LibreELEC for Khadas VIM1 VIM2 VIM3 (SD & USB & eMMC)

I opened this topic in order to place how to start LibreELEC with external media and install to eMMC.

ver Krypton 17

1. To write the image to the media (SD or USB)
  2. Delete media file “dtb.img” For image versions with the suffix KVIM this item does NOT delite. File “dtb.img” should be on the media.
  3. Rename the file “remote.conf.vim” in “remote.conf”
  4. To activate the multi-boot using this media (as an option, using the launch application in Android “Update&Backup”, details are in the subject of Ubuntu). Start LE with external media, to verify and customize yourself. If you are satisfied, choose off menu item “Reboot to Install to eMMC”. The system will automatically install the LE in the internal memory (eMMC).

To work the remote control, you need to use the old version of the firmware (with Android 6). The new version of the firmware (with Android 7) changed the format of the processing codes for the remote control and this format is not compatible with existing images LE. Therefore, the remote LE will not work if you attempt to run LE on a version 7 Android. So for those who wanted to install the LE in the internal memory (eMMC), you need to have the firmware in eMMC with the previous version of Android 6. Only then, after the install LE in the eMMC, will operate the remote control.

LEIA 18

To properly start the system with the desired DTB option, you now need to edit the file " uEnv.ini " (edit the file name that will be used at startup).

If you have something specific to write about my LE build, you can write in this thread.
If you want to advertise CE - create a new topic and there can write what she wants.
This topic is about my build LE.
If you want to discuss CE-create your own theme and there you can write whatever you want. On this, the debate about CE in this topic are closed.

Pay attention all, this is the last issue of images Libreelec with the kernel 3.14 for the s9xxx. In the future, I stop releasing LE with kernel 3.14 and completely switch to using mainline kernel

Links to download the images.

https://yadi.sk/d/DHePyyRcterLf

7 Likes

version 17.3_20170622

1 Like

@balbes150, you are unhuman :slight_smile:
You’re a machine mate!
Thanks for your efforts.

Do you know by incident, how to avoid transcoding for DSD music files to PCM in Libreelec/Kodi? Sorry for asking so specific question, but I’m desperate :frowning:

Did you build this image yourself ? If so do you have repeatable instructions to build it ?

Alas, I can’t help with this issue, I’m not well versed in such matters.

Yes, I make these images.

You can see these instructions.
https://wiki.libreelec.tv/index.php?title=Compile

git

command
PROJECT=S905 ARCH=aarch64 make -j6 image

You can ask the user @peerobo , he wrote that he was able to gather its own version.

Don’t forget to install before building the library.

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

1 Like

Thank you !
Do you know if the kernel image was patched with the openlinux drivers ?

I do not understand the issue.

My comments here are out of the context for this topic, but i don’t know where to add them. If admins decide, please move or delete them.
Anyway:

Thanks @balbes150.

This is what I have discovered after more than a month of trying to get DSD native playback on Kodi and reading all the internet for Hi-Res playback and just to save some time in case someone else have plans to try it:
Kodi can’t passtrough DSD music by itself. Kodi only can play them by transcoding to PCM and the quality depends from the user configurations. Actually VIM can handle transcoding for all known DSD standards at “Low” (Low means fast real time transcoding in this case) from the Kodi settings. And can’t do smooth playback at High transcoding quality only for numerous top-end 256bit, 11289k bitrate tracks.

The workaround for playing DSD native or DoP (DSD over PCM) without transcoding in Kodi is possible only on Linux based installations of Kodi where actually Linux take control of playback for DSD files (MPD or LMS for example).

I installed your image, but I have some stability problems with the wifi, so I wanted to know if you took the amlogic wifi driver with your images or if it is vanilla.
If you don’t know, that’s fine, I will investigate more.

I use the kernel sources from GIT Lebreelec. As far as I know, it uses data from Amlogic Buildroot + additional patches.

version 17.3_20170705

Hi Balbes150,

I’m trying to get LibreELEC running for several days, but no success.

My steps:

1. Flashed “VimPro_DualOS_Marshmallow_Ubuntu-16.04_170124”
  2. Write “17.3_20170705” into SD card using Win32 Disk Imager.
  3. Delete “dtb.img” (skipped this step as there is none in the above image).
  4. Rename “remote.conf.vim” to “remote.conf”.
  5. Try to reboot to LibreELEC. Settings -> About Device -> System updates -> Select -> aml_autoscript.zip -> Update

Then nothing happened, the system reboot and Android started.

For firmware versions with DualOS is necessary to update u-boot. Files to update here. This must be done manually (for console UART).

I suggested to add support for multi-boot in the firmware (source code level) that would multiboot was download initially users didn’t have to do it, but don’t have it.

HI, how to adjust gpu ram size on your libreELEC ROM ?

On Pi3 in config.txt

Default GPU memory split (do not change if you do not know what you are doing)

gpu_mem=128

Configure GPU memory based on SDRAM size - overrides above setting

gpu_mem_256=112
gpu_mem_512=160
gpu_mem_1024=256

Hi,VIM GPIO

http://docs.khadas.com/images/vim_pinout.png
Please tell me,where are I2S?

All parameters gpu pledged in the dtb file. For example, here’s the data for fb.

The question You better ask in these topics.

im not sure if i did understand this correctly? i cat put that image (via dd) to an sd card and then select from the menu “install to emmc”?

edit: after reading 3rd-Party Ubuntu ROM for Khadas VIM
ah ok i got it. u need to do it as an android update.

but why this way? isnt it possible to burn this with uboot ?

update 2: running marshmallow 20170303
this doesnt work for me. only the VIM logo shows up on screen
i use external reader (wit status led) nothin happens!
uart debug stops at:

InUsbBurn
[MSG]sof
Set Addr 15
Get DT cfg
Get DT cfg
set CFG

update3:
i’ve tried different android images same result

i’ve put all from the tar to sd card and set all the env var from the amt_autoscript but this causes a stop too:

“rsvmem check failed
ee_gate_on …
InUsbBurn
[MSG]sof
Set Addr 33
Get DT cfg
Get DT cfg
set CFG

update: i dont know why, but i did now set the envs from the aml_autoscript again and today it worked fine. i must have made a mistake yesterday
thank you!

Version update 20170801.

https://yadi.sk/d/ysAgoIWT32M9Hn

Pay attention to use this version of the LE into VIM firmware Android 6 need, download and replace the file “dtb.img” on this option. Without a file “dtb.img”, this version of LE will not run on VIM.

https://yadi.sk/d/PTMTLQPs3Lhhr9

1 Like