VIMs Ubuntu 20.04 V0.9-20200530 Initial Release

the question was based on android…

I know what the question was based on

I think you have to use new uboot.

About the USB not working for VIM3/VIM3L mainline kernel, I think I found the issue, it’s a bug of vendor u-boot (2015.10), so if you have current Ubuntu/Android image in the eMMC, and use it to bootup the mainline kernel, then the USB will not working.

How to resolve this issue? There are three ways:

• Waiting for new Ubuntu/Android release to fix this issue
  • Erase the eMMC to fully boot from SD card
  • Not erase eMMC, edit /boot/boot.ini to remove the following lines (in this way, the PCIe will not working)
if test ${port_mode} = 0; then
	fdt set /soc/usb@ffe09000 phys <${usb2_phy0} ${usb2_phy1} ${usb3_pcie_phy} 0x00000004>;
	fdt set /soc/usb@ffe09000 phy-names "usb2-phy0" "usb2-phy1" "usb3-phy0";
	fdt set /soc/pcie@fc000000 status disabled;
else
	fdt set /soc/usb@ffe09000 phys <${usb2_phy0} ${usb2_phy1}>;
	fdt set /soc/usb@ffe09000 phy-names "usb2-phy0" "usb2-phy1";
	fdt set /soc/pcie@fc000000 status okay;
fi;
4 Likes

@numbqq,

1. When will you offer mainline kernel server images for direct burn to eMMC?
  2. Are the usb-issue of relevance when one have latest Android in eMMC, boot mainline SD card and install SD card to eMMC with sudo emmc-install? Are there any other caviats of using emmc-install for mainline kernel?
  3. Can you please add the following kernel parameter to the next kernel build of 4.9.22* (I’m not sure if mainline has it enabled, but probably since it is VERY common to have enabled).
    Add CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MULTIPORT=y to the line after CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MARK=y. Without it one cannot use multiport module for IPTables/NFTables. I know that I can build the kernel on my own, but there are likely others who would appreciate this too.
2 Likes

This has been rectified in the latest Build versions of the mainline kernel…

You can send a PR to the Fenix github team :slight_smile:

Which other option(s) do I have to disable meson-remote in Ubuntu 20.04 than commenting out CONFIG_IR_MESON and recompiling the kernel? Is simply removing /boot/remote.conf enough and is it persistent concerning future kernel upgrades?

That would cause errors in the build…

This is probably a more suitable option…

Is there a newer official version for Kernel 4.9 than 4.9.232 which is provided by Khadas for VIM3? I’m asking since I would like to update to 4.9.240 to fix the “Bleeding Tooth” Bluetooth Vulnerability without building the kernel by myself.

Hello @Z11ntal33r

Current kernel version is 4.9.232, we will apply latest upstream patches in next week and release OTA update at that time.You don’t need to build source code yourself.

5 Likes

Hi numbqq,

Need advise on how to enable or logon to Ubuntu-Wayland (legacy kernel) on VIM3 or devices that have Amlogic S922X SOC. On both VIM Ubuntu 20.04 V0.9 kernel 4.9.224 20200530 and VIM3-Ubuntu 20.04 V0.9.8 kernel 4.9.241 20201201, I can only login to Ubuntu or Ubuntu-Classic but not on Ubuntu on Wayland. Once login to Ubuntu and when the command:

sudo systemctl restart gdm3

Only lead to a black blank screen with a blinking cursor.

Appreciate guidance on how to configure Ubuntu 20.04 V0.9 or V0.9.8 to be able to work on Ubuntu on Wayland.

I can not find VIM3_Ubuntu-gnome-focal_Linux-4.9_arm64_EMMC_V0.9-20200530.7z in kresuce, even I cope it from other pc. I guess that I have something misunderstand.

In another word, how can I can install VIM3_Ubuntu-gnome-focal_Linux-4.9_arm64_EMMC_V0.9-20200530.7z in VIM3 emmc using kresuce.

Hello, There is a Krescue image for the, VIM3_Ubuntu-gnome-focal_Linux-4.9_arm64_EMMC_V0.9-20200530.7z showing in the Krescue images folder. That image should show up when you refresh the list from Krescue.

Sorry, I can not find VIM3_Ubuntu-gnome-focal_Linux-4.9_arm64_EMMC_V0.9-20200530.7z in Index of /Firmware/Krescue/images. Can you check it again?

My apologies, I see that is a different kernel version. Perhaps @hyphop could prepare that image for Krescue.

@JiangXL @RDFTKV if it’s not present in krescue, no big deal, you can still use the latest image with 4.9 kernel, just use the latest image present there and do the fenix upgrade. Why meddle with the outdated image anyway,

Also the latest update has patches for improved hardware decoding and fixes for a few bugs, try it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, how can I dump *.img to emmc?

In my previous attation, I fail to do fenix upgrade from minimal system. I’m trying to install this image https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/Krescue/images/VIMx.Ubuntu-xfce-bionic_Linux-4.9_arm64_V20191231.emmc.kresq

can you try the image that has VIM3 instead of VIMx ?
and please show error log when doing fenix-upgrade