Ubuntu 20.04 - RetroPie

yes, more than enough performance

Especially for the price point, what would have made linux better is if amlogic could help us out, they are just there mooching off with Hardkernel, no offenseā€¦

1 Like

there is lr-beetle and lr-pcsx-rearmed both work fine for me, pcsx was choice and it was running good enough :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know, but I have played emulation games for a very short while, I bet your knowledge on emulators is far better than mine
:smile:

no, but I know what vim3 pro is capable of!
:wink:

Yes, but we have not reached the full potential Yet ! :fist:

does potential have a limit?
:point_up::nerd_face:

Not unless you are fast enough and break right through it
:crazy_face:

1 Like

Works fine and pad works too

Great, I believe superceleronā€™s ROM works a bit faster as well !

Some of you will know this already, but linux for VIM3 lacks opengl-es acceleration, so any HLE (High level Emulation) that uses GPU to accelerate 3D rendering will be slow. Nintendo64, Gamecube etc fall under this category.

For PSX we have the fantastic pcsx-rearmed which uses a lightning-fast CPU-based 3D renderer. This runs at full speed if compiled and configured correctly - even on much slower hardware. It is an amazing emulator.

(EDIT: And thatā€™s without(!) the dynamic recompiler (which gives me build errors on vim3))

3 Likes

Nice @clort76, have you ever tried x86 emulation on a VIM before ?, it tempts me to try to do x86 emulation + wine to try to play CS 1.6, I know it is a lot to ask, but it goes well even with underpowered hardware :smiley:

Yes there is someone playing around with wine on x86 qemu over arm board.

Check this out

2 Likes

I was working on using multi-arch to run armhf appsā€¦ it does run wine using that methodā€¦ it was also able to run chromium:armhf and other apps in aarch64ā€¦ but couldnā€™t get widevine to work with chromiumā€¦

Now I am working on making box86 to work on aarch64 using multi-archā€¦ if it is possible then we could run x86 games with better performance than qemuā€¦

1 Like

I heard qemu is a vey heavy workload, for emulation, is it really that heavy ?

I have a working chromium armhf version running on aarch64 using docker and widevine works too.

You can use it on manjaro, I have packaged it in such a way that it extracts widevine from official chromeos image and downloaded dockers image along with widevine.

You can check it in this post and a video.

2 Likes

Yeah I have seen the docker imageā€¦ Just want it to run natively if possible thats all

Natively will only be possible when. Widevine releases aarch64 binary.
Until then we only have workarounds.

not exactly thatā€™s where mutiarch comes inā€¦ It was able to run armhf chromium, firefox and wine natively on aarch64

only widevine didnā€™t workā€¦ but the applications workedā€¦ so I am missing some dependencies for widevine or I am doing something wrong

What do you mean by multiarch ? Do you mean over qemu ?

You need to adjust the User agent and the browser version to match with the widevines requirement.