VIM3 and M.2 SSD - which ones work and which ones don't

Yes a POE injector would also work @RDFTKV

Ok, so to be clear, if you are NOT using a POE router, we would not expect that adapter to work. That sounds very reasonable :-).

At some point I will give this a go when and if I manage to find equipment to try it.

@YeagerTheCat Yes the interface should work with any switch it just wont power the device if its not POE :slight_smile:

Hmmm … ok that didn’t work for me, but I will give it another go later today.

Thats the thing, the only way I know its working as POE is because it powers my VIM3 - the nic its self is non operable, nothing in /dev/ for it, I really need the amazing Khadas team to let us know how to fix this. If its not going to happen then I need to know as we have development depending on this.

Had a look at the schismatics and don’t see a nic chipset on the M2X - only the POE controller, but there are lanes into the PCIe bus (correct me if im wrong) so am i right that the 10/100 nic is ported into the mainboard (VIM3) and assigned a MAC from the chipset there (as it holds 2x MAC address’s?

Just trying to understand so I could possibly help unless there is a kernel in development for this?!

Hi there, did you manage to test again?

I did check and I didn’t see anything enumerated alas.

Yeah, figured - Could someone please from the Khadas team reply, I purchased this for a mass project and now knowing that the additional NIC is unusable has impacted our project, I was hoping your boards would be exactly what we need to roll out.

i hope if u need additional NIC from expansion board
u need change dtb ( by default its not used )

grep eth kvim3_linux.dts -A5
&ethmac {
	status = "okay";
	pinctrl-names = "external_eth_pins";
	pinctrl-0 = <&external_eth_pins>;
	mc_val = <0x1621>;

internal_phy=<0>;
};

ask @numbqq for details

2 Likes

Ok Great, @numbqq could you enlighten us :slight_smile:
Can i build this in/cook this in to current installs or do we need to rebuild?

@numbqq @hyphop
Could you let me know where i use that - i have looked in boot/ on the 4.9 ubuntu build but cant find this.
Please point to documentation :slight_smile:

Ok following now after finding a post telling someone how to unpack,
though im getting this error after making the changes.

root@Khadas:/boot/dtb# dtc kvim3_linux.dts > kvim3_linux.dtb
: ERROR (phandle_references): Reference to non-existent node or label “external_eth_pins”

My original eth line looks like this:

ethernet@ff3f0000 {
compatible = “amlogic, g12a-eth-dwmac”, “snps,dwmac”;
reg = <0x0 0xff3f0000 0x0 0x10000 0x0 0xff634540 0x0 0x8 0x0 0xff64c000 0x0 0xa0 0x0 0xffd01008 0x0 0x4>;
reg-names = “eth_base”, “eth_cfg”, “eth_pll”, “eth_reset”;
interrupts = <0x0 0x8 0x1>;
interrupt-names = “macirq”;
status = “okay”;
clocks = <0x2 0x38>;
clock-names = “ethclk81”;
pll_val = <0x9c0040a 0x927e0000 0xac5f49e5>;
analog_val = <0x20200000 0xc000 0x23>;
pinctrl-names = “external_eth_pins”;
pinctrl-0 = <0x18>;
mc_val = <0x1621>;
internal_phy = <0x0>;
phandle = <0x95>;
};

Hello @JamesT

You can’t use two eths at the same time.

I’m shocked guys, you need to make that very clear in you main site, the reason i purchased this as it had 2x nics with the M2X which I need for our project.

easy way to get 2-3 or more ethernet port at same time
its addition USB-Ethernet dongle its can provide 1Gb (USB3) and cheap some dogles have addition usb3 hub which very usefull for example for multiple usb3 hard drives

sorry for problems

if u still need help to use Ethernet port on Extension board (without onboard ethernet ) notice us !

Yes I still would like to use POE port to use as network port so please let me know how. At least I can use POE and network from the same port

hello all,
I would be also interested in this!
I power my VIM3 via PoE, which works - but I don’t see the Ethernet interface for it (only ETH0). For me ETH0 is not needed, but I definitely want to use only 1 LAN-cable for power & Data. I am running Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS.
Thanks

can use POE and network from the same port

need change DTS

change dts source code

fenix/linux/arch/arm64/boot/dts/amlogic$ grep eth -A5 kvim3_linux.dts 
&ethmac {
	status = "okay";
	pinctrl-names = "external_eth_pins";
	pinctrl-0 = <&external_eth_pins>;
	mc_val = <0x1621>;

// external - onboard
//	internal_phy=<0>;

// internal - extension board
	internal_phy=<1>;

};

simple way

cd /boot
cp kvim3_linux.dtb kvim3_linux.bak
dtc kvim3_linux.bak | sed  "s/internal_phy = <0x0>/internal_phy = <0x1>/" | dtc > kvim3_linux.dtb
# reboot

Sorry - i can’t find those files / folders (I am not a Ubuntu pro :wink: )
I don’t see a fenix folder anywhere (is that the full path?) - what is the parent folder of that? /boot?
in the /boot folder i only have /boot/dtb-4.9.206 with the follwoing files:

kvim2_linux.dtb kvim3_linux.dtb kvim3l_linux.dtb kvim_linux.dtb

but no .bak file?

Thanks for your help