VIM4 Case Options?

Awesome!

Do they have photos of this somewhere? I don’t have a 3D printer, so I have no idea how to look at these…

2 Likes

Thanks!

I hope you get a good result on getting the device scanned with the M2X board. I’ve got mine perched on the m.2 NVME’s cooler with a small book slid underneath to support the floating part. It’s not ideal. :wink:

as soon as i have a case completed to support the m2x ill post the files here for you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Guys,
I made a couple modifications to a previous design to come up with this model:

supports VIM4+TS050 and new M2X

photos following soon…

1 Like

The board is extremely well ventilated, the ports align properly with good print settings.

This particular model only misses the hdmi in Port which I will add in a later revision.

Cheers

4 Likes

So got the KKSB case in a few days ago, finally got around to testing it. Sadly it doesn’t support the VIM4 with the heatsink/fan, so I removed that and installed in the case. I left the original thermal pad on there, so that might factor into some of the results (Not sure it’s fully hitting the case).

Using latest OOWOW ubuntu server 22.04 image I ran stress-ng with the heatsink/fan and with the case:

With heatsink/fan:

stress-ng --matrix 0 --matrix-size 64 --tz  -t 360
stress-ng: info:  [4350] setting to a 360 second (6 mins, 0.00 secs) run per stressor
stress-ng: info:  [4350] dispatching hogs: 8 matrix
stress-ng: info:  [4350] successful run completed in 360.00s (6 mins, 0.00 secs)
stress-ng: info:  [4350] matrix:
stress-ng: info:  [4350]          a53_thermal   54.39 C (327.54 K)
stress-ng: info:  [4350]          gpu_thermal   53.09 C (326.24 K)
stress-ng: info:  [4350]         hevc_thermal   51.86 C (325.01 K)
stress-ng: info:  [4350]          nna_thermal   51.62 C (324.77 K)
stress-ng: info:  [4350]          soc_thermal   53.28 C (326.43 K)
stress-ng: info:  [4350]          vpu_thermal   52.85 C (326.00 K)

With passive cooling from case:

stress-ng: info:  [1154] setting to a 360 second (6 mins, 0.00 secs) run per stressor
stress-ng: info:  [1154] dispatching hogs: 8 matrix
stress-ng: info:  [1154] successful run completed in 360.00s (6 mins, 0.00 secs)
stress-ng: info:  [1154] matrix:
stress-ng: info:  [1154]          a53_thermal   98.90 C (372.05 K)
stress-ng: info:  [1154]          gpu_thermal   97.15 C (370.30 K)
stress-ng: info:  [1154]         hevc_thermal   95.43 C (368.58 K)
stress-ng: info:  [1154]          nna_thermal   95.15 C (368.30 K)
stress-ng: info:  [1154]          soc_thermal   97.06 C (370.21 K)
stress-ng: info:  [1154]          vpu_thermal   96.61 C (369.76 K)

Case is a little warm, not hot enough to singe skin or anything but it’s also silent…Will retry again with KKSB provided thermal pad just to be safe and will post results in the next few days.

Otherwise the case is awesome, very sleek and easy to install (For the buttons the larger side goes inside the case) and firm once all the screws have been applied.

Well figured just knock it out now, the KKSB thermal pad is much thicker and I think that was the kicker for these results:

With passive cooling from case with KKSB thermal pad:

stress-ng: info:  [1153] setting to a 360 second (6 mins, 0.00 secs) run per stressor
stress-ng: info:  [1153] dispatching hogs: 8 matrix
stress-ng: info:  [1153] successful run completed in 360.00s (6 mins, 0.00 secs)
stress-ng: info:  [1153] matrix:
stress-ng: info:  [1153]          a53_thermal   81.00 C (354.15 K)
stress-ng: info:  [1153]          gpu_thermal   79.50 C (352.65 K)
stress-ng: info:  [1153]         hevc_thermal   77.77 C (350.92 K)
stress-ng: info:  [1153]          nna_thermal   77.47 C (350.62 K)
stress-ng: info:  [1153]          soc_thermal   79.58 C (352.73 K)
stress-ng: info:  [1153]          vpu_thermal   79.03 C (352.18 K)

Case felt a little warmer, but I think that tracks as it’s distributing the heat from the CPU more…I’ll try and do some more tests the next few days.

