VIM3 Questions OS/ Modules, Raspberry Pi?

Hi Guys,
So I have been looking for a small Engineering board that I can use to not replace but be an option for my apps which currently run on Raspberry Pi 4 B’s. Unfortunately the chip shortage has caused Raspberries to cost over $200 for the board alone.

I found the VIM3 on Amazon, and on the Amazon description, it said this board supports Ubuntu either on the SD Card or Flashed to the EMMC which as I understand it, the EMMC currently contains the Android OS.

After I got the board, my first concern was that the board came in a nice box, but no paperwork what so ever. While not a huge problem, I figured, since this was an ARM processor, and Ubuntu is a Debian based Linux OS, then perhaps I could image a Raspberian OS to an SD Card and run Raspberry OS on it , which was a complete failure, as it never booted to the SD Card, and would only boot into Android.

So, I decided to look on the website here to see if I could find some documentation about what OS I can run and how best to use the board etc. What I found was that from a Ubuntu perspective, I am limited mostly to a specifically compiled Ubuntu flavor that was created specifically for this board. What that means, I don’t know. What is different between that compiled Ubuntu vs the standard released version. So that is question 1.

Next, I attempted to load the latest stable Ubuntu release that wsa available earlier this week, but when I booted to it on the SD Card, for some reason the screen displayed only in monochrome orange. So I had to take an earlier released version and imaged the SD Card with that, but I was somewhat disappointed that even with a faster CPU, it runs rather sluggushly with your compiled Ubuntu, Can anyone think of why this would be? Yes, the board is only 4GB Ram, but Linux used RAM rather efficiently so this should not be an issue, plus that slugishness was only while sitting on the desktop, under no load.

Lastly, this is an ARM64 processor. Raspberian runs on ARM64, is there any reason why I wouldn’t be able to use that OS on this board? Are there any plans to build a Raspberian OS for this board, or build other Linux flavors?

The OS choices on this website are flavors sadly I have never heard of, but I really need an OS that I can run my apps on, In particular, the reason I went with this board was because of it’s simularity with the Raspberry PI boards, which would let me install OctoPi which for 3D printer owners, this is a web app suite that allows you to manage your 3D printers via this app on Raspberry. But due to the outrageous costs of Raspberries right now, we need another solution to run apps like OctoPi. With out a competing board, many people will not have the oppurtunity to use systems like OctoPi which is a huge asset for 3D printer, as well, there are many Raspberry apps and modules which need to have a competing board to work, The VIM3 has the GPIO, and the other i/o ports which Raspberries are known for, and makers love the Raspberry Pi for this reason. There are currently NO engineering board available on the market that have the ability to replace the Raspberry, and the one that comes the closest in terms of hardware, and pure potential ability is the VIM boards, so my last question is what is the future of this board? What was it created to do? Every new design is done so to solve a problem, what problem was this board designed to fix, or niche it was designed to fill?

Does anyone see the pure potential for the end users usability or the profits from the company point of view to have a system that can compete with the Raspberry and run the same software or similar software to allow us to use the 100’s and 100’s of modules out there for Raspberries, and the tons of Apps designed for Raspberries, in a world where just trying to get a raspberry can put you on a 2 year waiting list and set you back more the 300% ofit’s cost just 2/5 years ago.

I look forward to hearing back from you. I would really appreciate it if at the vey least we could get a Raspberrian build for the VIM boards,

Thank you,

Systopsemphasized text

Hello @systops,

In short VIM3 =/= Rasberry pi,
Let me explain,

Both systems are of same ARM64 (Aarch64) architecture yes, but they do not operate the same way as desktop PCs, which have UEFI bios and unified boot method etc.

These devices run custom firmware that is built for its specific operation, rasbian built for the special functionality offered by the Rasberry pi.

Same way vim3 offers custom firmware that is in the form of custom Ubuntu/Debian OS, but also offers access to other hardware functionality.

The more you look at the documentation provided, you will note the difference in between the two.

