Brand new fresh out of the box VIM2 dead

I know, nothing serious it was just a joke, Cheating on companies for breaking their stuff and asking for a refund is a criminal offense :policeman:, I understand that…

you can try combining the two power supplies, but using a single one is more advised, we don’t know the circuitry behind those power supplies, if they are different, a hught current spike, and a power surge will kill your board on the spot.

The maximum amount of amps a circuit will draw depends entirely on the device, not the power supply. Though a supply can fail to provide sufficienct current. The amount of volts supplied is determined entirely by the power supply, assuming the load device is not shorted.

Make sure you are using the 900mA USB port. Even so, max input will be short of the 2 amps recommended. I have not tried ganging power supplies on the VIM2, I would think it would be OK. But you do so at your own risk.

If you are not comfortable replacing component L7, maybe a local shop would do it for a small fee. However, as stated, damage may go deeper than L7.
Otherwise, I will check schematic to see if the POGO pads also involve L7, if not, maybe the pads could be used for power.

1 Like

USB PD starts at 5v and only increases if it gets successful negotiation without that it stays at 5v 2A

original power supply for vim2

VIM2, VIM3L
Edge V and VIM3

Curious, if I connect PD PS to a device and it negotiates 12v, and while still connected to AC, I remove it from the original device and connect it to a device without negotiation, will it stay at 12v?

@birty. I recalled asking about this, took a minute but I found the topic on the Khadas PD PS. See here.

you lost me at PD PS

PD is Power Delivery, PS is power supply. The Khadas 24w PS is a PD type charger. It can output various voltages depending on the connected device. For instance, a phone capable of fast charging, can negotiate greater power from the PD type charger.
While some variable output(power) chargers do default to 5v if negotiations fail, I recall Gouwa or other stating that the Khadas 24w charger may not do that.

Last question before i order another board, ca i hook 5V to a 3amp power supply to these pads?

Is the bottom one closest to the + actually + because when i look at the descriptions for the VIM2 connections it shows a different polarity

nvm i guess they are both the same + is on the bottom

pogo pads

I will check schematic. The power on the GPIO is also limited to 500mA(.5 amp).

The POGO pads(J16) beneath the USB-C connector can power the VIM2, and should be able to handle more amps than the USB2.0 hosts. However, they may feed the same damaged circuitry, so may not work. I will see if I can tell from the schematic. Will be a bit later before I can get to it.

POGO_VIN_Interfaces

POGO_VIN

Thank you RDFTKV, its working pretty solid now, im still having an issue with the bluetooth but i can deal with that.

Is there a better version of andoid for this board? I believe its running 7.1

Maybe a newer rom will help the bluetooth? or the damaged circuit it causing it?

None the less its working and i thin its reliable now

Khadas just offered an Android 9 preview firmware, it is here.

I have this installed on my VIM2. Though my VIM2 is the 1.2 version, I will check Bluetooth. I assume you have both antenna connected.

Yes both antennas are hooked up

Thanks ill check out the android 9

Install with SD card? or does it need a tool to install?

FIgured ide ask before i brick it doing it the wrong way

NVM i think i git it, used burn card maker

Wish i could of kept that desk top backgound

Dang, i think made another dumb mistake

Updating a rom on a board with a bad cirquit was another dumb decision

Why is that, what happened?

Well it hangs after the update and after the update during the android pie graphics animation thing with the circles it just hangs there spinning all the colored circles.

Went to the VM2 download page and downloaded Oreo and it installed and ran fine, tried pie for a second time and did the same thing.

I think the Vim2 came with 7.1? i didnt really look but i think it was 7.1

Is there another version of pie for the VIM2? If not ill go back to oreo

I think it was shipped with 7.1 nougat

NVM there is no oreo in the DL section so i just tried the 2019 version of 7.1

One of the 7.1 roms i downloaded the fan wouldnt work, ide turn it on and cycle threw the differnet speeds but it wouldnt run