Quick update…Back from a few hours away, VIM4 idling with no load in KKSB case…Warm to the touch, but could be acceptable for certain deployments.

Sounds like temp (heatsink/fan) vs noise (KKSB case) is your choice. The former seems better but the case is nice overall

1 Like

My case didn’t come with thermal pads but I didn’t worry about it until I read your post. I was getting 60C idle running CoreELEC. I brought a 3mm thick pad from Amazon and idle drop to 45C. I also put some heat sinks on ram and emmc.

No further updates on the case?

I got KKSB metal case mentioned further back in this thread and am more than happy with it.

I know others have already posted printable designs, but I thought I’d add my own design, which is almost finished. This isn’t the final version, I just realized the SD slot is missing. It’s also been designed for printing on an MSLA (resin) printer rather than FDM (filament), so the final printable will have a load of scaffolding and need considerable cleanup, but it’ll print on something low-end with a small print platform like my Mars 2 Pro.

The case is designed to hold the VIM4 with heatsink and fan, plus New M2X Expansion with an SSD fitted. It’s got internal supports to leave some clearance under the SSD and cooling slots at that level too, plus pillars on the case top to hold the board down solidly. By default, the underboard video and camera connectors, plus the HDMI In, are closed off, but there are thinned areas in the case so those can be easily punched out. There are also thinned areas in the case to hold the two WiFi/BT antenna. The design is screwless - the top and rear panels are intended to slide into place with a tongue-in-groove design. Hopefully friction-fit will be good enough - if it needs something more to stay shut, the design will change accordingly.

At the moment it’s stuck in Shapr3D on limited free mode. Once I’ve got the board together, I’ll make use of the 15-day trial mode and export into STL both so I can print it myself (and fix it, and reprint it, etc) and I’ll make the STL file and export a nice generic 3D file format for anybody who wants to play with it. I do hope to upgrade Shapr3D to Pro, so other changes may take place - it’s my first 3D project, so there may be a learning curve on the printer side if I’m over-optimistic about tolerances and the angled cooling slots.

This is just a design right now. When I print I’ll post pics and make the design files available.

6 Likes

It looks like the SBC Model Framework has an unverified (i.e. not yet printed) VIM4 model. This can be used with the SBC Case Builder to create a variety of different cases.

1 Like

Hey Electr1! How are ya mate!? At the very first, i would like to thank you very much for your Vim4 files on GitHub. In second, is this possible to 3D print your files and get a case for my Vim4 with active cooling kit please? Thanks alot by advance for your help mate. Would be really VERY GRATEFUL if you can help me to solve this case issue pleaseeee =}}
Best & kind regards.

Hey mate! Is there a chance you’d already created the 3D files for the ViM 4 with active cooling kit please? Would be so happy if i can get my handz on a decent case to fit my nano board… Looking for it badly since ages tbh :-/
Thanks ALOT by advance for your help.
Best & kind regards.

yes, it was made for the vim4 and measured to work just fine.
please do print it and tell how it looks :slight_smile:

regards

1 Like

Yep for the ViM 4 but is it for the one whos include active cooling kit or not? I need a case just for the ViM 4 with active cooling kit and i tried to bought a case on KKSB website but it was just for the version who doesn’t include this active cooling kit sadly… :frowning:
Thank you very much by advance for useful help mate. I appreciate it highly. =}

Yes yes, it was designed with the heatsink in mind

1 Like

AWESOMEEEE! YOU are My Hero! XD
Did you have build it or is it just a prototype file btw?? I’m gonna try it anyways… I will ask someone to build it if that’s the definitive file and if that’s fit the nano board I’m gonna pay ya some good drinks mate! ^_*

Edit: This isn’t missing the HDMI port on this version/revision btw mate?? =}