Khadas Vim3 + CoreElec all work!

try krescue :wink: coreelec works without any additional manipulations => all COREELEC emmc images - for krescue was updated - VIM1 VIM2 VIM3 VIM3L

1 Like

There is also USB 3.0, everything is fine, if you want to save the androidšŸ˜‰

COREELEC 9.2.3 Released!!!
https://coreelec.org

4 Likes

I did the update to 9.2.3 and now Kodi doesnā€™t start. I have the CoreELEC screen and CoreELEC (official): 9.2.3 message in the left-corner.
I can SSH into the box an I can see that the Kodi service isnā€™t working:

systemctl status kodi
kodi.service - Kodi Media Center
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/kodi.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: inactive (dead)

If I try systemctl start kodi command it hangs forever.
I donā€™t have any new kodi logs after the update.
How can I debug further? Thanks

How did you install the original CE that was running on your system ? If it came preinstalled or you used the Khadas tools the partition structure is incompatible with standard CE file format. In this case you should only use CE versions packaged by Khadas to upgrade, the CE .tar file will trash your install.
This issue has been encountered by Coreelec team members and they have created a solution. I suggest you go over to the Coreelec forum and search the 9.2.3 thread for the cure for your problem.

Shoog

I did not encounter a problem, try also to do a full reset to the factory

Yes, specify this moment ?!

I flashed it myself on an microSD card using the official docs: https://docs.khadas.com/vim3/index.html#VIM3
For update I got a popup in Kodi, I selected the update and expecting to work.
Should I understand that the hot update doesnā€™t work? I have to do it manually or from scratch?

These are the instructions you need:

Shoog

This looks like I have to redo all my setup from scratch.
What is not clear to me if this was a bug that broke my system or it is the state of the platform not to provide hot updates. I donā€™t want to do this setup every-time I want to update Kodi. Is it on the platformā€™s roadmap to have seamless update of CE?

this question is more likely to the guys from coreelec, although I didnā€™t encounter a problem like yours

Coreelec is updating for CE users without this issue. Its specific to the way that Khadas handles the CE image that causes the issues. Once you migrate to the CE ecosystem you will not encounter this issue again.

Two things to note though;
-before performing a version upgrade you should always perform a backup using the CE backup tool built into the CE setup addon. This will allow you to recover your system even if you have to do a full reinstall
-I am not certain of this, but I believe that the method advocated preserves your storage partition and so system setup.

It would be best if you have any more issues that you raise them on the thread to which I pointed you.

Shoog

1 Like

I only now start having a better understanding of the structure of all things involved. Thanks for your help.

-before performing a version upgrade you should always perform a backup using the CE backup tool built into the CE setup addon. This will allow you to recover your system even if you have to do a full reinstall

I actually did that and I got a 2 GB backup which once restored it did bring back just the kodi settings but not the opkg packages and personal configuration files I had in the home folder.

-I am not certain of this, but I believe that the method advocated preserves your storage partition and so system setup.

Unfortuantely not. It does this only if one didnā€™t have the fail update first. My bad here that I updated as soon as I saw the message instead of going to check if anybody has issues

After restoring my setup it seems there was an issue with the Entware setup. As soon as I renamed the /storage/.opt directory kodi starts without any issue. They said itā€™s not supported and I didnā€™t listen. Too bad that these days I need 4 RPIs and one VIM3 to run lite open source services that could be run on the VIM3; I suppose itā€™s easier to support your service in a distro instead of general integration scripts.

1 Like

opkg stuff is not part of the userspace stuff so is probably borked if the System partition gets corrupted.
Have you managed to get most things back ? Best to stick to official CE upgrades when you do.

Shoog

1 Like

Yes, I kept the old uSD card and restored my mounted config folders for dockers which are running fine. I used opkg only for some extra tools when SSHing into the machine so I donā€™t really care; now I know better. Thanks a lot for the support.

2 Likes

there are some fixes!

Changelog (20200615)

1 Like

Hi, guys! So far coreelec is working great on my vim 3. However I have a minor gripe with the fan, particularly the temperature levels at which it switches modes on auto. By default they are 50, 60 and 70, but even the first level is obnoxiously loud while watching a movie. The board stays below 60 even when watching 4K HEVC, so I modified the levels hardcoded in the dtb in /flash/dtb to read 60, 70 and 80. However the new levels are not taken into account, as reflected in the device tree in /sys, even after a reboot. How can I enfore my modifications ?

2 Likes

hi, do you have a passive radiator and a thermal pad on the bottom of the metal plate?

I have just such a combination, I donā€™t even think about the temperature, although I have quite extreme operation, 4K HDR 60 fps are ā€œtorrentā€ online at the highest settings, in fact the processor works almost completely, and no problems!

:point_up::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hi, I think you might need to rebuild the kernel or something, We had such a request very recently but it was related to Ubuntu linux, and changing the dtb seemed to be enough to do itā€¦

@Vladimir.v.v I donā€™t have the back thermal pad, only the top heatsink and fan, but even then itā€™s enough to stay below 60, I just wish I could up those thresholds.

@Electr1 I believe I know why itā€™s not taken into account. The dtb seems to be shipped by coreelec (/usr/share/bootloader/device_trees/g12b_a311d_khadas_vim3.dtb) and has precedence over the one in the boot partition.

Problem is, this is a read-only squashfs and I canā€™t modify itā€¦ Trying to find out where the fs is stored so I can unpack and modify it.

1 Like