Octo pi is just another application that you can run on vim3, the front page advertises Rasberry pi pre configured images, but scrolling down you can find actual binaries and docker image you can install on vim3 itself.

At first aspect yes, the Rasberry pi is famous for software support, but whether everyone likes it and is suitable for them is a different question.

More GPIO modules are made for RPi as more people buy RPi, it’s simplicity for them, same way manufacturers try to make iphone accessories as it is also maintains standards between new phones and 100s of variants are not needed.

It’s the difference between a newcomer to single board computers and a seasoned embedded dev who can get what they want to do on whatever platform is presented to them :slightly_smiling_face:

I hope this is makes understanding of your woes

(P.S for rasbian os, it is open and it’s not to trivial to port, but again, it was not designed for VIM3)

1 Like

I do understand your points, so let me just be clear, I am not a developer, not a coder of any kind. I am not specifically looking for a full replacement for all the features of a Raspberry, but since there are not many options available for those who like to make things and create projects that Raspberry Pi’s are known for, the world became really small really quick because there are not many options in a reasonable price range for people like myself.

I do now know who your target market was when you designed this board, thought that is rather irrelevant for me. I simply want a small dev board that will allow me the ease of a Raspberry (granted things will be different, and I am adaptable), with the ability to install and use common Linux Distros, such a Debian as opposed to Ubuntu, or even Ubuntu, but not a version that I need to hope that someone will build a port for the VIM3. I would really like to not have to get into the entire porting issue because that is outside my pay grade.

I bought this particular board for a couple reasons, which until I really researched it on this site, I kind of took for granted, and that was the Amazon listing said it supported Ubuntu, and I took that literally. Couple that with the excellent price point, and I was excited to think that I had a winning product that would do what I needed and do so at a price I could afford, but not just me, the entire 3D printing community who absolutely loves OctoPrint, but so many new makers are unable to go that route due to Raspberries being now cost prohibitive.

However, it was not until I really looked into what I purchased (since it came with no documentation as I thought it would, that made me come here and read further. That was when I realized that it wasn’t misinformation regarding whether this board support Ubuntu, it’s just that the description wasn’t clear that it only supported a ported version of Ubuntu, and there inlies my problem. I really need to be able to install at the very least Debian in order to do what I am looking to do.

If I am able to install Debian, and manually install OctoPrint, and the system works as I hope, I already have an financer to purchase a bunch of VIM3’s or maybe other versions to create ready to go OctoPrint Servers which I can resell fully configured, with partnerships with other vendors that I have already worked with, and offer the full package for less then one can purchase a since bare Raspberry Pi4.

So my motivation here is to find a way to make this work, which would allow me to bulk purchase these boards, and between my vendors, Khadas, and myself, we all win as products will be purchased and sold.

So while I understand that OctoPrint can be installed on OS’s other then Raspberry, my bottom line question is, can debian with out any custom port be installed on the VIM3, and of not, would Khadas be willing to create or port for this board that would allow me the ability to move forward with my project, to which in the end, I would be looking to purchase many VIM3’s and maybe 4s, or atleast some additional versions to give a choice of processing power based on customer need.

That is ultimately what I am asking in my post here. Again, I am not a developer, and am the furthest thing from a seasoned embedded dev and there fore I can not do what I want on any platform. I need some flexibility from the hardware I choose, and from the description on Amazon, I really thought this board would provide me that. In fact, I still believe it can be done which is the only reason I have decided not to return this board, because I believe that with some assistance, or maybe just good luck, I can get this board to work with the software I need (or the otherway around).

I don’t know what the original intention was when designing this board, who the target was designed for, or for what purpose, but in reading some things on the site here, it seemed like Khadas was for porting more OS options for use with this board.

Lastly, Android is installed on the EMMC, which I have no need for Android. Is there any nuances that would prevent me from installing / flashing the EMMC with a linux flavor that would work for my purposes? Or would it be best to use an M.2SSD? Though none of that matters if I can not install an OS that I can use with OctoPrint.

