Tone 2 Pro only plays Tidal MQA at 44.1kHz

@Eric68 please help…

Hello.
We test MQA files and DSD files with foolbar2000 1.6.2 on window 10, it is OK. And according to your issues,you can send your files to me, including MQA files and DSD files,I will inform to you the results when I finish to test with your files.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately since the files are streamed from Tidal on PC, I don’t have the MQA files myself, so I’m not sure how I can send the files over to you. If you happen to know how, I’m all ears.

Hi
You can also download foolbar2000 1.6.2,and use this platform same with me to test your files.And then tell me the results.I will reply you as soon as possible.

Alright, I downloaded an MQA track and tested it with Foobar2000 ASIO out, and that seems to do the trick. The LED ring now properly shows the right sampling rate. (However, the driver dashboard still displays 44.1kHz, whatever.)

Streaming Tidal MQA, however, is still stuck at 44.1kHz. This seems like a Tidal issue, although I don’t have the same issue with other MQA devices on Tidal.

Yes,the foolbar still have the bug that it cannot display the right sample rate when play the MQA files.

Hi Bhu_Sor,

I don’t have this problem at all, mine is showing Magenta if I let Tidal do the first unfold, and Green or Blue if I set Passthrough MQA on, meaning the Tone2 Pro does decoding+rendring. And the ring is different for each kind of sample rate.

Regarding the Audio Dashboard, it shows 44.1 or 48 if I set Passthrough MQA on, because it’s the samplerate of the file as it’s sent.
If I set Passthrough MQA off, Tidal app does decoding, and sent at twice the sample rate of the file, so 88.2 or 96, and the Audio Dashboard shows it perfectly.

More details :
if you set Tidal app on non-“exclusive mode”, it’s act like a non MQA DAC and the Audio Dashboard will show the sample rate you set on the Playback Device menu in Windows, up to 384kHz (I was not able to set higher on Windows). Led will be yellow.

if you set Tidal app on “exclusive-mode”, the app takes directly control of the Tone2 Pro and you have two options :

• no passthrough : Tidal app does the first unfold (decoding) so a Master song will go up to 88.2 or 96 kHz, and the Audio Dashboard will show these numbers. Then the Tone2 Pro does the following unfolds (if any) and led location on the Tone2 Pro will show you the sample rate. The led color will be magenta.
  • passthrough on : Tidal app send the file without doing anything on it, so it’s 44.1 or 48, and Audio Dashboard confirm these numbers. The Tone2 Pro then does all unfolds (only decoding if the MQA file is up to 88.2 or 96, or decoding+rendering if the file is more than that. The led location will show you the sample rate, and the color will be Green or Blue, depending on MQA or MQA Studio.
2 Likes

You might be interesting in the video tutorial below shot by @tsangyoujun recently:

2 Likes

Thanks, great idea to make Youtube tutorial like that.
Just one small thing, regarding DSD, it’s not exactly 256 or 512 more resolution but more 256 or 512 more changes, it’s the 1bit change frequency, while PCM has a full 16 or 24 bits change each time.
It’s like having big samples but less times in PCM, and having a continuous flow in DSD that change by only 1bit each time.

Any idea, how can I enable Native DSD in Roon?

Hi,

this is what I have in Roon, and the Tone2 Pro light in white on DSD :

If you don’t have Native available, it’s certainly because you have enabled the WASAPI Tone2 Pro, not the ASIO one in the Roon device list.
Are you sure to have enabled the Tone2 Pro ASIO

3 Likes

How do I enable ASIO on the Tone 2 Pro? I am not connecting the Tone 2 Pro to a PC. I have it connected to Raspberry Pi 3.

Hi @TrueAudio
I’m not sure because of your setup, but in Roon core on a Windows PC, in the list of audio device, the Tone2 Pro, like all device capable of using ASIO, is showing twice, one with the Windows driver, and one with ASIO (for me, the ASIO version of each soudcard/DAC are in the bottom of the list).
You just have to disable the other version, and enable the ASIO one

Check if you see that

I figure it out. ASIO only works on Window or Mac. ALSA is is on Lnux and I jave Roon core on a NUC with ROCK, which is Linux. It’s connected via network to an Raspberry Pi running dietPi, which is also based on Linux.

I’ve seen others running very similar setting as mine Roon ROCK > Raspberry Pi > Tone 2 Pro and they show Native DSD setting on Roon setting. I’ll ask on Roon Facebook group, maybe other already figure it out.

Thanks!

@Gouwa maybe you know what could be going on. I check with several people who have the exact same setup as I do and they get the option to set in Roon Native DSD. I have 7 endpoints, with 7 different DACs and all show Native DSD except the Tone 2 Pro. Everything else works great. MQA files are being decoded perfectly fine. It’s just DSD being converted to PCM.

This one example of another user with the same setting that has the Native DSD option.

Furthermore, I tried connecting to my Mac, and Allo USBridge, Pi4 and Pi3 and in none of these gives me the option to select Native DSD.

OK, thought Roon core was on a Windows NUC, and that it would use the choice on this Roon device to send it on anything, even a Rasberry Pi, and that only if the Raspberry Pi was the Roon Core, it would require ALSA, which is not the case at all.

To support Native DSD on Linux for both ARM SBC and X86 PC, need to check the patches from here.

BTW, may I know which kernel version your Rpi device is running, as the latest stable kernel should already with the patch applied for common Linux kernel on both ARM SBC and X86 PC.

1 Like

Ok, the latest patch solved the issue. I’m playing. Native DSD.

Tone 2 Pro is amazing device!

Thank you!

3 Likes

Finally, after wracking my head for so long, I’ve figured it out thanks to @Grooved 's reply on another thread.

IMPORTANT THING TO CHECK : on Tidal, some album have different version, even several MQA version, with some having both MQA 24/96 and MQA 16/48… you wont see it in the Audio Dashboard, but from the led location only, or from a software like Roon or others, but not from the Tidal app.

There’s nothing wrong with Tidal nor my Tone 2. It’s just that some Tidal MQA tracks are 16 bits/48kHz. I checked this by skipping through an MQA playlist while looking at the LED. Some tracks give 2 LED bars because it’s 24/98, some only one bar since it’s 16/48.

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind update and good to know you addressed your issue :slight_smile:

Have fun!

1 Like