Truck dashboard

Are you planning on a heatsink for the CPU?

Glad your truck is coming home. Did your bike survive the transmission repair?

1 Like

Yes the bike survived :grin:
No heatsink in the plans. The two fans blow in to the middle and move alot of air. I’m hoping that will be good.

Getting close now. Looking forward to it.

I use this app to monitor CPU temps, it has a floating widget that can be overlayed, help get an idea about needing a heatsink or not.

1 Like

I’ll try it.
Just put it on my phone

What is a hot temp?
What is a to hot temp

When it comes to electronics, I loath heat, so I may be biased toward lower temps. Typically, electronics perform better, are more reliable and will last longer, when lower temps are maintained.

Yours will exist in a sometimes very hot environment. In the summers cabin heat can climb pretty high. In the winters, the instrument cluster’s temp may be elevated by the climate system’s plumbing.
Once the CPU reaches a certain temp, it will begin to throttle.
Much has been written on the VIM’s thermals, for instance see here(a long read, but informative).
The A311D is a powerful SoC, even when throttling, performance will probably be more than adequate for your use case.

1 Like

Progress is happening!

3 Likes

The protective film has come off. This part of my project is complete. The truck will be back this coming week. I’ll get it installed and make a final update.
I’ll keep the post updated as time goes on with mods or probs that may come to light.

5 Likes

Got my momentary relay setup completed. One momentary press at ignition on, one momentary press at ignition off

2 Likes

sorry ! looks like a detonator from a movie :blush::+1:

1 Like

I’ll say. If not then, you certainly do now.:smile:

Also, I was thinking, that leaving off the speedometer’s min and max display might be a good idea. You don’t want to have to explain that to an officer.:laughing:

2 Likes

It actually helped the one and only time (knock on wood) I’ve been pulled over for speed.
I said I had only gone up to 43 in a 40, he claimed way more. He dropped it and moved to my loud exhaust. LoL

2 Likes

That’s what my wife said. She told me not to post it with out an explanation. LoL

1 Like

1 Like

Details! They are important

3 Likes

Truck is home. Dash will go in this weekend :grin:

2 Likes

WOW! I love it. I need to work out the fuel gauge still, I don’t think it’s reading correctly?
Only disappointment is the red line that has appeared on the right side of the screen? Not sure what happened there.
Over all I think it came out pretty good :blush:

In the last picture you can see all my wires for my stereo. It is pretty loud with, (2) 4" tweeters, (2) 6.5" mid-bass, (1) 10" sub, and (1) 700 watt 5 channel amp.
Being an A/V guy I need good tunes, LoL

Thank you all for your support :pray:!
Stay tuned for updates.

5 Likes

Good to see your truck back, well, most of it back anyway.:grin:

You certainly put a lot of effort in to it. The effort shows, looks great. Impressive.
All that and smooth, reliable shifts too.
BTW Nice squeak and rattle elimination system.

What’s next, some games on the VIM3 and a Bluetooth controller so you can play games** when traffic is bumper-to-bumper?:slightly_smiling_face:
**Kidding, of course, drivers should not game while driving.:crazy_face:

1 Like

I’m thinking a cam then turbo? I would like to be competitive in the class I’m running at the drag strip. LoL

I have Hulu? I’m not a big gamer.
I want to do it again in a different car this time.

2 Likes

A night vision front mounted camera that would show on the VIM3 would be real cool I think?

FYI: I have a Bluetooth controller now, it’s not a touch screen.

2 Likes