Perhaps I am over thinking things, but I am only being this thorough in my reply as I sort of took your response as you saying well, you get what you bought, if your not a developer well you should have thought about that before you decided to purchase the WIM3. If you can’t make it work, well that is on you, however, while that may be true, I don’t have the skills to port an OS, and I am just hoping that Khadas is willing to work with their customers who may not be the professional developer, and perhaps with what I am tryying to do, it would open a new market for your boards, since we really have no other options on the market. The only other options would ne Rocl Pi boards, but sadly, their OS choices are even less then the VIM boards, and worse, most of them don’t get any decent reviews… Your boards have excellent reviews, and the hardware (other then the AI / neural network stuff) is exactly what I am looking for, Now I just need the right OS and that is the basis of my post here.

Thanks
John

Hello and Welcome to the forum,

From a huge block of words, this is what I understand you want to use octoprint.

If that is the case then here are some easy steps.

First Part:

• Download and flash krescue from here on your sd card.
  • Insert it boot into it.
  • Connect lan cable for internet.
  • Go to image to emmc and detect check image list and download file with this name Vim3-ubuntu-20.04-gnome-linux-5.17. (Use remote if you have or connect a keyboard)
  • Then press install.
  • Reboot with sd card removed.
  • Now got will not into Ubuntu OS with Gnome Edition image.
    ** You have a fully working os on your device.

Second Part:
Next you need to follow the steps documented by a user on octoprint forum

In user group command just replace the user name with the one used by khadas, I cannot remember it now

sudo usermod -a -G tty {Khadas_username}
sudo usermod -a -G dialout {Khadas_username}

Ignore the HAProxy section, as you can use the octoprint services just fine with port 5000.

This is not entirely true. Looking at the above installation guide is looks very simple and there is nothing that will not work on Ubuntu 20.04 image.
It is just using upstream packages and pip while auto services are coming from octoprint git.

The reason I advised to use Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 image, cause it is upstream kernel and will be supported for long term. It is build officially by Khadas team and thoroughly tested on Vim3 device.

Let me break down this thread into 2 part for you.

First Part:
Get Ubuntu Gnome 22.04 OS on emmc.

Second Part:
Install OctoPrint.

Trust me you will be surprised with Vim3 performance as it is way powerful than RPI4.

Start the Above mentioned steps and complete the first part then try the second part and if you can stuck anywhere then tag me here in this thread.

Good Luck.

2 Likes

No comparison to the Raspberry Pi4. Its a horse and buggy (pi4) compared to a high performance sports car(VIM3 and Edge Pro)

Pi4 is the gold standard in the industry for having plenty of documentation, that is priceless.

VIM3 and Edge Pro you can actually use USB3 port for SSD and PCIe NVMe SSD with the adapter board.

USB2/3 on Pi4 is NOT reliable, tried to use the Pi4 for servers and they just don’t pass reliability. For hobby use it is very exceptionable performance.

Not sure what you are asking about, can you be more concise ( with just a few sentences ) with your post and we can try to help.

Also, this is VERY important. All the Khadas boards have RTC, just order the battery. You will need to order that too since it is not included. Pi4 does not have a RTC they want you to use NTP server.

Thanks for the reply, I will try to keep my response as brief as possible, unfortunately, I never succeed there but I will try.

I can’t say that I agree with your comparison of RPi being a horse and buggy with unstable USB. RPi suffers from being under powered which caused problems with the USB, and causes it to become jittery and laggy. I fixed this with a 4500mA power supply. Since I added the larger power supply, all those problems have gone away. As for the VIM3, I have your port of Ubuntu 20.04 I believe it is installed on the SD Card which I am using until I find and OS I find stable enough and well enough to run OctoPrint on. This may be why I find the VIM3 very laggy and slow compared to running Raspberian on and SD Card on the RPi. Perhaps if I ran your port on the EMMC or PCIe NVMe SSD the performance would be much more as I was expecting it to be with the faster processor.

