Where is the aml_partitions tool?

I need to access the EMMC from a USB booted OS.

I searched the khadas github but I could not find the tool. Where could I find it?

Sorry, I don’t know what you want to do and what you want. Please describe clearly.

This thread here would seem to imply that the correct way for the OS to see the EMMC partitions is to use aml_partitions:

When I boot with VIM3_Ubuntu-server-focal_Linux-4.9_arm64_SD-USB_V1.0.7-210625.img.xz I cannot see the EMMC partitions (p1 p2 and so on) in /dev or with /proc/partitions but there is /dev/mmcblk0 which fdisk says is the size of the EMMC.

When you boot from SD or USB, the partition for eMMC of dts is removed.

I am going to try to decipher what you wrote since it seems to be some kind of a puzzle or a code.

“When you boot from SD or USB” - I understand this part quite well. We are on the same page here.

“the partition for EMMC of dts is removed” - This is the puzzle part I suppose.

Where to begin? I originally asked about aml_partitions tool and that was not addressed.

A layman would think that you mean that the EMMC was erased. I think it is still working and not “removed”.

But a further look shows that the key word “dts” has something to do with a device tree? And it is now removed?

Did you read the thread that I linked earlier? We need to break that down too so it is not too complicated for me, for you and for everyone else. In that thread the original poster uses krescue to invoke the command aml_partitions to see the partitions on the EMMC. He apparently had trouble mountng the partitions so he booted with Ubuntu “xenial” (which is not available to download by the way) and was able to mount the partitions that way.

Finally, what I am saying and have been trying to say is that I cannot see the subpartitions of the EMMC after booting from USB. This is not my first rodeo with devices that use an EMMC. There should be a /dev/mmcblk0p1 /dev/mmcblk0p2 and so on…

edit:

I was finally able to access the EMMC with krescue. After running aml_partitions -m you have to manually mount the rootfs.loop loopback device that is created to the rootfs folder. No mount arguments are needed. In this folder you will see your files.

It should probably be made more clear that this method is essentially the only way to access the files on the VIM 3 EMMC without booting from it.