VIM3/3L Google AOSP Coming soon

Can confirm it’s working in VIM3 :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Took me the better part of a day to build AOSP, had to fix some stuff in the build system and tweak a few things on Arch Linux (which is clearly ahead in terms of libraries compared to what Google expects you to have installed) but it installed and started fine. Had to scale to 4K via ADB as it seemed to be only 1080p by default. Also having some screen flashing issues with HDMI, and the khadas fan doesn’t seem to work. There’s definitely room for improvement but it’s a really good start!

Managed to install a few apps, noticed that audio and hdmi cec don’t work, and performance isn’t exactly stellar either. Playing 1080p x264 content in Kodi is very slow, compared to Kodi on CoreElec which could do 4K x265 hands down :confused:

Is hardware decoding is not working (correctly)?

Most likely not. On the flip side, I flashed again it again from the ground up, building AOSP with the tablet launcher instead of tv launcher. I now have sound, and HDMI CEC is somewhat working, but pressing arrows on my TV remote registers twice though so it’s pretty much unusable. Video playback in kodi is still a catastrophe, and my screen is still flashing periodically, looks like any kind of activity is increasing the effect, it’s most prominent when I install an APK via ADB for example. Trying to mount a samba share so I can test some emulation, but I don’t have high hopes for retroarch seeing the kodi performance.

Oh and it’s freezing randomly, that should be noted as well.

Have you been able to compile the atv launcher version, recently with the current source, I’m having trouble to compile it with the google settings provider overlay.

Yes, in fact that’s what I started with, before I switched to tablet mode because it’s easier to debug things with.

I had to force dupbuild=warn instead of dupbuild=err in the ninja.go files mind you.

Well i just found out something that i never noticed before. The update tool from aml flashing tools doesn’t work on ubuntu 20.04. it works fine in 18.04 though. Never noticed as i use a separate machine running ubuntu server to do the compile, untill i needed to flash the device again after a particular issue with my device

1 Like

Are you use this one ? utils/aml-flash-tool/tools/linux-x86 at master · khadas/utils · GitHub

It should work under ubuntu 20.04, I always use it on my side with Ubuntu 20.04 host.

3 Likes

I tried using the same one and i am having issues with permission. Had to use my other system to flash my device

Are there any builds that are NOT android TV based yet?
I am looking for a tablet build.

Thanx

the last set were tablet builds.

1 Like

@Terry

I believe you are working on an official Android 11 build based on this AOSP, am I correct?
How are things going? Any new news?

I would be interested in looking at testing anything you might have in alpha if you are willing to release an Alpha build.

Thanx

VIM3 PRO

3 Likes

Yes, you are right.
If necessary, we will release the firmware to help you test. Thanks very much :grinning:

12 Likes

+1 for official test builds

6 Likes

+1 for tests of Android 11

1 Like

:slight_smile:

Merry almost Christmas all!!

2 Likes

Hello! Thank you very much :+1:, in Russia it is celebrated on January 7th, and yours on December 25th, so everyone, too, Merry Christmas and New Year !!!
:angel: :santa::snowman_with_snow:

1 Like