Truck dashboard

Just curious to know.

Are you going to make use of OBDII with vim3 on Android and get the readings from the obd right?

Also which lcd are you using? If its ts050 did you get it to work in landscape mode?

Edit i got my answers from ur first post.

You can use Bluetooth obd2 too. But I like ur plan.

Great work.

2 Likes

I noticed you have 5 volt fans, do you plan on powering them thru the VIM3? Current supplied by GPIO should not exceed 500mA. Though I suspect their combined total draw is considerably less than 500mA. Always good to check it.
May also be a good idea to check your fans for acceptable noise, your instrument cluster housing may serves as a speaker box for the fan’s noise, amplifying their noise.

1 Like

I will be using this first, untested in my truck with the VIM3 as it is in the shop right now. I have tested it with a tablet and OTG cable and that worked great, but killed the battery real quick. So in looking for a charging OTG cable, I fell down this “SBC” rabbit hole.
If the USB doesn’t work I will resort to Bluetooth. I had to put a rely on my 12v at the obd2 connector to rest the Bluetooth dongle, I was running into an issue whare I would have to unplug and replug the adapter. That got super annoying.
All that has led me here. I believe it will be super cool and able to be adapted to and car newer than 96 real easy and older ones with a little work.
Thank you for the like. It’s nice to hear your creations are cool!
As far as the fans go, I was thinking of using the VIM3 to trigger a rely? I will try to rubber mont them? Only ideas till it’s in hand.
I have 3" exhaust and a loud stereo, not sure if that noise will be heard? LoL.
But I do take long road trips from time to time and hearing that in the background will get annoying :joy:

1 Like

Yeah, I have an older(old) car, I found the best way to fix squeaks and rattles was an extra 200 watts and a large sub. Of course, that probably resulted in more rattles, but I can’t hear them, so they have in effect, been fixed.:laughing:

1 Like

Have you had a chance to run that ROM you were talking about?

What is the difference between an “app” and an “.apk” file?
I had different results with both?

I will try it tonight, still a couple of hours from the tech.

An apk is the install package for an app. Closest Window’s equivalent would be a setup.exe or InstallShield exe for an app/program.
Generally an app would be installed by Google Play store or Amazon play store. You don’t see it, but an apk is used. When you directly download an app’s apk from an alternate source, you often get an older or possibly modified apk/app. That being said, I sometimes use DLed apks myself.

1 Like

Thank you for the information.
I got the most recent version I could find of torque pro. Maybe the app store doesn’t have that one yet?
I got my lay out completed. So I will do the ROM update if you find it fixes the problem.

If you do change ROMs, prior to the change, you may want to use Titanium Backup to back up your current apps, settings and user data. Then hopefully it will be easier and quicker to migrate your current setup to the possible other ROM.

1 Like

Do I install that on the VIM3?

Yes, it is available on Google Play store. I have not used it in some time. So pretty rusty about it’s operation, but it is not difficult.
However, I just noticed it requires root. May be OK on the Khadas firmware, as I think it is rooted. But superceleron’s ROMs are not rooted by default. Not sure how easy that would be to change.

I loaded his ROM. All seemed well until I added the seventh or eighth display.
Torque Lite became very buggy after that. Not sure where to go from here. Some apps designed for phones or tablets may behave differently on SBCs or TV boxes.
Not sure if it is the firmware, the app, or something else.

I used a screen recorder to show behavior. Torque Lite mostly seems to work well, but has some bugs. Turn your volume down before playing the video, the screen recorder app defaults to record the microphone. I forgot to untick that option, VIM3 has no mic so it picked up a buzz.

1 Like

Did it fill the screen? Looked like it.
I will update the ROM later tonight and try if that’s the case.
I have to work tomorrow so I won’t be up late tonight. I might be a day or two before I report back.
Thank you some much for the video and your efforts :blush:

There is a small strip at the bottom. Looks like the area the toolbar would occupy.
You may want to wait, I don’t know when and I cannot be certain, but he may have a newer version coming. Don’t hold me to it, but might be worth waiting a bit.

No worries, I’ll be around.

Will do.
The new screen should be here tomorrow.
I will try it on there and see what I get.

1 Like

Indeed, I went from 150 watts to 600 on a 30cm, ScanSpeak subwoofer and it cured many ills in my car.

2 Likes

Bahahahahaha :joy: :joy:
Love it!!

5 Likes

Nice project looks cool :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you. It has been a long time coming