VIM3L - Opening Up New Possibilities for DIY-HTPC Enthusiasts

Both OSes. Actually, I use Kodi alternatives like MX Player.

Not having Dolby Digital and DTS is a deal-breaker. If you are advertizing your board as a HTPC; DTS and Dolby Vision at the very minimum should be supported by the board; at least DTS, which has been around for a long time.

Now that you have already chosen the N0N version of the SoC, I don’t know if adding a license (which I don’t think is going to happen, now that you’re going to be shipping boards) is going to help. Or will it? If not, why go about this poll charade; seems deceptive.

1 Like

In response to some questions about how to build this:

YouTube Video: “VIM3L (S905D3): Tone Board + HTPC Kit

Items Required:

1 Like

Actually, we already in the process of the licenses, and I think we can manage on Dolby Digital (Plus), and DTS still possible for VIM3L, but less possibility Dolby Vision.

We also try to apply the Widevine L1 last week, but still haven’t get any response from Google at the moment.

The reason why we still keep the SoC model as N0N is that we are not 100% confirm for these licences, will update here if there is new process.

Good day!

3 Likes

Hello,

Two questions here :slight_smile:

1. I assume, there are already thermal pads also between CPU and heatsink on the top side?
  2. Will there be possibility to connect and configure IR receiver through GPIO, as it on Rpi (for use-cases, where the box is stored without direct visibility from user seat. For example, in case of Rpi its possible to connect TSOPxxxx directly to 3.3V there and configure remote via lirc / kernel decoding)

Appretiated this product, as HTPC enthuisast I am not looking for TOPS, but for good passive solution and HW acc. support h264/h256 with 4k and HDR support as well. Preorder done, crossfingers for CE support / software polishing, hardware looks neat!

1 Like

Could we get an audio version kit with Volumio preinstalled?

3 Likes

Interesting idea!

Actually, we have a plan to build a player based on the VIM3L with Tone Board with Volumio support in the near soon. Regarding the new version with Volumio pre-installed, I’ll discuss with our team and Volumio Team first then update here.

Thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

Yes, of course!

And yes, an external IR receiver is available on the signal I2C_M3_SCL(IR_REMOTE_IN) on the 40-pin GPIO header or J13/U28 connectors, you can check the VIM3 schematic for the details.

1 Like

This looks really nice. Are there any cameras available that work on the CSI port?

Discard this metal plate and give the gasket contact with your metal base (table or stand) and you will get a much better result. I strongly doubt that most users have a metal table that would benefit from the plate. :slight_smile:

1 Like

now noticed the bad news :neutral_face:

That’s true, surely direct contact is better. At the same time, I feel having the metal plate keeping the “innards” in place, as well as adding some weight, makes it feel sturdier.

1 Like

Yes, but the S905D3 SoC of VIM3L don’t built-in the ISP, which means that an external ISP is required for the camera module:

VIM3L Comparisons is here.

Instead, the VIM3L(S905D3) featured with HDMI eARC.

Regarding the camera sensor for S905D3(VIM3L), Khadas and Amlogic might not have to plan to support it in a short term(we will develop camera module for VIM3), but I think will do in the future.

2 Likes

Regarding questions for “I want a 3D model so I can print my own casing”:

Download: VIM3/3L Step Files

6 Likes

Very good! Please do for 3D printing on the M2X board. Thank you very much!

2 Likes

why u need another IR receiver (via additional gpios)?

onboard ir receiver can work with any rc control and can configured for any rc control )

I guess it’s for some OEM projects, some clients develop their products based the VIMs board with external board and a bigger housing.

As I wrote, there are use cases, where the box is stored without direct visibility to remote. In my cases, the reasons like

• attached HDD, working as NAS, placed on the shell/box with ventilation in place away from TV table to prevent noise
  • wife acceptance factor - sometimes they dont want strange box and cables on the shell, which is visible and often cleaned :slight_smile:

In those cases there is only cable with IR sensor in the box and HDMI cable to the TV connected, TV area is clean and tidy, nerdy things free, and “installation” place is hidden elsewhere in the room…

Also not all led are easy to turn off by software (network, DVB-T USB tuners etc.), so half of my installations are placed somewhere out of sight entirelly, so you can see just TV (sometimes AVR), nothing else, keeping TV HTPC rich.

Gouwas housing guess is I think also posibillity, even when I didnt use it (nI didnt use dedicated box for NAS)

1 Like

3D printed shell for VIM3L + M2X, yes I can do that. Would place under low priority for now though. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I concur… Same suggestion.

1 Like

In response to some questions about how to attach an “M2X Extension Board to the VIM3L”:

YouTube Video: “VIM3L (S905D3): M2X Extension (PoE + 4G + SSD)!

Items Required:

Bring Your Own:

• 2280 NVMe SSD
  • 4G Module
  • 4G Antenna
  • 4G SIM Card
7 Likes