VIM3 and M.2 SSD - which ones work and which ones don't

Hi, I’m waiting for my VIM3 to arrive, do you think this SSD would work? A-Data SX6000 Lite: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N22YS84/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_Ent3FbWFTV5VQ

Thanks!

Hi, I have not seen on the forum that someone discussed this SSD model, I know for sure, Samsung will do, but you understand correctly, not every SSD can be suitable

@manuel-arguelles I have no idea of telling if its compatible or not, as the SSD controller is not specified.
if it using a phison branded controller, it has a high chance of compatibility, but there is no chance of knowing that.

if you need a decent quality SSD for a good price, go with the WD blue SN550 NVMe SSD, its reasonably priced, and has very low power consumption, best choice you can go for.

3 Likes

if you need a decent quality SSD for a good price, go with the WD blue SN550 NVMe SSD, its reasonably priced, and has very low power consumption, best choice you can go for.

CONFIRMED !!!

2 Likes

Yes, Samsung is too expensive to use with speed limits

I believe more SSD’s will be able to work with VIM3 boards once we will get a mainline kernel… Checked NVMe drivers in 5.X Linux branch - some many things changed. At least my cheap Silicon based NVME SDD started to work (there is quirk for it in mainline) in mainline kernel. So AOSP seems to be a solution - hoping Khadas team will be able to roll it out :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @hyphop and @Electr1 can you please confirm the WD Blue SN550 works on the VIM3 and have personally known this to be the case? I have a VIM3 Pro currently on its way to me and was going to buy a drive and that seems excellent value. I intend to run the latest Armbian. I saw another user say it didn’t work VIM3 NVMe SSD Detection Failure. Multiple solutions attempted

Thanks

1 Like

YES ! like other drives from WD Blue series works well

2 Likes

Thanks very much, especially for how quickly you got back

1 Like

[About ADATA XPG SX 6000 PRO 256GB] (XPG SX6000 Pro PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 Solid State Drive)

I thing that the screenshots say enough. :slight_smile:
working well at least :slight_smile:
the armbian is on the sd card , the swap is partition on the nvme disk and i am compiling mysql_cluster.
it is writing at the same moment on the sd card , on the ext4 partition on the nvmedisk and on the swap partition of the nvme disk.
working stable and well .
on the test with dd command write and read speed is about 500MB per second

Do you have

$ hdparm -tT /dev/yournvmedevice

I have the 970 evo and 960 on the Vim3 and a WD NVMe on another Vim3 and just curious how the brand you are using compares to what we have here.

actually i should find again the tool that i have tested it yesterday , maybe it depends form setting obviously :slight_smile:
but …that is for now :slight_smile:

more tests :slight_smile:

Hi, what’s the status of the mainline kernel with M.2? is it enabled or just for 4.9?

@manuel-arguelles It work normal with mailine kernel . Our test SSD model is Samsung 970/980.

1 Like

ohhh transfer speeds are so low (

@hetoc With mainline kernel ? I will find time to test it next week.

Hi, something odd happened. I plugged an nvme drive while using the mainline version of Ubuntu, it didn’t show anything, so I just forgot about it and moved on (while leaving it plugged).

This was an old installation of ubuntu gnome and I wanted to try something more up to date, I wanted to try a rolling distribution (Manjaro), but something was different today: lsblk showed the nvme drive, I was able to re-partition and format it.

After that I moved on with the plan and installed Manjaro (minimal) via krescue sd, upgraded it and found that I don’t have nvme anymore, dmesg doesn’t show anything (actually not really sure what to look for, but nvme doesn’t return anything).

How can I debug or get more information? is there a kernel module that needs to be loaded or similar?

Thanks

After updating uboot to the SPI using krescue it works fine! the model is: ADATA SX6000LNP.

$ sudo hdparm -t --direct /dev/nvme0n1

/dev/nvme0n1:
 Timing O_DIRECT disk reads: 1254 MB in  3.00 seconds = 417.83 MB/sec

This document link gives a 404 error. I require this data also. I am running the latest version of Armbian configured for Khadas VIM3 if that is of any use.