VIM3 Ubuntu 18.04 Initial Version V190703

Here we release new Ubuntu ROMs V190703 for VIM3.

Check Firmware Page to download the ROMs.

• Account info:
    • User: khadas
    • Password: khadas

Change logs:

Initial version for VIM3.

• update kernel to 4.9.179
  • add gpu fbdev support
  • add preview Kodi (19.0-ALPHA1) support (work on fbdev mode)

Known issues

• Kodi has hardware acceleration, but some video format still use software decoding.

Upgrade guidance:

• The image name contains EMMC means that it is for EMMC installation, can only burn to eMMC storage, please refer to Upgrade Via a USB-C Cable.

• The image name contains SD_USB means that it is for SD/USB installation, can only burn to SD card or U-disk, need Android running on eMMC and activate multi-boot, please refer to Boot images from external medias.

By the way

Ths images are built using Fenix scripts, you can use it to build your own image!

Have fun!

9 Likes

That’s great. I’ll try it now.

Just take a try with default Ubuntu desktop environment

Steps

$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt upgrade
$ sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop
$ sudo reboot

Be note to switch the Desktop Environment:

Have fun

Issue

• Playing 4K video will be super chilly, need more work here :wink:
  • Pre-installed Kodi cannot open anymore @numbqq should have a solution here
4 Likes

Use the MPV video player, much more smooth, same effort then XFCE desktop.

Resolved by reinstalling the GPU driver :wink:

3 Likes

Works well on the 4K TV, littel small to read but all ok

You changed the resolution from 1080P to 4K?

Nope
That is how it started/detected both with Ubuntu and XFCE

@numbqq Kodi labels its codebase in preparation for the next release, e.g. at the point where Kodi 18.2 is tagged and released a PR will be merged to bump the codebase to 18.3-rc. So you are not using Kodi v19 alpha 1, you are using Kodi v19 pre-alpha code and there is no declared schedule for the Alpha 1 release at this time. I recommend you switch these images back to Kodi v18.3 (current release) as the Kodi v19 codebase (master branch) no longer supports amcodec and there never will be an Alpha 1 release that works on the Amlogic 4.9 kernel. Team Kodi is in the process of removing all single-vendor and proprietary interfaces (amcodec, iMX6, omxplayer, MMAL and VDPAU) in preparation for switching the Linux codebase to FOSS standards (GBM/V4L2 or GBM/Wayland). VIM3 will be supported via GBM/V4L2, which is already quite usable.

3 Likes

Hi Nick.
Council. Don’t waste time on this old junk (kernel 4.9). :slight_smile: It is better to use the main core 5.x. the Main kernel is already ready enough to be used in Ubuntu images. By the way, it already has a frequency control (now I’m testing a new image of Armbian and LE and see how in idle mode it is reduced to 500, when the load is increased to 1800), sound and the ability to use HW for most videos. :slight_smile:

Hello chewitt,

Thanks for your explanation.

Hello Oleg,

Thanks for your suggestion. But we still need to release some vendor kernel images, some users may need it. And we will more focus on the mainline kernel.:wink:

how to install the GPU Driver ?

Hello @wei.jia

You can try this:

$ wget https://dl.khadas.com/test/linux-gpu-amlogic-arm-mali-bifrost-g52-r12p0-fbdev_0.6_arm64.deb
$ sudo dpkg -i linux-gpu-amlogic-arm-mali-bifrost-g52-r12p0-fbdev_0.6_arm64.deb
2 Likes

Thanks, but look like the GPU driver not work :frowning:

ps: I’m using the VIM 3 Pro and Ubuntu server(EMMC version)

When you reinstall the GPU driver is still not working?

You can try this to check the GPU:

root@Khadas:~# cd /usr/share/arm/opengles_20/cube
root@Khadas:/usr/share/arm/opengles_20/cube# 
root@Khadas:/usr/share/arm/opengles_20/cube# ./cube 
FPS:    62.3

FPS:    59.9

FPS:    59.9

Can you see the cube on the HDMI screen?

1 Like

Yes, The cube benchmark FPS is right,but why the ubuntu desktop window move look like is not smooth. In my display setting panel the resolution and refresh-rate can not config.

Can you share a video for this issue? And one thing you should to know is that there is no hardware acceleration for X11 desktop. But it should be smooth for VIM3.

Yes, you can’t. But you can edit file /etc/hdmi.sh to change the resolution.

video link is here: [https://youtu.be/PuAU3QUzlgo](https://youtu.be/

So you change the desktop environment, maybe has some issues.The default desktop environment we provide is XFCE, it should be smooth.

My work hasn’t been with the VIM 3 but the older Midgard GPU’s, X11 doesn’t offer any hardware acceleration for Mali GPU’s, You can use meson and build for the wayland desktop. You can also use the mesa desktop plugins for XFCE.

I’ve been working on the Orange PI one Plus and Rock Pi 4. Both need DKMS access and Kernel headers as well. The repo that they gave most likely has that taken care for you though. OpenCL is also what I’m look at for mining while not in active use by me for a daily driver.