VIMs Ubuntu 20.04 V0.9-20200530 Initial Release

Hi numbqq,

Need advise on how to enable or logon to Ubuntu-Wayland (legacy kernel) on VIM3 or devices that have Amlogic S922X SOC. On both VIM Ubuntu 20.04 V0.9 kernel 4.9.224 20200530 and VIM3-Ubuntu 20.04 V0.9.8 kernel 4.9.241 20201201, I can only login to Ubuntu or Ubuntu-Classic but not on Ubuntu on Wayland. Once login to Ubuntu and when the command:

sudo systemctl restart gdm3

Only lead to a black blank screen with a blinking cursor.

Appreciate guidance on how to configure Ubuntu 20.04 V0.9 or V0.9.8 to be able to work on Ubuntu on Wayland.

I can not find VIM3_Ubuntu-gnome-focal_Linux-4.9_arm64_EMMC_V0.9-20200530.7z in kresuce, even I cope it from other pc. I guess that I have something misunderstand.

In another word, how can I can install VIM3_Ubuntu-gnome-focal_Linux-4.9_arm64_EMMC_V0.9-20200530.7z in VIM3 emmc using kresuce.

Hello, There is a Krescue image for the, VIM3_Ubuntu-gnome-focal_Linux-4.9_arm64_EMMC_V0.9-20200530.7z showing in the Krescue images folder. That image should show up when you refresh the list from Krescue.

Sorry, I can not find VIM3_Ubuntu-gnome-focal_Linux-4.9_arm64_EMMC_V0.9-20200530.7z in Index of /Firmware/Krescue/images. Can you check it again?

My apologies, I see that is a different kernel version. Perhaps @hyphop could prepare that image for Krescue.

@JiangXL @RDFTKV if it’s not present in krescue, no big deal, you can still use the latest image with 4.9 kernel, just use the latest image present there and do the fenix upgrade. Why meddle with the outdated image anyway,

Also the latest update has patches for improved hardware decoding and fixes for a few bugs, try it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, how can I dump *.img to emmc?

In my previous attation, I fail to do fenix upgrade from minimal system. I’m trying to install this image https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/Krescue/images/VIMx.Ubuntu-xfce-bionic_Linux-4.9_arm64_V20191231.emmc.kresq

can you try the image that has VIM3 instead of VIMx ?
and please show error log when doing fenix-upgrade

i will check it today !! plz wait

2 Likes

uploaded new image - checked - works

2 Likes

We are loading too much into emmc. Is there any possibility that emmc might fail? I wonder if emmc can be changed when it broke? For example with 64 GB new one

eMMC has less chance of failure than SD cards for example, you can rest assure it will work just fine :wink:

sd-cards is easier to change in case of malfunction, the difference will only be in speed possible.

no, SD cards were not meant to be used as system disks at all, they can’t handle things like continous reading and writing to the same memory addresses as they are very basic interms of wear levelling,

as for the Speed, it depends on the SD card protocol it uses like SDIO 3.0, UFS 2.1 etc
so there does exist SD cards that are faster than eMMC,

and the whole reason that SD cards are very widely used with SBCs is because of Rasberry pi’s engineers who thought it was a cheap and dirty way to have a system disk…

eMMC is somewhat better as being a system disk, but if you wanted to be really safe, the better option would be to use USB thumbs drives (using a notable flash controller, that incorperates flash wearing) or to use a spinning hard drive / SSD…

1 Like

Removable emmc is the best of both worlds. Rockpi 4c and odroid n2 both have this feature.

Great speed with great reliability and also user has choice of custom storage.

1 Like

Increases the cost plus takes more space.

Khadas boards are already more costly than others and i feel the only limiting factors are the emmc storage and maybe the qty of usb3 ports (only 1)

1 Like

the connectors those eMMC module use, don’t have more than 50 mating cycles in my testing,
so the connector may be expendable, the eMMC not so much.

hence its better if you use software methods to flash data then to require a physical connector to manually change out, there is a lot less downsides to having the soldered eMMC than upsides
to replaceable modules, so its nothing I would really worry to much about :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like