Brand new fresh out of the box VIM2 dead

Well… , I ain’t feeling religious for them :sweat_smile:

judging by the first screenshot, we can understand that your vim2 is loading and working?

It is working, im curently using a PSU from a firestick but it seems underpowered when installing and app it shuts off

I have a feeling the 10W isnt going to help

Any apps i can test it with to see if its still ok?

TO bad the USB-C isnt fused for people like me that wrong PSU

connect it to your computer and see if it get recognized,
it is the only way to check if the USB-C still has functioning power and data

@BowerR64 are you sure, that nothing else has happened on the board ?, Its easy to say no and walk away, but if that component is really critical as @RDFTKV pointed out (connected to oher key components) and is now busted it might cause problems in the future, you better ask @kenny for any advice on this, and get it replaced if must :slight_smile:

most likely the circuit is not damaged, but you need to be careful, it’s better to close the board and that’s it, but if you have a chance to exchange, it will be better! I don’t know how it works on Amazon
:thinking:

Uh, ship it before seven days and tell them you don’t like it, then an hour later you purchase the thing again, acting like nothing happened,

But hey, that’s just my suggestion…
:sweat_smile:

Dude that would be dishonest

What if i use 2 power supplys at 1amp threw both USB ports?

So far i installed asphalt and ran a few race with it, the controller keeps being disconnected

What bluetooth version does this one have?

you need at least 2 amperes

I know, nothing serious it was just a joke, Cheating on companies for breaking their stuff and asking for a refund is a criminal offense :policeman:, I understand that…

you can try combining the two power supplies, but using a single one is more advised, we don’t know the circuitry behind those power supplies, if they are different, a hught current spike, and a power surge will kill your board on the spot.

The maximum amount of amps a circuit will draw depends entirely on the device, not the power supply. Though a supply can fail to provide sufficienct current. The amount of volts supplied is determined entirely by the power supply, assuming the load device is not shorted.

Make sure you are using the 900mA USB port. Even so, max input will be short of the 2 amps recommended. I have not tried ganging power supplies on the VIM2, I would think it would be OK. But you do so at your own risk.

If you are not comfortable replacing component L7, maybe a local shop would do it for a small fee. However, as stated, damage may go deeper than L7.
Otherwise, I will check schematic to see if the POGO pads also involve L7, if not, maybe the pads could be used for power.

1 Like

USB PD starts at 5v and only increases if it gets successful negotiation without that it stays at 5v 2A

original power supply for vim2

VIM2, VIM3L
Edge V and VIM3

Curious, if I connect PD PS to a device and it negotiates 12v, and while still connected to AC, I remove it from the original device and connect it to a device without negotiation, will it stay at 12v?

@birty. I recalled asking about this, took a minute but I found the topic on the Khadas PD PS. See here.

you lost me at PD PS

PD is Power Delivery, PS is power supply. The Khadas 24w PS is a PD type charger. It can output various voltages depending on the connected device. For instance, a phone capable of fast charging, can negotiate greater power from the PD type charger.
While some variable output(power) chargers do default to 5v if negotiations fail, I recall Gouwa or other stating that the Khadas 24w charger may not do that.

Last question before i order another board, ca i hook 5V to a 3amp power supply to these pads?

Is the bottom one closest to the + actually + because when i look at the descriptions for the VIM2 connections it shows a different polarity

nvm i guess they are both the same + is on the bottom

pogo pads

I will check schematic. The power on the GPIO is also limited to 500mA(.5 amp).

The POGO pads(J16) beneath the USB-C connector can power the VIM2, and should be able to handle more amps than the USB2.0 hosts. However, they may feed the same damaged circuitry, so may not work. I will see if I can tell from the schematic. Will be a bit later before I can get to it.

POGO_VIN_Interfaces

POGO_VIN