VIM3/VIM3L Ubuntu 20.04 Linux 4.9 V0.9.7-201126 OTA Release

Here we release new Ubuntu OTA update V0.9.7-201126 for VIM3/VIM3L.

Change logs:

Vendor u-boot(2015.01) & linux (4.9)

• U-boot

• Fix LED indicator for VIM3L
    • Fix gpio control on bl2
    • Add lcd reset control
    • Add more HDMI resolutions support
  • Linux

• Linux 4.9.241
    • Add usb vendor id as DSD-capable for Khadas devices
    • Add more HDMI resolutios support
    • Enable some joysticks
    • Adjust cooling-maps
    • Add NPU driver v6.4.3
  • Ubuntu

• Fix kplayer sound issue
    • Fix gstreamer sound issue
    • Added H264/H265 encoder libraries
    • Add NPU libraries version v6.4.3
    • Fix wiringpi

Upgrade guidance:

Based on image V0.9-20200530.

khadas@Khadas:~$ sudo apt update
khadas@Khadas:~$ sudo apt full-upgrade
khadas@Khadas:~$ sync
khadas@Khadas:~$ sudo reboot

Fully Installation

You can refer to GitHub Actions to download the fully images for all Khadas boards (VIM1/VIM2/VIM3/VIM3L/Edge).

By the way

Ths images are built using Fenix scripts, you can use it to build your own image!

Have fun!

5 Likes

Hi numbq,

Need advise on how to enable or logon to Ubuntu-Wayland (legacy kernel) on VIM3 or devices that have Amlogic S922X SOC. On both VIM Ubuntu 20.04 V0.9 kernel 4.9.224 20200530 and VIM3-Ubuntu 20.04 V0.9.8 kernel 4.9.241 20201201, I can only login to Ubuntu or Ubuntu-Classic but not on Ubuntu on Wayland. Once login to Ubuntu and when the command:

sudo systemctl restart gdm3

Only lead to a black blank screen with a blinking cursor.

Appreciate guidance on how to configure Ubuntu 20.04 V0.9 legacy kernel or V0.9.8 legacy kernel to be able to work on Ubuntu on Wayland.

Hello @JFLIM

There is no wayland support on 4.9 kernel, and we will not add support for 4.9, because there are many issues with the 4.9 DRM.

For mainline kernel, we will add Panfrost support, you can use ubuntu wayland.

1 Like

Thank you for the info.

Hi Nick,

High Drop Frames and CPU core Usage when playing YouTube Video 720p/60 or 1080p/25.

I am running the VIM3-Ubuntu-Desktop-Legacy-Kernel-Firmware-20201126 (V0.9.7) in Ubuntu-GNOME desktop environment.

Would appreciate your guide on how to enable GPU and VPU acceleration with this Ubuntu-Legacy-Kernel-Firmware (4.9.241). When in Firefox YouTube playing video of 720p/60 or 1080p/25, I notice very high dropped frames and all 6-CPU cores are operating at >90%.

Even simple background animation on Firefox page cause high CPU usage

1 Like

@JFLIM did you try mainline kernel with the beta panfrost drivers ?

Really? In the past, Firefox youtube playback should up to 1080p without much frames drop. Any way, I will check on my side.

Also, make sure that during video playback, the temperature of the processor does not rise to critical levels, this can greatly affect video playback.

1 Like

I notice even when some background animation on Firefox, the CPU usage is high. May be setting or mali-bifrost drivers are not installed or enabled.

I see you have vp9 working, how will it work with the AVC codec?

Just for comparison, playing the same Firefox YouTube 720p/60 video on Khadas_VIM3-Ubuntu-Legacy-Firmware V0.9 (kernel 4.9.224 20200530) with Xfce/Xubuntu DE there is hardly any dropped frames and CPU usage is much lower.

This may also be related to the bitrate, on the first video it may be higher

@JFLIM that’s probably the DE, and the unoptimized graphics drivers showing a difference in the GPU accelerated task. you can try mainline linux with the beta panfrost drivers, and it should show better performance off the bat. (gnome is known to be VERY heavy)

Same video, not a different video with 720p/60.

I thought with the legacy kernel and mali drivers for GPU and VPU should give better performance for now. I had the presumption that in the VIM3-Ubuntu-Legacy-Image some of the mali GPU and VPU drivers were already installed and optimised, I could be wrong.

Frames drop is OK. CPU usage is high, because it is software decoding.

They have nothing to do with X11.

1 Like

After seeing your results, I double check whether there is any setting in Firefox that is not default. Upon checking the Firefox settings (about:config). The poor video performance is mainly due to the Firefox “layers.acceleration.force-enabled = true”. My error in Firefox setting.

With Firefox “layers.acceleration.force-enabled = false” (default setting) the same video 720p/60 (Wolverine Adamantium Scene) the video performance is much better.

Firefox YouTube 1080p/30, “layers.acceleration.force-enabled = false”

By the way, is there any GPU or VPU (mali-bifrost blob) available for VIM3-Ubuntu-Legacy-Firmware that can be installed to further improve the GPU and VPU performance?

GPU only works under framerbuffer, no X11 support.
VPU works with kodi ,kplayer and gstreamer, but all under framebuffer.
So for 4.9 kernel, no hardware acceleration under X11.

But for mainline kernel will have open source gpu driver Panforst support.

1 Like

Thanks for the info and clarification. Appreciate you good work and support.

1 Like

Installed mpv and youtube-dl but somehow cannot stream youtube video on mpv. Tried two others youtube video still have issue of “Failed to recognize file format”.

Edit:
$ mpv --hwdec=auto --hwdec-codecs=all https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzvVMiXx6Ag
mpv: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2: no version information available (required by mpv)
mpv: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2: no version information available (required by mpv)
mpv: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2: no version information available (required by /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libSDL2-2.0.so.0)
mpv: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2: no version information available (required by /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libSDL2-2.0.so.0)
mpv: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2: no version information available (required by /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libavdevice.so.58)
mpv: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2: no version information available (required by /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libavdevice.so.58)
mpv: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2: no version information available (required by /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libsndio.so.7.0)
mpv: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2: no version information available (required by /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libsndio.so.7.0)
mpv: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2: no version information available (required by /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libflite.so.1)
[ytdl_hook]
[ytdl_hook] youtube-dl failed: not found or not enough permissions
Failed to recognize file format.

Exiting… (Errors when loading file)

Edit: As far as I can tell - libasound, libSDL2-2,libavdevice, libsndio, libflite were all installed.