So, that was my first question which I never really asked properly. Why would the VIM3 seem to run so much slower then I would have expected. I do realize that running off and SD Card is not ideal, but benchmarking the 2 systems both using an SD Card for the OS, the RPi runs faster. I concede it’s likely the SD Card.

Next question, is your port of Ubuntu stripped down, oor modified in anyway that take functionality away in order for it to work with the VIM3? What was the purpose of porting Ubuntu, and what would happen if one were to install the official release version? Does this have to do with the AI / Neural Network logic in the VIM3? I am just trying to understand not question any motives or say anything bad about your decision to port it.

Please forgive my ignorance here, but again, I am not a developer. I am a Systems Admin and Application and Systems Engineer who does a lot of tinkering and making projects with dev boards. Everything from Application Servers, Web Servers, Portals, Dashboards and Control Centers etc. and I am not sure what you meant when you said that the “Khadas boards have RTC, just order the battery” not caring if I embarrass myself, as admitting your don’t know means your open to learn and I have no clue what RTC is / means, and what a battery has to do with it. Since you mentioned NTP, I am assuming that your trying to tell me that the Khadas boards have an internal clock, but no battery to keep the time, hence (if I recall correctly) there is a battery port on the board and this is prefered over using NTP)? This would not be a problem for what I am working on. You can set an NTP server in Ubuntu, so if I didn’t get a battery, Ubuntu could still track time.

Now, I will explain in as little words as possible what I am trying to do, and why I was asking the questions I was, and I will admit, I don’t have much experience with dev boards. I have only used Raspberry Pi 4 B’s and this is for simple reasons. Cost, ease of use, and endless modules, accessories, addons, and other tech that allows you to take a simple Raspberry Pi and you can’t turn it into just about anything you want. The availability of accessories and technologies on the market that support RPi’s is just huge and allows you to create. If you can conceive it, it’s a high likelihood you can find the parts, documents, and software to build it.

While I have wanted to try other dev boards, I am not a wealthy person, and I can not afford the $100’s even s high as $650 for other dev boards. This means until I found Khadas, the Raspberry was my only option but costs for Raspberries have spiralled out of control, and your VIM boards are very reasonably priced, and on paper, the hardware is better and faster and while I have not seen this increased performance, I don’t doubt it is there and it’s how I am running it.

Because the VIM3 especially is very cost effective I wanted to try it to see if I would be able to do many of the same things on the WIM that I currently do on the RPi, and right now, that is getting OctoPrint to install and run, and use the setup as an alternative for those who can’t afford Raspberries. I have tried to do this but I ran into multiple errors while installing OctoPrint on the Khadas, and my first thought was that it had to do with the Ubuntu Port, While OctoPrint says it "should run on a ny debian based Linux OS. So my first thought was to ask if you guys had any plans to build a straight up Debian Linux port in the hopes that Khadas VIM3 for some reason would allow for a better install of OctoPrint through Debian. I spent all day trying to get OctoPrint to install and run on the VIM3, and sadly I had to give up for now.

I will be trying again, and should it continue to fail then I would have to consider using an unofficial Docker Version of OctoPrint. So that is what I am trying to do. I want a dev board that I would be able to purchase around half the cost of a Raspberry, and create OctoPrint Servers for the 3D Printers in the groups I am a member of. I have become the resident OctoPrint expert in a many of these groups, and since they taught me most of what I know about 3D printing, I would like to give beck to those who gave their knowledge to me by creating an inexpensive OctoPrint server using the VIM hardware as it’s the most cost effective, more powerful tiny PC that would make a great server but for some reason all my attempts have failed, and I am merely trying to learn as much as I can about the design of this board, what your intentions were for this board when you guys designed it. Who was your target customer, or target application, and if there is any plans to port some of the more common Linux OS Flavors, as some may work better then others and allow me to see my project come to fruition.

