Truck dashboard

Deleted the app. Downloaded the .apk file for it and it seems to work well. I got a layout done last night, and let it run when I was sleeping. Woke up and it’s all good.
The one thing I can said that I don’t like is it has seemed to resize the screen? The bottom and the right side are cut short of the edges.
The screen rotation in the app only makes it worse.
I will update again when the actual screen shows up and I try it there( not in the house on my big screen.)

Glad you were successcul in loading the new F/W. My fault, I should have(and usually do, was oversight) mentioned data would be lost after upgrading firmware, my apologies.
For the future, Khadas Krescue can be used to backup the entire eMMC including user data and settings, so one can always get back to where they were. Also an app called Titanium Backup can save/restore user apps and data.

1 Like

Does the app resize the screen or is the effect also in the GUI? If it is the latter, in display settings there is a setting called Screen Position, it can scale the screen to fit in some cases.

Did you work out a solution for the XPWR pads already?

I don’t believe the app resizes? I have run it on my phone(unlocked BLU vivo XL4) and a tablet(Samsung Galaxy E tab. It didn’t.
It almost feels like the x and y sensors are try to be used by the app and the VIM3 doesn’t support it? Not sure, talking from an end user point of view.

I just ordered a new soldering iron :flushed:
As far as how it functions is still kinda of in the air. The DEI528t will work, I just need a delay timer and a second DEI528t. One will pulse with power on and close the contact, the second will have a delay timer that will pulse a second one when the circuit goes low(no power) for a second contact closure when I turn the key off.
In my head the works, on paper too?
I will order the couple of parts I (think) need. If it works I will posts part numbers and what not.

I also contacted the distributor of the for-mentioned XPWR link (a sample) if they show up and look like the will line up well with the pads on the VIM3 I may try to modify my case so I won’t have to solder the board. Maybe it could be an optional case for the future? One with solder-able points on the case?

Is it possible to power the board via the GPIO?
If so, I found an app the will put the device to sleep with power detection at the USB port. The I could wire constant power to the GPIO and switched power to the USB. No need for relays.

It doesn’t happen in the GUI. Just the “dashboard”

Any chance it is a resolution/ratio issue? Be interesting to see how it works on the mobile display.

If I understand your explanation and your goal is to put the VIM3 to sleep with the key-off, sounds like it should work. I would check VIM3 power consumption when it sleeps to insure that the resulting constant drain on the vehicle’s battery is tolerable over time.

On the Pogo pins, I was thinking a piece of perfboard big enough to span the mounting holes in the VIM3’s PCB and the XPWR pads location. Mount Pogo pins to perfboard and attach leads for switch/relay. Perfboard mounts to VIM3 PCB, engages Pogo pins. If the relays are small and the perfboard large enough, relays and other component could all be mounted to the perfboard. Of course, some measuring would be needed to determine the length of Pogo pins and the spacers/standoffs hardware used to mount the board.
Though a case with the pins would be cool.

VIM3 cannot be powered over GPIO, see here.

1 Like

I will check into this tonight, I don’t recall a display issue, however, I am Captain Super Noob on that app.:grin:

1 Like

bahahahahaha :joy: :joy:
A bit of clarification:
When I was using the app from the app store it would crash after I did the FW update. I then down loaded the .apk file and then it worked but cut the right side and the bottom of the screen.
I’m curious of the different screen too? It says it will be here Monday.

I will look into the “perfboard”
I plan on putting the whole thing together inside the stock housing for my dashboard.
I’ll post pictures of my plans later.

1 Like

So far I have only set up the app and dashboard. My transmission went out and my truck is in the shop right now.
That being said, I haven’t connected to my OBD2 port yet. My VIM3 is just connected to my TV in the house.

Hope the repair doesn’t empty your wallet. Transmission work can get pricey. What kind of truck do you have?

1 Like

1988 Chevy C1500
6.0L and 4L80e from a 2005 truck.

It will be worth it no matter the cost, but yes, not breaking the bank would be awesome.

Placed my order today. I will update when I have them.

Looking forward to it.
I might have to grab one of those Pogo kits.

I did noticed the whole Torque display on the new firmware is slightly skewed to the left. I have not encountered that on the few other apps I have installed.
Tomorrow I will re-flash superceleron’s ROM and see if I notice it there, though it doesn’t look like it from the video I posted above.

1 Like

Thank you.

I’m not sure what this is? Could you explain please?

It is a custom ROM(Firmware). @superceleron is a firmware developer from Freaktab with a nice touch for improving the stability, features and performance over stock firmware. He is also a member of this forum.
The ROM of his I have used is not based on the firmware that Khadas just released.
I do not know if he plans a ROM based on the latest firmware, but his last ROM is pretty nice.
Custom ROMs are flashed to the VIM3 in the same manner Khadas firmware is flashed. Same tool is used to flash his ROM images.
He also often does Android TV ROMs as well, but in your use case, his regular Android is probably better suited to your needs.

1 Like

Is it the link after I buy him a beer?

No beer required, but we do try to encourage the custom ROM developers, as they do their work gratis. Beer is essential to the Dev process.:laughing:
Link to his latest VIM3 ROM is here.

1 Like

I will do my best to support that in witch I love!
Thanks for the link.
Here are some pictures of the before and after of my stock dashboard unit.
I got (2) 25mm fans to blow air through it and try to keep the heat down. I’m pointing at the access hole for my wires.
(upload://oC0Xz2TWE4hS6r3ZWNe61gkjc8f.jpeg)

2 Likes