VIM3L - Opening Up New Possibilities for DIY-HTPC Enthusiasts

I have a little question about the GPU.
The G31 MP2 is faster (in terms of 2D/3D rendering) than the 450 of the VIM1 ?

Because (according to the ARM website and wikipedia) the G31 is running at a higher frequency and support Vulkan/OpenGLES 3, but it seems it has less shaders core and less cache memory

So boards that are currently being shipped out now is without Volumio pre installed?

or can you ship them with Volumio installed for those who want it ?

We are processing the 1st batch VIM3L production now, and can be ready for shipping in the end of this month as we scheduled.

Thanks for the order!

No idea for my question about the GPU ?

Yes, higher performance then VIM1’s GPU.

2 Likes

Thanks, I was just sending out a request for info this morning this particular subject. So the only item missing from the promoted package would be the spacers required to extend the space between the bottom plate and the top one? I imagine one also need to order longer screws to take into account that increased distance between the two packaging plates. Let me know if it is correct and what are the part number involved in ordering these additional items.
Thanks, Robert

1 Like

Hi, just to confirm that a pre-loaded Volumio set-up would indeed be much appreciated.
Sincerely, Robert

1 Like

We will provide step by step instructions to guide how to install Volumio OS on VIM3L then :wink:

1 Like

+1. I don’t mind paying extra; would be great to have DV implemented.

To tell you the truth.

if doesn’t support Dolby vision, Dolby audio, DTS, it doesn’t have any appeal compared to the S905 product.

Now other S905 products are very cheap. And many people have at least one S905 product.

1 Like

Quick look today at the Vim3L 905d3:

Always Presented well

Top Side

Bottom Side and some extra cooling

Ports

Magic Buttons

Woo Hoo the Fans the Fans arrived more cool :sunglasses:

Down the barrel

All Set and ready to BLOW

A quick Look at UI, Basic Launchers

Could not get rid of that screen cap drop down.

Basic Info it’s all there

Wont Dwell on this Rom, as by good Authority there is a SC Rom that needs to be looked at for the Vim3L so more on that later…:sunglasses:

Just a peek at the 3L rom by SC :smiley:

6 Likes

Hi Robert:
Can you help do a review on the new Fan3705 with below conditions:

• Fan only
  • With Heatsink
  • With Heatsink & DIY Case

We want to know your feedback on the noise level :wink:

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello @mr.raudet, if the spacers you’re using do not exceed 1.5 mm in thickness, the existing screw lengths will be sufficient. There are 3 methods to deal with the “lack of space” issue, which can be found in this blog post:

https://www.khadas.com/post/assembling-a-diy-case-3705-cooling-fan

Spacers or washers are not necessary, actually - its just a DIY solution. :wink:

1 Like

Not being a fan of Fans myself but often a necessary evil
Evil being they can attract dust on the innards and Noise depending on design.

The Khadas Vim Setup with Heat Sink and Fan may fall into this area slightly with current design.
But like all things the Khadas Vims is always a Work in Progress

I found with Fan speed set on High or Medium in settings you can hear to Inrush thru the limited space of case lid
and the forcing of air over fins of heat sink.

Remove the Lid and the Noise Inrush noise drops a lot, a slight inrush/noise but as we have removed inrush and forced air over the fins
we MAY not be have efficient heat dissipation.

I am about 1 meter from the 3L with lid off, and can just hear slight wire on low need to get closer to really hear it.

Looking at this maybe a new Case Lid design is required to get that noise low.

Small High speed fans Limited space etc, can often give grief.

The good thing is the 905D should not suffer from heat like 3399/912 etc.
The Auto function in fan settings should keep it under control with ease or low or not required at all just deepens on the user usage

There is a new swish looking case design about looks very fast and maybe the solution.
Or maybe just a new lid for the older style, Vim being a DYI kit these are things we must learn to live with.

I did some tests but could not show overlay of temps while testing
Using Antutu Stress Test

Using CPU Temp Pure the Idle temp was about 28c how correct I don’t know Antutu appears wrong room temp about 24c
the temps for all three test varied about the same there was not a lot of variance to be seen
Fan on fan off lid on lid off etc.

At this stage, Heat and the Vim-3L should not be a big Issue
Each test about 5 minutes between captures
Idle

Stress Testing

Lid off fan on Low

Lid on fan Off

Lid on fan on Low

Not the most scientific test but I am no scientest

6 Likes

@chewitt I wonder when the TBS5520SE will have the updated drivers?
For use in trial versions of @balbes150. VIM3 and in the future VIM3L

As you can see.

@erbas “CvH” is the person who handles the DVB driver bits for the LE codebase. I mostly just nag the business end of TBS at period intervals to pressure them into tasking their developers to send driver code upstream so that maybe one day we can stop building out-of-tree crap that always ships late and causes conflicts.

https://github.com/tbsdtv/linux_media is the upstream for all the TBS drivers.

NB: At least with mainline kernels our DVB support sucks the same as x86_64 and RPi … instead of having the added problem of backporting onto ye olde BSP kernel :slight_smile:

1 Like

The reality is that porting drivers to mainline for these cheap tuner options is probably not going to happen and if it does the hardware will be superseded before it does. There is still the option to stick with none mainline media players where support is better.
However the best thing to do is to only buy hardware that has got mainline support. usually this will be a bit more expensive initally - but well worth it in the end. To my minds the absolute best option is to go with hardware that supports the SAT > IP standard. TVheadend has built in SAT > IP support so this acts as a complete abstraction layer which allows you to choose any SAT > IP tuner and be guaranteed that it will always be supported whatever media player you use.

Shoog

@shoog
No one does constant maintenance for this piece of iron.
Friend you need to know the quality of TBS equipment!
You can even quote other tuners with the extension x tbs5520se dvb-s2x / s2 / s, dvb-t2 / t, dvb-c2 / c, isdb-t
For enthusiasts who love satellites their indication is not functional.
Here we use linux+tbs5520se in every way, that you can imagine!
@chewitt I would like to hear your point of view regarding both equipment.

This is the sort of hardware that is difficult to support since it generally has multiple hardware revisions which need multiple drivers.
The best place to find out what will work in Linux is https://linuxtv.org/
Buy what is proven to work rather than what looks good in the specs. Thats the way to approach Linux and it always has been - save a lot of disappointment.

Shoog

Friend @shoog
We have reached a point … No contribution.
Anyway we need support. Not theories.