It’s possible that I am trying to use this board in a way that it was never designed, There is just no way for me to know as again, I am not a developer, I don’t understand how to write a line of code, but that doesn’t mean that if I am given the right hardware and software I would be unable to get things to work as I would like to. It’s an ARM 64 system which means it should work as any other ARM64 PC though not knowing what this was designed for originally, I don’t know if there is any fundamental reasons why I am unable to get OctoPrint to run on the Ubuntu Port, and therefor curious if there is any other ports you do support.

My apologies that wasn’t a few brief words, but I did try my best. The bottom line is I really want this board to be a replacement to my Raspberries, and I was trying to find out if there is a fundamental reason why I am unable to achieve this. (some would say it’s my ignorance, and that may be a fair statement, but it doesn’t mean I should not try… This board could be the next Raspberry (that is not an insult) I mean that purely in terms of cost and the functionality that I believe can be done. Raspberry has held the top spot for years with no challengers because people could afford them, documentation (as you mentioned) is everywhere for everything, and thre is almost nothing you can’t buy to add on to your Pi and expand it’s functionality. No one came out with serious competitor until the Khadas boards.

Now, I would like to be able to use these boards instead of Raspberries, but only if I can get it to work with the different apps and servers that I would normally use the RPi for.

I don’t know if this has cleared anything up, or just made myself sound like an ignorant moron, but that is where I am at. I want to most importantly use your boards to create OctoPrint Servers, and offer them to my clients who want to use OctoPrint, but 1. can’t afford a Raspberry, 2. Don’t have the knowledge or time to build their own OctoPrint server, 3. Use the Khadas for other apps and servers that normally would be done with a Raspberry.

I would like to learn more about the whys for this lines creation, who your target market was, and if I am able to do what I really want as explained above, work with your guys on getting a bunch of boards to build my servers with.

Sorry if I made thing more confusing. I am not good at short posts and explaining myself in few words,

If I have made things worse, don’t worry about it. I will keep trying to get things to work and just keep going through trial and error in hopes I can get it to work, I really want this board to be everything I hope it can be but I don’t want to waste your time either.

Cheers.

Sorry, unless you want to pay me by the minute to read your entire post you need to get to the point.

1. etc…
1 Like

@systops I also conclude you want a hassle free VIM3 experience with octoprint,

You say your experience is laggy and slow, do you care to explain all the components of your setup ? Your vim3, any accessories, camera and firmware installed on the device ?

I cannot assure you you will have same experience as using RPi4, but In our best hope we can help make the experience less painful for you :slightly_smiling_face:

Agreed, Same here :smiley:

This means too much information :wink:

1 Like

No, It is official Khadas Ubuntu Image, it is similar to what Raspberry Pi provides RPI OS. Stop tripping on the words “Custom Image”

It is not compulsory it is an option for those who need hardware clock and not rely on internet connection to get the updated time.
ignore it as your use case does not need RTC. the time is updated automatically when you start OS and OS have internet connection.

Ubuntu is Debian. cause Ubuntu use most of Debian packages. All you have to do is follow the instruction I shared in my first post.
If you can follow each step and document your experience on each step then I will try to help you, if you plan to just reply with block of words then sorry.

Try to type only that is important to the topic of Getting OS running on Vim3 and Getting Octoprint running.

Good luck.

Absolutely not! I have been on many forums in my 20 plus years, and this is the first time that someone has replied in a way I would consider quite rude. The reason for the wordy replies from me is because I have serious comprehension issues and it is extremely difficult for me to express what many would consider simple points, when to me, the additional information in pertinent to the understanding of my question. If you don’t want to read it, then don’t, but there is no reason to be rude about it and make comments that come across as insulting when you don’t know me, and obviously did not understand that there is a (fior lack of a better term) mental capacity issue as to why I write the way I do. Perhaps you should consider things like that before making sure comments, and highlighting my difficulties in an embarrassing way, and being insulting about it.

If you work for Khadas, such a comment will really effect my decision as to whether I would choose to do business with a company that would talk to their customers that way. If your just a member of the forum who enguages most with other members, perhaps you should just not reply at all if you feel that your deservant of payment for reading a post. I didn’t assk you to do anything. It was your choice involve yourself. There is a word called empathy, you should look it up and try it sometime.

