Khadas VIM3 is launching on 24 June!

what about the DIY Case… and the extension Board? is it compatible?

@eviltrooper the extension board can’t be used with the DIY Case. :wink:

Can I use this dtv tuner in WIM3?

@crazyturk I see here it supports Linux…so I would say a tentative…yes?

Specifications: TBS5520SE Multi-standard TV Tuner USB Box

Linux Drivers: TBS Download Center-Update the Latest Window & Linux Driver

You’ll probably have to ask their developers about the drivers.

1 Like

When will the VIM3 shipped for the First Bayer?

1 Like

Can the vim3 powered by battery just like edge-v.?

1 Like

The Juice Battery Charge module can only work on Edge-V.

Edge & Edge-V designed with Power Path Switch logic, but VIM3 not, so VIM3 cannot work same way as Edge-V.

But we just add VIN connector for VIM3 V11, so power VIM3 by batter model via the VIN connector still possible, will dig on this feature in the future :wink:

1 Like

Before 10th August, and it’s possible to speed up one week then schedule.

2 Likes

VIM3 basic (2/16gb) running the standard ubuntu-desktop environment, instead of xfce. I was surprised that the overall experience (apart from playing 4K videos), was quite smooth.

4 Likes

Craaaazyy Stufff this VIM3 !! :smiley:

1 Like

@tsangyoujun
Could you please add a VIM3 main section that covers the usual categories as they already exist for the VIM1 & VIM2? Since the first batch of boards where shipped to developers it would be nice to have a subforum for VIM3 questions as well.

2 Likes

Done:
https://forum.khadas.com/c/Khadas-VIM3

2 Likes

8K, VP9 video playback on VIM3 with CoreELEC. :crazy_face:

Link: YouTube Video

4 Likes

VIM3’s “what’s in the box” photo. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have a few questions

Does the VIM3 support usb tethering /RNDIS /usb ethernet? My tablet is the only thing I have that can connect to a wifi hotspot nearby and I am able to hook a USB to the tablet and then to my computer, turn on USB tethering and my computer can connect to the internet, I am hoping I can do the same with the VIM3.

I am looking at purchasing the basic model but with only 2gb/16gb, will it be able to be used as a good htpc to play up to 4k video without a lot of buffering issues? I have heard of many of the Android tv boxes with that issue having 2gb/16gb amount.

I plan on using 3 portable HDDs on the VIM3, would this support plugging a powered usb 3.0 hub to it?

1 Like

I use this on my Kvim1 so it will also work fine on kvim3.

But you can directly use Wi-Fi on kvim3

4 Likes

Hmm, how would VIM3 compare to the Nvidia Shield TV? For the price comparison, the Shield looks like a good viable option since Nvidia always keeps it updated and it has done well with streaming media in keeping it compatible with 4k streaming support, but with always good support and updates pretty much everything video format is compatible, but as for HDR I am not sure it supports nothing more but basic HDR.

But with VIM3 you have everything hardware compatible except maybe AV1, but you do have future proofing such as hdmi 2.1, and now possible to even play 8k…if that’s your thing. Honestly though looking through A311D it has some really good noise reduction and some good upconversion properties, but having them and having the OS incorporate that stuff is 2 distinct things, yes it supports it, but it relies on the OS to incorporate that option.

I play a lot of DVD low quality videos and a lot of stuff that really doesn’t look great on a 4k tv, but really need something to upconvert and get rid of noise and clean up low quality vids.

So I am really know which would be a better option, Nvidia Shield TV or VIM3?

Hi @JohnSmith, yes you’ll need a powered hub in order to plug 3 hard disks into the VIM3.

I just attempted with 1 hard disk directly to the USB port (with a 10W adapter), and it works fine…add a non-powered hub and the hard disk won’t spin-up! :slight_smile:

So yes, x3 hard disks = please attach a powered hub.

3 Likes

Any ETA on shipping out ordered Pro models -:wink: ?

Mid-august. :slight_smile:

1 Like

so long to wait? :frowning:

Yes. that’s the stated time on the website, as well as in our newsletters. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The wait is killing me :smirk_cat:

2 Likes