VIM Ubuntu Mate with Linux-3.14 KODI 17.3 ROM V180127 [EMMC INSTALLATION]

Here we release a new Ubuntu Mate ROM V180127 with KODI 17.3 for VIM. This release add KODI support, we use some packages from @balbes150, thanks Oleg. :wink:
Check Firmware Page to download the ROM.

ROM Infos:

• ROM version: VIM_Ubuntu-mate-16.04_Linux-3.14_KODI-17.3_EMMC_V180127/khadas_vim_emmc.img
  • MD5SUM: e89912102ca1a562aeeb5a05da317609
  • The ROM is for eMMC installation
  • Account info:
    • User: khadas
    • Password: khadas
  • LED state:
    • Booting: on
    • Boot up: breathe

Change logs:

• Add KODI support
  • Enable alsa-midi

Upgrade guidance:

By the way

This image is built using Fenix scripts, you can use it to build your own image!

Have fun!

8 Likes

I suppose this will not be compatible with VIM2? Or would it?

Hi riaana,

Yes, it’s just for VIM.

Wicked! Thank you so much. Question: does it means that playing a .mp4 in ffplay / mplayer / vlc = hardware decoding instead of cpu?

Just KODI with hardware acceleration.

Hello numbqq, Thanks for adding the MIDI support.
I am not fluent in Linux MIDI, but have successfully installed Rosegarden(MIDI Sequencer) and Jack. A MIDI file loaded into Rosegarden plays thru a generic USB-to-MIDI adapter, to a Casio keyboard.
I have much to learn, but should be fun.

Thanks again, RDFTKV.:grinning:

1 Like

Not sure why video hardware decoding only works with kodi and not with mplayer, vlc, ffplay (ffmpeg) etc?

Is this rom using an older version of Linux kernel (3.14) or is that a typo?

Hi rosenblat,

It’s 3.14, not a typo.

Any plans for newer Ubuntu images, latest release was 3 months ago?

Any news about gpu&vpu acceleration, will it ever come to Amlogic soc’s?

@Gouwa, @numbqq, @willow, @Terry?

Hello Tommy21,

We will release newer Ubuntu image this month.

NO X11 GPU driver for linux 3.14 and 4.9 now, for mainline it works but fps is too low. What do you really care about GPU?

For vpu acceleration, you can use KODI, but just for 3.14 now.

Thanks.

Can I build Kodi separately? I do have my Ubuntu Bionic Beaver image built already using super easy to use Fenix script :blush:

Hello Gytis,

I use Kodi built from @balbes150, you can try to build from source code.:wink:

1 Like

@numbqq Any hints how you integrate it? There is probably some extra script you need to invoke in addition to Fenix script?

Hello Gytis,

I use the blobs built from balbes150, you can find here

And I haven’t tried to build from source code yet, maybe @balbes150 can give you some suggestions.

You can also refer to the LibreELEC about how to build.

Thanks.

1 Like

Anyone seen this? https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Amlogic-Video-Decode-Linux.

When do you plan to release Ubuntu 18.04.for Vim’s?

Will it come with latest mainline kernels that add a lot of functionality, or will it come with default 3.14 and 4.9 kernel?

I see there is a lot of work done by Amlogic/Arm Linux community, and we are getting really close to having a really powerful mini pc/sbc.

There are third party Armbian images made by Balbes150, and the last one with 4.18 kernel works great, but unfortunately he is the only one providing those images, i believe that nobody helps him.

We will release Ubuntu 18.04 with mainline kernel this month or next, Ubuntu 18.04 is already supported in Fenix, you can build it by yourself if you want.

Thanks.

This is the first time i’ve tried to build it, i am getting an error, it says something about etc/timezone error after i enter make command.

Problem is that i have x64 machine using Win10, i am running Ubuntu 16.04. Windows subsystem for Linux, it only runs command line, but i think it should work?

I’ve installed Ubuntu 16.04. on external hdd, tried once more to build, at the end of scripting i’ve had 2 errors, first was about how md5 sum is incorrect, try again later was written in the terminal.

Question is how to make this generated files as bootable image, to be used in Vim, i’d like to try it out to see if it will boot.

One more question, are those 4 desktop environments only available for arm(arm64) architecture, because i’ve seen more and more desktops are becoming available for arm?

Is it better to build armhf or arm64 for Vim, what are the pros and cons, because Vim is arm64.