I think I will just reply to the other comments, and then I will think long and hard before I decide to post in this forum again as no one deserves to have someone talk to them rudely regardless and especially if they had been nothing but respectful from the beginning.

1 Like

Sorry about this, It was just a joking way and nothing rude.

So far who ever replied to you in this thread are forum volunteer as Official khadas team must be on weekend off now.

We are all volunteer and not pay for any free support but for the love of khadas community and Khadas devices we try our best to reply to the forum post and try to help the user :smiley:

Sincere apology if you felt hurt, but as explained above we are just volunteer and come on forum during our free time after a full day working at our respective jobs. Hence the joke about getting paid for reading the long reply, please don’t take it personally.

I hope Khadas team can reply to you soon.

Good Luck.

Sure…
I have a stock VIM3 with the new heat sink (Fan on it’s way)… No expansion cards, nor any other drives erc.
128GB Micro SD Card with a Ubuntu Port downloaded from this site, VIM3_Ubuntu-gnome-focal_Linux-4.9_arm64_SD-USB_V1.0.10-220108.img.xz. I first attempted the most recent port but the video would only display in monochrome orange, so I chose this one.

10.1 LCD Touch Screen Display connected with HDMI, and Micro USB connected to the USB port.
1 USB Dongle for a mini Keyboard / Touchpad, I then switched to a Bluetooth Logitech Keyboard K380 and removed the USB Dongle
WIFI connection. Both the WIFI and WIFI/Bluetooth Antenna’s are connectedd to the board
No camera, no other accessories
Power Adapter Type-C

This is the entire setup. I have not yet attempted to attach anything further as I wanted tominimizee as many possible pieces which could cause issues in order to prove that the board was working successfully before I moved further with any additional hardware.

I have ordered the new extension board in hopes that an M.2 SSD with a fresh OS install there may speed things uo. My guess the lag is due to the SD Card. However, I am using the same SD Card that once had Raspberry on it, and it ran fine that way, so I am less confident the problem is the SD Card but I still can’t rule that out right now.

[quote=" [Spikerguy]),"]
Spikerguy

Hello and Welcome to the forum,

From a huge block of words, this is what I understand you want to use octoprint.

If that is the case then here are some easy steps.

First Part:

• Download and flash krescue from here on your sd card.
    [/quote]

Thank you very much. I will definitely take this advise. I had been reading on the site and saw the page regarding “krescue” but I really did not understand what it was (other then what I will call a Live Imager) and wasn’t sure if it would work in my case, and worse, I wasn’t really sure I understood much about it. Since you have confirmed to me that this would be the path I should take, then I will take it and I hope I can figure it out as it does seem like it would be the right coarse of action and from there, I can likely figure out the errors in the OctoPrint install.

Thank you!

1 Like

One final note. I came to this forum to get a better understanding of tis board. My intial attempt was to find a dev/engineering board that would be not a 1 to 1 replacement for the Raspberry Pi, but something that could function as a suitable replacement, something where I can utilize the GPIO bus for accessories to create projects like a NAS, Switch, Firewall, Weather Station,. This is just an example of what I would like to use it for, not necessarily these exact projects, but project like that.

I wanted to also have such a board that was far more cost effective then the Raspberry. The fact that this board has such great potential with it’s potential functionality, size, very fair price point, and now, from the indirect answers I have pulled from the kind replies, it would seem that this board does check all my boxes except for the potential performance issue.

That said, this would have meant that I would have been looking to purchase a number of these boards, possibly upgrade the the higher performance boards, and perhaps even the VIM4. However, I want to make it clear, that I only work with companies who treat their customers with respect. Companies who treat their customers with respect, and go that extra mile even when it’s not the most enjoyable thing to do.

