hopefully, thanks for the great tip, i always wanna remain on bleeding edge even if it means some bugs.

I also turned off vsync which greatly improved frames on kde desktop

For ARM devices, Bleeding edge is the only way for now until things become stable for arm devices. As rolling release makes it easier to update pkgs faster without rebuilding the whole image for developers and reflashing the whole image for users.

Enjoy.

1 Like

Hi @hyphop

Do you plan to enable feature of “burn uboot to spi flash” through Krescue in near future? Currently my vim3.v12/13 does not allow inside Krescue to flash uboot on spi flash.

Thanks

tnx - i think we will make it soon

@hyphop

When we dump emmc to SD and if emmc is only 10gb out of 29gb filled , will the image dump size be 10gb or 29gb?

I have a 16 gb SD card with Krescue and I want to dump emmc of 29gb total size but actual used space of emmc is around 10gb…

Depends on how to make the dump. If you just do plain dd then it will make 29gb image. If you dd and pipe it to compress image file then it will be compressed version of 10gb.

You will need dd and tar binary to do this.

@hyphop I see last uboot is from 2021-01-27 Is this the latest ?
I plan to update uboot pkgs for khadas devices and prepare new images so you can make new krescue images.
Please name the uboot as per its version so we can come to know without the need of booting into it and finding the uboot version.

@hyphop Please let me know asap else image release will be delayed to next week :frowning:
Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @Yasir_Javed

You can burn uboot to SPI with Krescue in rescue shell.
I prefer to have Android on my EMMC so I don’t have any other choice now but having legacy uboot
with AML vendor bootloader on my emmc.
But thanks to hyphop and his SPI uboot I can easily run any Linix distros with mainline uboot from SD or USB stick without inverted colors issue. I only need to switch to SPI bootmode in Krescue with KBI switch. If I need loading Android while in SPI bootmode I make three short presses on Function button after powering VIM3 on to start Android. And to return to emmc boot mode I can stop boot sequence by pressing Space at the prompt and typing:

KBI bootmode w emmc   

I find it very handy until there is no more elegant solution. At least I couldn’t find.

@Dingo
Wow, that’s great. Thanks for the great tip. I don’t wanna use Android for now, but maybe in a couple of weeks and this will help me prioritize boot as my requirement

@Yasir_Javed

Later today I will send you where you can find instructions for burning Uboot to SPI with
rescue shell.

And maybe I’m wrong but you cannot run Linux distros built with legacy uboot if you have
mainline uboot in your emmc. At least I could run this distro from SD:
VIM3_Ubuntu-xfce-bionic_Linux-4.9_arm64_SD-USB_V20191231only with EMMC bootmode
with Android installed and legacy stuff.

@Dingo

Yes I tried to boot coreelec when there is mainline uboot in emmc but it failed to boot while every other mainline Ubuntu and armbian booted successfully.

I can flash legacy uboot to spi and switch boot mode to spi when I need to run android or coreelec from sdcard (this is the opposite of what you’re doing I think)

Thank you again for your support, it is very much appreciated.

i will make update for mainline uboot dl.khadas.com - Index of /firmware/uboot/mainline/ - at the end of this week or begin of next !! - i will make special announce about this (and about new features)

I see last uboot is from 2021-01-27 Is this the latest ?
yes its was last !

1 Like

setup bootmode via Krescue - is absolutely easy

root@Krescue:/# kbi bootmode
mmc
root@Krescue:/# kbi bootmode mmc
[i] /opt/kbi mmc -> mmc(sd)
root@Krescue:/# kbi bootmode spi
[i] /opt/kbi mmc -> spi
root@Krescue:/# kbi bootmode toggle
[i] /opt/kbi toogle spi -> mmc
root@Krescue:/# kbi bootmode toggle
[i] /opt/kbi toogle mmc -> spi
root@Krescue:/# kbi bootmode save
[i] power off

or just goto Krescue menu → KBI - device Configure → Set Boot mode to MMC or SPI

1 Like