VIM3 and M.2 SSD - which ones work and which ones don't

:wink:

special edition for lazy guys :wink:

cd /boot
cp dtb.img dtb.bak
dtc dtb.bak | sed  "s/internal_phy = <0x0>/internal_phy = <0x1>/" | dtc > dtb.img
# reboot

In the boot directory I have the following files/folders:

aml_autoscript aml_autoscript.zip boot.scr dtb env.txt remote.conf s905_autoscript.cmd uInitrd vmlinuz-4.9.206
aml_autoscript.txt boot.ini config-4.9.206 dtb-4.9.206 initrd.img-4.9.206 s905_autoscript System.map-4.9.206 uInitrd-4.9.206 zImage

so the cp-command does not work since it doesn’t find the files… Sorry if I miss something else essential

cd /boot

if u have vim2

cp dtb-4.9.206/kvim2_linux.dtb dtb.img

if u have vim3

cp dtb-4.9.206/kvim3_linux.dtb dtb.img

if u have vim

cp dtb-4.9.206/kvim_linux.dtb dtb.img

if u have vim3l

cp dtb-4.9.206/kvim3l_linux.dtb dtb.img

Has anyone got any of this working, still all seems to be miscommunication and smoke.
I have done the above, different ways, and still the nic does now pass traffic.

Hello,
I am trying a Sabrent SSD 256GB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 on a VIM3/PRO.
The device appears correctly seen on Android as a PCI-E storage but on Ubuntu kernel 4.9 is not. Image used is VIM3_Ubuntu-xfce-bionic_Linux-4.9_arm64_SD-USB_V20191231.7z.
The SSD drive is installed on the M2X expansion card.

While a /dev/nvme-fabrics file exists, the following is logged in kernel messages:

[ 1.262301] nvme nvme0: pci function 0000:01:00.0
[ 1.262363] nvme 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[ 1.262440] nvme nvme0: Removing after probe failure status: -19

Thanks
Marco

1 Like

Is that SSD a PCIe 4.0 standard ?

It shoud be PCIe 3.1 and NVMe 1.3. Should it be PCIe 4.0??
Thanks, Marco

no PCIe 3.1 should probably work :thinking:

Ok, I got it, you need mainline firmware like ubuntu 5.x bionic, check the forum on one of those 5.x builds PCIe has been disabled due to a bug, maybe 5.3 work can you check with that?

I’ve problems with VIM3_Ubuntu-server-bionic_Linux-5.3-rc4_arm64_SD-USB_V20190830, the VIM3 does not boot as it usually does putting it in upgrade mode. I see no uEnv.ini or extlinux.conf. I’ve the same with the desktop version.
Can you also give me the additional tip I am missing :sweat_smile:

For reference, I attach here the actual content of the img.

Thanks
Marco

Why would would you want u Env.ini,
Maybe you are looking for env.txt ?

Perhap yes but since I can’t get to install Ubuntu bionic with 5.3-rc4 from SD card, should I edit it in any way?

I am sorry what are you trying to do?

:grinning:
Due to my ignorance I am becoming habitual to such repetitive hit and miss game… :laughing:
Which fundamental steps would you take just after burning VIM3_Ubuntu-server-bionic_Linux-5.3-rc4_arm64_SD-USB_V20190830 to SD card??? Just using this SD image turns the boot sequence into a dark screen!

I finally managed to boot the image in question but PCIe with kernel 5.3 (and most probably any 5.x here so far) does not work.

yes as I told you the problem is that there was a bug in the system and the PCIe function was ultimately removed,
but the new mainline-uBoot has brought support for it again, try using Fenix to build an image with it and see if it works

Thought it will be useful to some one looking for compatible NVMe SSD.
I had success with the Kingstone SSD (https://www.amazon.sg/gp/product/B07BMXS6SH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). With Ubuntu bionic server image running, (with old M2X extension), were able to detect the SSD, create partition table with parted, create and format an ext4 partition. (Haven’t done any performance test etc. though).

The " KingSpec SSD M2 nvme 256Gb" ( https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32848244315.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27426c37BpxhVG ) didn’t work! (Directly on M2X NVMe slot). But it did work through a M.2 NVMe SSD => USB3 adaptor!

3 Likes

Please don’t forget that Patriot scorch SSD as well :wink:

Hello! as I understand it, your OS itself suggested correcting the file system to the correct one?

Android will use a proper filesystem automatically, but on Linux you can use the filesystem you desire :wink: