Armbian for Khadas EDGE (RK3399)

Version Armbian 20181122 .
Added support for Wi-Fi.

https://yadi.sk/d/ie_dx5x_w2xUIQ

To start the system enough to download, unzip, burn the image to the SD card. Connect the SD card to the EDGE and turn the power on. The system starts automatically. Details on the initial setup of the running system can be found in these topics.

2 Likes

First of all thank you!

Would you mind applying the patches to increase cpufreq/DVFS OPP and thermal thresholds from here: Painlessly usable Linux distro?

Just applied them (using dtc) and now benchmarking Edge/Captain again…

I correctly understand, I need these two patches ?

Yes. Better single threaded performance and some higher tresholds before throttling starts (70°C is extremely conservative)

The test version of the image with these patches is located in the DEV subdirectory on the site. I have little space on the site, so I have so far collected one image (Ubuntu server), write what other image options are needed with these patches.

Ver 20181123

Added options in the kernel for Aufs and Docker

I found an option to enable BT on EDGE. But there is one problem. If after the user logs in, execute the command “sudo hciattach /dev/ttyS0 bcm43xx” in the terminal , it becomes possible to use BT. You can start scanning and connect to headphones. When playing through BT, the sound works correctly. But if I try to add the command “su -c hciattach /dev/ttyS0 bcm43xx” to autorun “rc.local”, after turning on the system adapter appears, but the scan does not work and the audio output via BT the same does not work. If I add to " rc.local “other command,” su -c hciattach /dev/ttyS0 any" the device turns on automatically when the system starts, the adapter is visible, you can connect headphones, but the sound comes with a large stutter. I am not an expert on BT and WiFi And I do not understand what could be the reason.

1 Like

Good news.
New image with kernel 4.20 for Khadas EDGE, which is built using the official git Linux Next.
It has HDMI, USB, SD and wired network. Thus, it is a full-fledged basic system. :slight_smile:

@Gouwa @numbqq @Terry
you can watch my version of dtb which I have collected for EDGE on the subject of optimization ? I have little information on EDGE features and it would be good if you could check my DTS source code, maybe it has errors\inaccuracies or not optimal values. By the way, it would be good to send a request to include DTS for EDGE in the main Linux branch, so that by the time the model arrives to the users in the main kernel there is already basic support.

Added version “4.19.0-dev”, it is built using the source code “ayufan”. Video playback in it significantly slows down compared to the version collected from the official sources of Next Linux.

5 Likes

Hello Oleg,

The image bootup well.:wink:

Some nodes in dts need to be updated, like: PMIC RK808 , io domains, etc.

You can find the dts here:

Add Wi-Fi support for Edge AP6356S:

1 Like

You need to send these patches to the main Linux git, so that when you clone the main kernel from the Linux site immediately have everything you need in the source code. Do you have such an opportunity ?

Yes, you are right. We will try to do this.

Update ver kernel 4.4 20181203

1 Like

@numbqq
Hi Nick.
I built the Armbian version using the current commits in Khadas-edge-4.4 sources. At check on EDGE strangeness at start was found out if the USB hub is connected (with the keyboard and the mouse), the system cannot be started and constantly leaves in a rebut. If you disconnect the USB hub and connect it after the system starts, the keyboard and mouse are normally detected and working. This happens on both USB ports. Have you changed anything in the kernel sources for EDGE with USB recently ?

Removed this option from the config file, the system began to start USB
https://github.com/khadas/linux/commit/1b80aec45530b30e6707e47c436c4ddbc0e2e2b5.

Really? I checked with USB hub connected and it bootup well. Which USB hub you use?

I use the option Defender USB hub 7 ports, with a power indicator, and the ability to connect additional power to it (additional power I do not use).

I have no idea about how CONFIG_USB_NET_CDC_EEM effect this…

New version of Armbian 20181225. Updated kernel. Added the procedure for installing to eMMC. Once installed on eMMC, the system works with eMMC as a normal SSD\HDD and can perform partition operations as a normal system.

2 Likes

New ver 5.69 20190111 kernel 4.4 and kernel 5.0.0

2 Likes

@Gouwa @numbqq
You can test the sound performance on 4K TV with the latest Armbian image. I have 4K on TV in the last image no sound. But if I connect EDGE (without changing anything) to Full HD TV (1080p), the sound works. I don’t understand what the reason is for this strange behavior.