I do not know if the person who replied to me, who feels that they are so above others that they deserve to be paid for reading a post, actually works for Khadas, or is simply just an arrogant forum member, but if they actually work for Khadas, then I will be thinking whether or not I want to do any further business with Khadas, and purchase the boards I need. Right now, this answer will come from further testing of this board. Up until today, I was not planning on testing other boards, as the VIM3 seemed to be the perfect board, that sadly, I just had not yet understood and I had expressed that in one of my replies. However, now I feel it important to test other boards, because I will not due business with companies who do not put customers first, and treat each and everyone of them with respect. Therefore, more testing will be done, with other boards, and I will be interested to see how they respond to customers who, unfortunately may have disabilities like me and have a hard time expressing themselves, which can infact cause what many may feel a simple answer or reply, instead becomes a very long and difficult post as I grapple with how to sy what I need to without having to write multiple replies to replies, and that is the only way I know how to say what I need. So I figured 1 long post was far easier on everyone then writing multiple smaller posts many of which could be repeats of previous posts, and I may never get my point across. So I couped the way I know best.

If a representative of a company that I am spending my Disability Check to purchase their products, and they turn around and treat me with arrogance and attempt to publicly embarrass me for my short comings, then that is a company I will not do business with. Respect goes both ways. If you are annoyed by a long post, then do everyone a favor, either don’t respond or find yourself another line of work where you need not waste your time interacting with customers who you feel are clearly beneath you,

Perhaps you feel that I am blowing this way out of proportion, and making a big deal out of a joke because you were just kidding or something, well, no, I am not. I have had to deal with such comments most of my life, mostly when I was younger, regardless, it’s an issue. People seem to have forgotten how to be respectful to 0others anymore. This world has become full of hate, and distain for others, and empathy (or an understanding of the feelings of another person) another words, thinking how your comments or actions may make another person feel. What you think is a joke, maybe hurtful to others because its clear, you had no clue why I write such long comments. For you, I was just being annoying to you, for me, this is a disability in comprehension and expression, and it makes my life difficult, and hurtful when someone feels they have to belittle someone me over it.

Next time think of someone other then yourself before you make a comment. Lastly, I would like to know if you work for Khaadas. Knowing this will make my life much easier as I would know whether or not to test other boards, or consider this as my replacement to Raspberry.

Have a good day

First, a quick apology, I am not sure why my replies to each of the replies to my original message have been repeated numerous times and are way out of order.

I understand completely. I, myself, volunteer my time in many forums and Facebook Groups dedicated to helping people. I am considered in most groups and forums as one of their Technical Experts. I support everything from 3D Printers, to Mini PC’s, and many other IT capabilities in between.

I was asked to explain what I was trying to do with the board, and what I had needed help with. Sadly, between my disability, and my lack of understanding of this board, I had no easy way to answer those questions. Fort hat reason, I thought it best to explain everything from why I purchased this board, what my intent with this board wsa, and what I had done to get to the point I am now. There just was no easy way for my to place that in a couple sentences, even without my disability. At the same time, I understand your point about volunteering in a forum where you yourself is a customer, yet you take your personal time to try and help members who have purchased a product and you do so on behalf of that company out of love of their product, and because of your loyalty of the brand. There is hardly anyone that understands this better then me. If you really wanted me to write a long post, I would list all of the Official Facebook Groups, Forums, Sub-Reddits, Review sites etc that I am part of, or an Admin of for no other reason then for my love of the product, loyarly to the brand, and most importantly to give back to the new users who, like me before them, came tot the group looking for help, and he time that was spent helping me, eventually got me to a point where I have become the groups in house expert on those products. So to give back is something I enjoy. I would never make such a comment as if I am owed something I realize now that you were just kidding, and I won’t repeat myself as to why such jokes can be quite dangerous, but surficif to say, you had no idea that I had a disability that prevents me from being able to comprehend something in to a simple answer. Needless to say, it is a hinderance, and let me tell you if you think that it wastes your time to have to sit and read it, think of how much time in a day I lose because what most people could write in 2 minutes and 2 sentences, takes me 20 minutes and 4 pages. It’s one of the reasons that I take it personally when someone tried to make a joke or comment about it, because I am already insecure about it as I hate writing so much, but I don’t know any other way. I have no way to control it.

