VIMs Ubuntu 18.04 V181030

Will keep updating with mainline kernel.

Please push.
Thanks.

Already pushed to Khadas GitHub.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve now installed latest Balbes150 armbian ubuntu 18.04 image, and i must say it works much faster than your image.

First i thought it was maybe just my imagination, but now i am sure that armbian is at least twice faster on the same sd card.

I did install some software from Ubuntu repositories, and less time was required for it to finish installing with armbian.

I did often have few seconds freezes with your image, with this one i almost donā€™t have any at all.

I did check swap/zram, it looks like they are in use on both images, but the performance isnā€™t comparable, i wonder would i notice any difference if it was installed on Emmc?

Sd card is Samsung uhs3, and images are both Ubuntu 18.04 with kernel 4.19.y, could you please check why is this happening?

I am now 100% sure i am not imagining this, Armbian image is much more snappier than Vim image, and i didnā€™t change anything that could cause sd slowdowns.

Hello Tommy21,

Iā€™m not sure what affect this, but there have some improvement since last release. Can you kindly check this image about this?

VIMs_Ubuntu-xfce-bionic_Linux-4.19_arm64_SD-USB_V20181207

Thanks.

Uuuuu, i thought i was done flashing images every few days.

I will flash this one to check the performance, but i do have a question.

@numbqq

It is now possible to upgrade Armbian images without reflashing the images, Balbes150 is uploading required deb packages to upgrade specific Armbian changes, kernel and other stuff required for Armbian to be up to date, so can you also do this?

This would make the whole process a lot easier, it isnā€™t hard to flash new image, but the whole process of reinstalling the software takes a lot of time, and this would help Vim owners.

I am planning to switch to Ubuntu on Emmc, but i am waiting for the video decoder to start working, glad to see you also noticed this.

Yes, I can provide kernel and board deb packages, you can install them to upgrade,too.

2 Likes

Is it possible for me to build these updated deb packages, without relying on khadas team?

I would do it by myself if someone would explain me how to do it, as i can see most of the work is automated, so i donā€™t believe this would be a big problem?

I do have a small Ubuntu partition on my hdd, which iā€™ve made for creating images using fenix script, i would love to learn stuff like this.

Yes, you can.

When you do some modification you can follow the instructions to build the packages.

• Choose board:
$ source env/setenv.sh
  • Build packages:
$ make kernel
$ make debs

After build you can find debs in following folders:

• kernel deb packages:
build/images/debs/0.4
  • board deb packages:
build/images/debs/0.4/KHADAS_BOARD/DISTRIBUTION-DISTRIB_RELEASE

Note: Replace KHADAS_BOARD, DISTRIBUTION and DISTRIB_RELEASE according to which board you choose.

KHADAS_BOARD:

• VIM1
  • VIM2
  • Edge

DISTRIBUTION

• Ubuntu
  • Debian

DISTRIB_RELEASE:

• bionic
  • xenial
  • stretch
1 Like

@numbqq What modifications do i need to do?

I did try to build deb and kernel packages by using those commands, packages were created.

I am using kernel 4.19.6 with armbian, there are also 4.20 test images available, you are on 4.19.0.

I assume that mali450 r7p0 deb doesnā€™t bring anything new, we are now using this version because arm hasnā€™t updated mali drivers for months?

Iā€™ve seen that kernel 4.21 has a lot of changes for Amlogic boards, will it be possible to use it with wayland in the near future?

It depends on what you want to do.

Yes, you donā€™t need to update this.

I will build a test image with wayland at the end of this month or next month.

1 Like

Just keep all the sources that fenix is using up to date as much as possible, wayland image would be great to have.

1 Like

@numbqq Any way to include additional software/apps to be included when making a image through fenix script?

Hello Tommy21,

You can add them as a package:

Maybe you need to read the scripts about how it works.

Thanks.

Hello @Tommy21,

Iā€™ve built an image ubuntu 18.04 with GNOME wayland for VIM1. But the UI is not smooth and many other issues. If you want to try, Iā€™ll upload the test image.

2 Likes

There is no need if it has a lot of issues, when it gets usable, then you can upload it, thanks anyway!

Iā€™m interested, I want to try it myself, give the link. :slight_smile:

Hi Oleg,

You can find the image here khadas-vim-ubuntu-bionic-gnome-wayland-4.19.8-V20181219.

Something you should to know:

• You should erase the eMMC storage or enter MASKROM mode to boot the image.
  • The first time boot to the HDMI console will take a few minutes, so donā€™t interrupt it.

Thanks.

One question, why is gnome version 3.28, when there is 3.30+ version out, as i understand newer version is in Ubuntu 18.10 repo?

3.30+ supports arm architecture, so i donā€™t see a reason for it not to be in lts version?

Hello Tommy21,

I used the default gnome version on Ubuntu 18.04. Maybe as you said, higher version is in 18.10.

Thanks.