VIM3L+Khadas TB Music Playear Build

Well, a simple heatsink is a must for electronics, even a constant flow of air can help drastically…
since it is like an investment, I do suggest Atleast getting the passive heatsink and keeping it as ventilated as possible…

Thank you Electr1. Would you help me a little bit more. I don’t feel my selves familiar to order and build the player.
Please send me a list with required components with their description.

1. VIM3L
    2.Khadas tone board
    3.Heat sink- ?
    4.Case for the parts ?
  2. Do I need a remote control if I cane wake up the player by starting HiBy Music player on my mobile? Can I after words to switch off by the mobile app
    5.Other if necessary ?

I have RCA cable
Best regards

No problem @Bozhidar

I think you can consider buying a VIM3L HTPC kit and a Toneboard, that will give you everything you need to set up your own music player, you will also need a VIM3L + Toneboard fasteners kit to put it all together…

Otherwise, here is the BOM you can follow to set it up…

* VIM3L (bareboard)
* Toneboard
* Khadas DIY case
* Remote (optional)
* powersupply and USB-C cables
* m2 standoffs and screws (fasteners kit)
* New VIMs Heatsink / Passive heatsink
* 3705 Fan (optional)
* Heatpad and Metal plate for DIY case (optional)

please note if you don’t want the fan, you can select the Passive heatsink instead of new VIMs heatsink

Hello,
Thank you. I would to ask additional questions.
On the bare board is preinstalled android, on the HTPC is preinstalled CoreELEK. Is it possible if I order HTPC it also to be with android instead of Kodi. Or alternatively both to be preinstalled, if this makes sense.
I don’t know how to determine do I need fan or not. What about the level of the noise of this fan, as I intend generally to use the player for listening music?
Best regards

Hello Elect1,
Thank you. I would to ask additional questions.
On the bare board is preinstalled android, on the HTPC is preinstalled CoreELEK. Is it possible if I order HTPC it also to be with android instead of Kodi. Or alternatively both to be preinstalled, if this makes sense.
I don’t know how to determine do I need fan or not. What about the level of the noise of this fan, as I intend generally to use the player for listening music?
Best regards

@Bozhidar I am not sure khadas will do custom orders like that,
perhaps you can go with the BOM I have listed instead…
as the bareboard will have what you need

Fan is around 40-50 dB, as given by Khadas,
If it is a problem, you can just use get the Passive heatsink.

I do remember seeing the new HTPC kits using the Passive heatsink somewhere, @tsangyoujun posted them…

Incase you wish to follow with buying everything in the BOM, here is the finalized list…

* VIM3L (bareboard)
* Toneboard
* Khadas DIY case
* Remote (optional)
* powersupply and USB-C cables
* m2 standoffs and screws (fasteners kit)
* Passive heatsink
* Heatpad and Metal plate for DIY case (optional)

Hope that covers every thing :slight_smile:

Hi Electr1,
1.Regarding the tone board I have to choose VIM edition for direct conecting to 40 pins conector, am I right?.
2.Regarding the price. As the components included in the HTPC kit kost 90$, exactly the same components but oredered separately following the proposed BOM cost 108$ and taking consideration that Khadas will not install Android and CoreELEK, as I prefer Android, IS IT POSSIBLE to oreder HTPC kit but with VIM3L board of the type as it is ordered separately- with Android inside?
Best regards.

Hi Electr1,
1.Regarding the tone board I have to choose VIM edition for direct conecting to 40 pins conector, am I right?.
2.Regarding the price. As the components included in the HTPC kit kost 90$, exactly the same components but oredered separately following the proposed BOM cost 108$ and taking consideration that Khadas will not install Android and CoreELEK, as I prefer Android, IS IT POSSIBLE to oreder HTPC kit but with VIM3L board of the type as it is ordered separately- with Android inside?
Best regards.

@Bozhidar you have to ask Khadas for that, maybe @tsangyoujun could guide you through it,
do you not have a PC ?, you could flash android with it…

Absolutely correct

@Bozhidar note that the BOM contains some extras you might need to purchase, you can compare the BOM with the “what’s included” of the HTPC kit…

the included for 90$…

*heatsink is the new vims heatsink, not the passive heatsink

I will calculate and tell you a bit later if you like…

1 Like

Hi, Yes I’ve taken the prices only of the parts that are in the kit. For the rest have to pay additionally.
I have PC and I can flash SD card, but I suppose that with the installed Android It wont be necessary every time to boot from SD card, further more the system could operate without inseted SD card. The SD card to be used only for saving of songs and playlists.

You can only flash android to the eMMC, you can’t run android from SD card…
I think you understood me wrong when I said flash android…
you can use your PC to flash android to the board directly, and use it like you would if you had a bareboard with pre installed android…, just requires the extra flashing step…
this explains the procedure…

you can use your SD card for extra data :slight_smile:

Hello Electr1,
Yes I unerstood you wrongly. I saw instruction. I have two questions: there is not mentioned from where to download Android software? If I burn Android what will happen with CoreELEK?

You can download android from the Docs…

If you flash android, it will wipe Core-elec from eMMC…
So only Android will be present…

Hello Tsangyoujun,
I received help from Electr1 how to burn Android on VIM3l, but could you advice me is it possible to order HTPC kit as it is, but the VIM to be with preinstalled Android instead of CoreELEK?
Best regards

Hello Electr1.
Would you forward my question to Tsangyujin, I don’t know how do this.
Thank you in advance.
Bozhidar
Hello Tsangyoujun,
I received help from Electr1 how to burn Android on VIM3l, but could you advice me is it possible to order HTPC kit as it is, but the VIM to be with preinstalled Android instead of CoreELEK?
Best regards.
Bozhidar

@Bozhidar you need to tag them with @ infront of their name…
example, instead of Electr1 use, @Electr1

@tsangyoujun
Hello Tsangyoujun,
Best regards.
Bozhidar

1 Like

Hi Electr1,
I steel have no answer from Tsangyoujun. I would like to ask if I use VIM3Lfrom HTPC kit with CoreELEC, how can I use it with Khadas tone board as music player?

Hi Bozhidar,

If you need to get Android into the HTPC kit, it is easy. Just use krescue from an SD card, and it will install in a few seconds.

Hi Tsang,
Thank for your answer. I’m new in this field and I’m afraid from my mistakes. I will mention my intentions to understand me better.
Electr1 told me that the preinstalled Android or CoreELEC are on eMMC and only one is possible. I have some experience with Raspberry PI where every swithing of the power supply leads to booting from SD card. In your case (without need of SD card) you can swith ON/OFF by IR remote. If I order HTPC kit with CoreELEK on eMMC and flash Android from SD card, how will operate remote?
If I skip Android and use CoreELEK how can I use the VIM with tone board for network player with cloned screen to the smartphone.