As I previously stated, please just take a moment and consider the person on the other side before such jokes. Normally I would be laughing with you, but this seems to be the week for people to give me hell about it, as I haven’t heard any thing in a few months about it, yet just this week, I have had multiple comments giving me hell about my replies. So I kind of took it out on you and that was not entirely intentional.

You have offered to help me, and I very well may take you up on this as I need to understand and learn about KRescue.

With that said, I think though I would like to wait until the M.2 SSD card comes in. I don’t know that it would make sense to install anything further on the SD Cards, or the eMMC. The SD Card would be too slow, and the eMMC I believe is where Android is installed, and right now, I am not sure if I will be ever use it, but for now, I am going to leave it.

I hope that the M.2 Card will make the lagginess go away. Thanks

g

The color issue with new images as you have mentioned is due to bootloader conflict, you need to remove android from the eMMC to use these newer images (“Mainline or Upstream” linux kernel)

To remove it, you can krescue or oowow to erase the
eMMC

This new image should be ok:

vim3-ubuntu-20.04-gnome-linux-5.17

Otherwise your setup is fine, consider using some old usb webcam for octoprint camera setup,

It should all run without issues

Thanks, I will remove Android because I will never use it anyway and I will try that image you linked it. I just picked up a 128GB 2280 NVMe SSD to go with the new expansion board I purchased. Once it and the heatsink come in, I will look to install Ubuntu on there. Hopefully things will run much better.

Though I question if I should install Ubuntu on the eMMC and use the M.2 as a secondary drive? Or would it make more sense to install the OS on the M.2? If I do that, does the eMMC have any practical use at that point?

Since I am using a Raspberry Cam on one of my OctoPi’s, so for the one that I will try again to get running on the VIM3, I will just use my USB Logitech wannabe camera. It’s a no name, but looks identical in every way like a Logich 720 and it hardly uses any power, and that is the one I have running on my second Pi instance.

At some point once I get OctoPrint working on the VIM3, I will be switching the Raspberry out for the Khadas, as I have another project I want to use the Raspberry for. I have too many Raspberries which I am glad I got them when they were much more affordable, though I don’t regret having all of them. I can always find a project for the Raspberry, which Im considering a Pihole or a weather station. The Khadas if I get OctoPrint running will be a nice to have a higher performing board and if it goes well in the short term, I will likely pick up another one and use that on a 4 drive storage device and it will act kind of like NAS. Right now it’s got nothin go run it. So at the moment, now that everything has been ironed out, thank you (other then the questions earlier about the eMMC vs M.2 I should be good.

I will follow up with another post once I get everything working and le you know how everything is working thanks to your advice. I also appreciate your understanding regarding my issues that prevents me from just providing short and too the point replies.

Cheers

Hi, 1st time i’ve replied but.

yes you can use any flavour of Linux to install kiauh.
run that an install, klipper/moonraker/fluid and or mainsail, awesome compared to octipi rubbish.
i run the latest 4.9 i think available from the oowoo repository on my vim3 2gb ram/ os is on emmc, but i moved home folder to my Samsung nvme, for 256gb storage for klippy.

i think your making this more complicated than you need to my setup is…
vim3+ts050 +2x skr2 for printer.
software is ubuntu+ klipper and the rest, installed kiauh, you can use server or desktop, i use desktop install everything, i use the vim3 page for ts050 to rotate the screen it’s already got klipper screen installed via kiauh, you create 2 files and copy the predefined text into each respectivly, create 2 files

after i’m fully running i try and remove anything resource intensive, even the desktop get uninstalled.

i’ve just imaged my install to fall back on if i have a crash…

kiauh is so easy it almost hurts…

usb cams work fine, anything other than proprietary screen or cam will not work I believe not through dsi/csi but HDMI touch screen should provided there drivers for touch available away from a predefined os. usb cams work fine though.

read above for reply. any questions glad to help.