User Manual Prototype for Khadas Beginners

Yes. The hardware pictures show the interfaces. Below that could be a brief description of the functionality of each interface, something like:

Function Buttons- Key combinations select various boot modes.

(Table of key combinations and boot modes)

Or:

IR Receiver- Receives input signals from the Khadas Remote Control

Then, as you mentioned, links in the table and descriptions could point to detailed webpages, such as ‘How to upgrade the eMMC and SD card’, ‘How to use the Khadas Remote Control’, ‘How to enable GPIO’, ‘How to communicate over I2C’, etc.

So, the customer goes from opening the SBC package and seeing the hardware to pictures of the hardware, showing the interfaces, to brief descriptions of what functionality each interface provides. At this point, the customer has become generally familiar with the hardware, the functionality of each interface, and links to documentation that explains how to achieve that functionality. (This could also be a powerful marketing tool, showing off the capabilities of each product.)

Ideally, the customer would go from studying the printed version of the Beginners Guide (:roll_eyes:) to a similar looking web page, with live links (Printed links don’t work very well). Either way, the customer is given a general overview as a starting point (dashboard) to obtain more detailed information.

Hope this helps

Thank you for the customer services you provide.:sunglasses:

1 Like

Looks good. Might be nice, if possible, for the card to be scaled 1:1 with the actual GPIO, so it might serve as a template. Though may not be practical because of the tiny font required to fit the space.

2 Likes

Yes @TheHermit, I think you should! Likely have to ask @Frank & @numbqq what could be the issue. Maybe hardware related - if all the images aren’t working. From my experience, these images are flash-and-play.

@RDFTKV interesting idea! Though cutting out a slot might be adding an extra step during production. :smile:

@TheHermit finally understand your idea; basically a pictorial guide to the SBC, starting from a hardware layout. Kind of like the old picture encyclopedias I used to read as a kid.

1 Like

Hehe, The user would cut out the shaded area if desired, y’all have enough to do already.:laughing:

1 Like

Update to the GPIO card, this could be a mini-manual that points to docs.khadas.com for more (pictorial, as @TheHermit suggested) instructions.

2 Likes

Prototype 2 of the full-page manual, A5 sized, double-sided, vertical for easy handling. Ideally, this will be replicated onto docs.khadas.com, with clickable links as @TheHermit mentioned. :sunny:

3 Likes

Beautiful graphical artwork. I see that you are more than just a teckie nerd. lol
I noticed two things that differs from my limited experience w/EDGE-V.
1: Perhaps it’s due to having upgraded to Ubuntu, but I don’t need to do Step 3, under the Boot from SD-Card section.
2: Step 3 (above) was required in order to Enter into MaskROM mode, under Flash eMMC, Step 1b. Perhaps Boot, Step 3 would be more appropriately placed as the step following Flash, Step 1.
Also, since the image and USB Upgrade Tool are prerequisites, shouldn’t the steps be as follows:

1. Download and unzip the desired image firmware
  2. Download, install, and run the USB Upgrade Tool
    • Select the downloaded firmware
  3. Connect the USB-C cable to the SBC and PC
    • Enter MaskROM Mode by pressing the Function Key 3 times, within 2 seconds
  4. Use the USB Upgrade Tool to Upgrade Firmware

But, otherwise, I’m impressed with what you have produced. It reflects the professional image that I have noticed in most of Khadas’ documentation. But, I have also noticed that several customers have accidentally erased their eMMC (as I did) while attempting to follow other instructions in the same document to ‘Power on, hold the Function Key for 10 seconds, then press reset’. I didn’t know how to recover until I stumbled across your User Manual Prototype.
IMHO, it is obviously a major challenge to keep documentation current with ever changing procedures, software upgrades, and patches. New customers and novices depend upon the accuracy of this documentation. If it is incorrect or outdated, we end up jumping down the rabbit hole, aka spending hours searching the forums for solutions. Failing that, we post new topics and consume the resources of customer service reps. Obviously, the CSR’s time is best spent receiving bug reports and resolving them, not putting misguided customers back on track.
Perhaps, there needs to be a method of closing the gap between the front end documentation (the ‘How To’ docs that your manual links to) and current front line CSR knowledge. For example, if there is a problem with a firmware package, the customer should be informed before downloading it, not after spending several frustrating hours fighting a known issue, searching the forum, and consuming CSR time.
Perhaps footnotes could be added to the relevant instruction(s) on the appropriate document, with a link(s) to more current forum discussions, which are dated.

