Extreme cooling help

Sure i do but not a rehash of the same thing just overclocked when we can do it ourself.

I see a few chips in some of those cheap tv boxes that i question are “new” processors like the new Gen 4 S9 and S8

Allwinner is already first for third quarter with their wink wink H616 with Android 10, and we already know Android 10 runs better then 9 so im wondering how well this new H6 cough 16 compares to the cough outdated H6?

1 Like

A refresh could mean we could get a chip with some stuff fixed in it…
like increasing the power ceiling for overclocks, higher clockrate, giving some more cache memory etc…

It is very useful as I see…

I tend to prefer the video quality(rich, deep) on RK SoCs, AML should tune their video likewise IMO. Maybe they will do that. :laughing:

1 Like

Lets just “hope” It happens, Till then imma have fun with the king of speed for now…
And tell them to give those graphics drivers while they at it … :stuck_out_tongue:

You guys are great fun!

I have no need for OC but it’s great to know that extra 15% is available if I ever need it. Cheers.

2 Likes

If you have our standard khadas 3705 cooling fan and new vim heatsink, the CPU remains stable at around 70-72C. With the Black Shark, 60C. Naked, and it will cook at around 82C.

I can’t tell if there’s any thermal throttling going on in Linux though - that’s an Android Tool :smile:

But I’m assuming that at 60C, there should be zero throttling.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! yes, I think I’m ready for the most extreme conditions, I made Rockchip 3399 work not exceeding 60 ° at maximum CPU load, then I shouldn’t have problems with a311d.
:grimacing::face_with_hand_over_mouth::grin:

1 Like

@tsangyoujun since the clock speed is increased, It is better to use the device in Interactive governor…
Keeps the device cooler and still does your tasks fast …

since it executes stuff faster, it is just idle most of the time, so If we give it time to cool off when free,
we can make it snappy and cool at the same time…

We aren’t going to run Md5 hashes and GLXgears as our daily routine, and keep the CPU pinned at 100%, so why need to keep it running all the time… ?

Efficiency is key here…

1 Like

Sure you used to be able to see throttling in the kernel log - will see if I can find where it was

1 Like

The only real difference between the H6 and H616/ H313 is GPU change in the case of the H616 and the H313 is lower CPU core clock with and GPU change. Though I think the H313 will replace the H3 which needed a refresh more than the H6. H6 just had the messed up PCIe driver implementation. I use the H6 for mining and it bests the S905?3 series even with them having the the S905?3 have triple the cache. I don’t know what AMlogic did to the cache but its slow as all heck. It starts getting latancey at 16KB data blocks and up to 10 clks @ 128KB. I do believe this is a function of the kernel and compiler though. GCC-9 is needed for sm4 capability. I used the Tanix TX6s for the H616 board and it was clocked at 1.488Ghz with the S905D3 clocked at 1.908Ghz. I was stuck with android on the TX6s so no pure Linux. yet it still ran even with the VIM 3L minining UPX2. I choose this algo because the data block size is 128KB and all the cores on each of the SOC’s can be alloted that much memory at the L2 cache level. both ran at 2.6KH/s the Orange PI 1+ clocked at 1.8GHz does 3.1KH/s the only real reason for them is that you can mine two coins at once with the GPU on one and the CPU on another though with the Orange pi 3 being $20 or more cheaper than the Odroid C4 and at least $40 cheaper than the VIM 3L. It will likely find a place in the home of many more knowledgeable users.

So like for Me I can compile form a blob for the most part. If I didn’t have a clue or limited understanding then VIM 3L or Odroid C4
I like them both I like the C4 more but that’s for simple reason of more ram for Android, In Linux it’s like the VIM 3L

IMO the same chips in the cheaper android tv boxes Khadas use on their boards seem faster. They (Khadas) either have them optimized better or their OS is better. I had a couple of the H6 boxes and they ran super hot and the gpu didnt seem very good. The S905X3 boards were all hit an miss some looked good some didnt. They were all fast but how they looked were a crap shoot.

I just ordered C4 cant wait to try it, the XU4 is good i like it, Ide recomend any of the Khadas boards, i dont regret buying any of them.

The pi4, now thats a board i regret buying, with the fallowing those boards have i dont get it. Ide rather have ANY khadas board over that pos any day

The more SBC boards i get into the more im finding the Khadas boards are the better value, the form factor, they are more loaded full featured

1 Like

That is obvious, because, you literally bought the entire family of Khadas SBCs :joy: and you didn’t stop there, and even bought the same VIM1 twice !

… for better firmware!
:relieved:

Yeah and like i said imo its the best SBC value of any of them ive seen, trying to piece together any other SBC for its performance the VIM1 and VIM3L are an unbeatable value. Bluetooth, emmc, wwifi

DUDE, i swear its a better firmware then the 20200317 i swear!

Buddy, I don’t argue, I already realized that you know a lot about firmware!:wink:
By the way, haven’t you found this unique firmware in the vastness of the Khadas forum?

you still have that copy of firmware safe right ?

yes, we are now very worried about you! :smirk:

Take a photo for us … Settings / Device settings / About device, there must be a firmware version.
and then we will try to find this firmware for you

The ATV boxes are pretty bad, but I wanted to test the CPU, and it’s all that’s out at the moment. I love my Khadas boards but I prefer a larger form factor unless space is a premium. If the H6 had recieved GPU drivers for Linux before panfrost and not had the PCIe issues It would be on par with the VIM 3L in terms of features. Khadas has the better build quality but AMLogic just doesn’t know how to build a good SoC with a high IPC. This is the result matrix for SBC bench all things being equal at least in that form of testing. https://github.com/ThomasKaiser/sbc-bench/blob/master/Results.md
the H6 board will be the Pine H64 and it’s a 2GB board so the comparison is fair as I can see.

It loses by less than a 1000 in all but the AES and crypto test. If you took the difference in core clock the loss becomes even less and the H6 is on DDR3 vs DDR 4 for the VIM 3L. The die size is 28nm for the H6 and 12nm for the S905D3

The biggest thing is sunxi’s blobs are terrible and generally rely on armbian for a usable O.S. and Android is out of the question. you can be lazy and just use the GUI to setup Kodi and just boot into that for a media center and retro gaming… Khadas support is what really makes the difference.

1 Like

ive already done that, i thought you replied in that thread already? VIM1 stock firmware *Solved* - #87 by Electr1

I even emailed hyphop and they didnt even know there was a 316 so i dont know what happened, all i know is i got it fixed and they both are running good now

Heck yes i saved that firmware the day i got the new board!