Manjaro Linux - KDE-Plasma & XFCE for VIM1

VIM3 Pro
wrong image ?
i use this
https://manjaro.org/download/#khadas-vim-3-kde-plasma

EDIT: oh ok will use VIM3 forum

Coz I was on Kernel 5.6 while you were already on 5.7

I have packaged the wifi firmwares for Vim1. It will be available for you to install from the official repo.

sudo pacman -Syy kvim1-firmware kvim2-firmware
sudo reboot now

kvim-firmware for Ap6212 and kvim2-firmware for Ap6255 and Ap6256

I have just uploaded the package so it might take 15 - 30 mins to sync to all the mirrors.

Enjoy :smiley:

2 Likes

@Spikerguy, did you check chromium performance?

Do you mean chromium-docker ? or chromium-aarch64 ?
I will try again tonight with Vim1 and record a short video.

Chromium docker of course.

1 Like

Do you have heatsink and fan?
I tested and it lags when there is no heatsink and fan.

Then I installed heatsink and fan so now when I play netflix it is using full cpu initially then around 70% cpu load.

I am currently watching an episode on vim1 and recorded few minutes out of it and will upload it somewhere to share it with you.

Btw resolution was fluctuating between 540 - 750p all the time.

Video: https://youtu.be/1A2gO_24g6w

2 Likes

@Spikerguy

I only have heatsink, fan was removed long time ago, it was too noisy, it’s the fan that doesn’t fit in diy case i am using.

I was thinking about making my own case, because i have a fan taken from an old amd cpu, but i didn’t find any good material at home so far.

I did test Ubuntu gnome on wayland(lima) yesterday, chromium aarch64 works on it, so probably the issue with chromium blank window is related to x11 and lima.

@Spikerguy Total Installed Size: 0.46 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity [######################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts [######################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
kvim1-firmware: /usr/lib/firmware/brcm/BCM43438A1.hcd exists in filesystem (owned by Wifi-firmware-linux-5-2)
kvim1-firmware: /usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt exists in filesystem (owned by Wifi-firmware-linux-5-2)
kvim1-firmware: /usr/lib/firmware/brcm/config.txt exists in filesystem (owned by Wifi-firmware-linux-5-2)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

This is the error when trying to install wifi firmware.

I don’t remember packaging any such firmware but anyways you can overwrite it.

sudo pacman -Syy kvim1-firmware kvim2-firmware --overwrite "*"

4 Likes

@Spikerguy, most of the stuff works like a charm now, i am really pleasantly surprised with your images, this is the most complete image i’ve tried on vim1.

I do have few smaller issues, but i’ll try to googlecheck them tomorrow.

1 Like

Good to hear that, next I will try to get vdec to work and if that happens soon then we will have a complete desktop replacement device yeayy

3 Likes

@Spikerguy, I’ve tried to run vlc with mkv 720p video, and i was checking if it’s accelerated, it doesn’t have many dropped frames, it runs ok.

I am getting package is not available for the aarch64 architecture error in pamac aur, what can i do with it?

I was looking about adding “aarch64”, but i don’t know what file i need to edit, makepkg -a runs through terminal i suppose?

You can use mpv for better smoothness of video playback

Which package are you trying to install ?

2 Likes

@Spikerguy,

Wooow that’s quick, yeah i know mpv is better, it was just for the test.

Tux paint for a child, it is aarch64 supported, available in Ubuntu repo.

Yes use this aur PKGBUILD and do makepkg -asci or makepkg -Asci I am not sure but one of it should work.

Good luck also make sure you have heatsink while compiling .

1 Like

Hi @Spikerguy, Does Manjaro works on VIM3? Can someone suggest me any OS which support MIPI camera on VIM3, TS050 touchscreen and its screen rotation to Landscape. Because I use Ubuntu which doesn’t support screen rotation and also tried android Pie which supports everthing, but MIPI camera output is somewhat blueish like shown here? Any suggestion would work.

No distro can support MIPI and TS050 yet until its drivers are written for mainline kernel.

Drivers are only present for legacy kernel like 4.19.

2 Likes

Updated to kernel 5.7.6

1 Like

hi, is this kernel fixing the brcmfmac issue with country code preventing it from letting the chipset usinf for example channel 13 wlan networks ?

1 Like

I am not aware of this as I have not tested wifi in specific channels.

There was not change to the wifi firmware, So I doubt that there will be any changes to the driver.

1 Like