VIM Ubuntu Mate with Linux-3.14 KODI 17.3 ROM V180127 [EMMC INSTALLATION]

Not test Ubuntu 16.04 Windows subsystem for Linux, i’m not sure whether it works

Does the script is latest from Khadas GitHub? Can you provide the error messages?

ARM64 is recommend.

Thanks.

@numbqq, i will provide you error messages when i came back home, and you still haven’t answered my main question?

Error: Incorrect checksum calculated on downloaded file: got bb258c6b7840659a9471f1617ed6aae1265703849708bbbceb3c4edc40db8703, wanted a58d6dd246c37993f3866300bf4f00568c34d43ac9668e11dc9688f0c926e8cf
config/functions/build-package:76 Error: Cant’t get utils sources : https://github.com/khadas/utils/archive/108fb17.tar.gz
Try later !!
Makefile:7: recipe for target ‘all’ failed
make: *** [all] Error 255

It looks like all errors are coming from khadas/utils, everything else went ok, all other required files were downloaded without an error.

All of these steps were made by following a fenix script tutorial @numbqq showed me few posts back.

Is there any progress made regarding hw acceleration, it looks like it is now possible with latest video driver.

Are you working on this, what can we expect from an upcoming Linux(Ubuntu) release, are there any features(drivers and patches) that we can look forward to?

I’m not sure what you want to do, maybe thie topic will help you.

It’s strange that all the archive files on GitHub changed, I don’t know why, and I’ve fixed this, please update your repo and try again.

We haven’t work on this yet, but will do it.

And you can find some patches about hw acceleration for mianline linux here

I wasn’t precise @numbqq, what are the steps needed after it generates all required files, do i need to write it with win32 disk imager to make it to boot sd card in Vim?

Can you explain me the process precisely, is it enough to copy all these files to sd card, and the image will boot?

I am not experienced enough in Linux, with Armbian it’s simple, i download the image, extract it, write it to sd with win32 imager, use vim dtb and rename it to dtb.img, insert the sd card into vim and voila, it runs.

I am still waiting for this to finish, i didn’t think it will need so much time, i am still in terminal, it’s downloading, unpacking, configuring etc…, i thought the process was shorter.

I don’t know how do i make use of @narmstrong patches,how to use his github, how to download and what files do i need to download, how to install them, i have seen that not all patches are for vim, some of them are for other s905/x board.

If someone can make a help tutorial, i would like to learn, tbh Linux is very unfriendly, especially with someone who is using Windows all his life, who knows only basic Linux stuff, who knows very little terminal commands, sometimes i feel like you literally need to draw me instructions for it.

Update…

I got 2 files generated, root fs and boot, how do i need to format sd card to be able to use it, boot needs to be fat 32 and rfs needs to be ext4, am i right?

I did a reboot back to windows, and now those files are gone, i started all over again :frowning:.

About hw acceleration, does this help with watching chromium videos?

It looks like i can’t do this, i have hw issues with my win pc, it rebooted two times when collecting the data from the internet.

I have issues with my pc for a few years, mostly when playing games, i didn’t thought this will overload it, i rarely use it, so i don’t care much about it.

After failure with fenix scripts, i decided to try out the one you pointed me from Neil Armstrong’s github, i looked at the read me file, i can say that the instructions were very clear, unfortunately a reboot stopped everything.

If you choose SD-USB installation, the image you can flash to SD card the same as Armbian images.
If you choose EMMC installation, you can flash the image to eMMC var Amlogic Upgrade tool.
You can find the images in directory like:build/images/VIM1_Ubuntu-server-xenial_Linux-4.17.13_arm64_SD-USB_V20180912.img

About hw acceleration, does this help with watching chromium videos?

I decided not to give up tonight, i built my first Linux image by using fenix script, Ubuntu 16.04 with Lxde de, kernel 4.17, booted it on sd card and it works.

I did have few problems setting it up, xfce and mate are much more user friendly, also synaptic search is terribly slow, can’t remember what exactly i need to edit to make it faster.

I did try to make yocto image from @narmstrong github, i followed the instructions, but some errors came up during the process, so i had to give up, i really did want this image to finalize.

Anyway, i can’t believe you can’t release an image every once in a while, just to see you are working on something, especially with those building scripts, probably most of the work you do is automated, i waited around two hours for this image to finish.

When i start to build yocto image, it gives me some errors, all of them have .py extensions, maybe i am missing some python package, or maybe i need to edit some python file to continue the build process, does anyone know?

Hello Tommy21,

Maybe you can open an issue to feedbak your problem.

Thanks.

What about wayland support for Vim, are there any plans for it??

Hi Tommy21,

Haven’t work on wayland yet.

Thanks.

Do not get me wrong, but what are you working on, khadas edge only?

There are a lot of kernel patches that came out for Amlogic soc’s, and it looks like you aren’t working on anything that involves Vim’s.

I hope we will have vpu hw accelerated images soon, but we can thank that to other companies, and after all that was promised in the beginning, it’s not harsh to say that i am disappointed with your team.

Are you even in contact with baylibre team, because without them all of this wouldn’t be possible?

You promised to support Vim1 for 5 years, but my impression is that Vim’s are totally forgotten by you and your team, you are only focused on edge.

2 Likes

So true! ,…,…

1 Like

One part of the work is done by community, people that don’t get paid for their work, and the other part is done by baylibre, i didn’t even knew that baylibre was hired by libre computer(Le potato s905x board) to mainline Amlogic soc.

If i am wrong, please correct me, but from what i have seen, you aren’t contributing anything related to Vim’s.

You aren’t even active here, it’s tough to get an answer from your team, there is no information about your plans for Vim boards, you can only get edge info on your blog.

When you say something will be available this month, most of the stuff gets released 2-3 months later.

I’ve seen libre computer blog, you can see their plans for their boards, everything is clearly written, expected release dates for their images and boards, but with you we don’t know anything, we have no single clue about all except edge board.

I assume once edge gets released, it will have more or less the same support as other Vim boards have, and then you will start talking about one more new board, and everything will stay more or less the same.

I do hope you will understand this one day, because this isn’t the right direction, we need your support, hardware is nothing without proper software support.

Here you can see an interesting video showing wayland chromium browsing with another S905x board, i do hope it will soon be possible to use this work on Vim.

https://youtu.be/pF6i19oscqg!

1 Like