Of course, now I have gone beyond the objectives of your User Manual. But, I thought it was worth mentioning. Perhaps I am motivated by having the HDMI display problems with the eMMC Ubuntu firmware (previously posted) and am currently going through the above mentioned process. I have no idea whether my issue is due to defective eMMC or a known issue with the firmware. But, I’ve seen other posts regarding eMMC firmware not working. As you know, I’ve posted the issue elsewhere, others have acknowledged the post, but I’m still waiting in limbo for a reply. I’m not complaining, because I understand the challenges of providing customer support (retired MS CSR). But, I’m only using that as an example of how important it is to ensure front end documentation is current. It’s all about customers’ expectations. Customers expect vendor dtb’s to simply work, as advertised.
If that’s not going to happen, an ‘Out of Order’ icon on the download would avoid a lot of frustration and explaining. Better yet, perhaps an :warning: icon that links to a dated list of forum topics relating to that dtb, sorted on most recent date. I believe there’s already a ‘Resolved’ field that could be included. With a single click, customers would be able to see what they are getting into, before hand. Then, the CSR folks could focus upon fixing the dtb, instead of hand holding folks like me.:sunglasses:

Thank you for considering my opinions.

2 Likes

Yes @TheHermit you are right, @hyphop has a similar thought pattern as you.

Personally, being a relative “SBC noob” myself, as compared to veterans like @RDFTKV, I have to agree with you.

@hyphop recently finished his first build of krescue. Our vision is that some time very soon, all you need to do to get a new OS working will be:

1. Burn krescue to an SD card
  2. Boot krescue
  3. Select an OS from an online repository (online list)
  4. krescue burns the image into your EMMC

Since the image was produced from a standardized, functioning Khadas SBC, it is guaranteed to work. And the installation procedure is standardized across all distributions, OSes, bla bla. Very noob friendly. :smile:

Oh yes, and if you are an expert, like say @Robert, you can produce your own “flavour” of OS, use krescue to make an image, and then upload it into the repository to share with others. :sunny:

2 Likes

Hehe, my SBC experience started with Khadas SBCs. Based on what I have yet to learn, I am still a noob. Just trying to keep up.:laughing:

That sounds excellent. hyphop is a productive fella.

1 Like

I’ve updated VIM3’s documentation according to @TheHermit’s recommendations. @Gouwa will review the changes in a day or so. Will work on the Edge docs tomorrow (that’s a bigger document). :smile:

4 Likes

WOW!!:exploding_head: Now that’s what I’m talking about! It’s as if you read my mind (small font):disappointed_relieved:.
It’s the perfect starting point, describing the hardware and its capabilities. From there, cmrs can dive into whatever details they wish, with a single click.

Thank you so much for paying attention to The Hermit.:sunglasses:
Well done!:clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

You’re welcome! @TheHermit your suggestions are very insightful. :smiley:

1 Like

Alright, all the “Beginner Guides” for Khadas Docs have been updated. #firstpass :smile:

Incomplete areas:

• Indicator LED states
  • Some sub-pages here and there
  • There may be bugs

5 Likes

Somebody has been putting in some full days.:grin:
Easy to recognize much effort has been expended. Looking great.

4 Likes

Now i can find out what I suppose to do not just switch it on and wait :slight_smile:
great work work well done.

2 Likes

Added an additional section for the VIM3L. The only difference is the lack of an 8MP image signal processor. :smile:

@Gouwa did some clean up, and I added a table for the LEDs and additional information on how to run @hyphop’s Krescue.

3 Likes