VIM3-pro “WireingPi“ & TS050 T-Screen & Vim3_Ubuntu-xfce-bionic_Linux-5.3-rc4_arm64_SD-USB_V20190830

Hi together,

First time we use Khadas ARM64 products for a new project and started with the VIM3 pro boards.

The first attempts with this hardware are more than frustrating …!

Here are the first impressions, results.

Version Vim3_Ubuntu-xfce-bionic_Linux-4.9-rc4_arm64_SD-USB_V20190830

1. The HDMI screen settings are not correct, they can’t be adjusted.
  2. The touchscreen TS050 does not work from SD card.
  3. Qt development is not possible.

We executed following commands:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

This installed qt5 package.

Then we wanted to install qtcreator package, but it crashed with message “segmentation fault”:

sudo apt-get install qtcreator

qtcreator

Segmentation fault

It was possible to compile a qt project manually, without QtCreator.

But the created qt program crashed on start with “segmentation fault”.

Version VIM3_Ubuntu-xfce-bionic_Linux-5.3-rc4_arm64_SD-USB_V20190830

HDMI screen settings were correct, and we could install and develop software with Qt/QtCreator, but:

1. The touchscreen TS050 does not work from SD card.

2. WiFi does not work correctly (wifi scan does not show existing wifi connections)

3. wiringPi does not work

4. the package from repository ( apt-get install wiringpi ) exits with message “No Hardware line”.

5. The version from “github.com/frank180/WiringPi” gives message “MODEL SETUP ERROR … Type: KHADAS-EDGE, Revision: 01 … … → Khadas VIM3”.

6. The version from “github.com/khadas/WiringPi” gives message “Type: KHADAS-EDGE, Revision: 01 … … → Khadas VIM3”.

Should Khadas customers be used as experimental rabbits for a non-mature product …?

Maybe there is a remedy for these problems.

Regards from Norway

Kwklaus

1 Like

The image you use is mainline kernel 5.x, and many part not work, e,g Wi-Fi.

Please use kernel 4.9 image.

I, too, found, some (probably a lot) GUI applications that I need do not work well (or not at all) on linux4.9 ubuntu so I understand your disappointment. What I can suggest is to try installing the armhf version of your package.

At the current stage, the GPU on this board is pretty useless if you are using ubuntu. This is because the lack of a decent graphic driver. To see how poor the performance is, check this post.

PS It seems to me that the Khadas team is more focusing on Android than Ubuntu and cares more about VIM’s ability as a HTPC.

1 Like

There is only fbdev driver for VIM3 A311D, no X11.

Yeap after hours of search I understood that and also Wayland support is on the way. But when I bought the board, I was just expecting it to work as a supercharged RPi. How naive I was.

1 Like

Disagree with you, they are just short of resources, neither focused on the Ubuntu nor the HTPC. The board is attractive, the support is poor.