Powering the VIM3

Hi @JustSumDad, @Electr1 t’s good that someone exploring the same problem with you. I tried to power the board with a 5.2V 2.5A power supply, it booted up nicely too.

However, when i plugged in the USB device, which is a drone controller, the board starts to rebooting itself. I can see the VIN is powering up the board and charging the USB device at the same time.

What i need to achieve is to use the board as a ground control station, so I need the board to communicate with the USB device (drone controller) as an accessory.

Any idea why the board will start rebooting once i plugged in the usb device? Is there any way I can use the type C port as accessory (like when I flashing the firmware) by my USB device (drone controller) while powering up the board with VIN?

Well, it is handy for flashing. :slightly_smiling_face:
It operates as a USB 2.0 port with PD. From Khadas Docs…
" … USB-C port with USB power delivery and 2.0 speeds, can be used for upgrading the OS…"
It may be possible for it to function as an OTG, could be a setting or a firmware thing, idk. In any event, the USB-A ports will not be adversely affected by voltages greater than 5V on the VIN connector, so safer to use them anyway.

Nice use of the VIN connector.
Be interested in the run times you get out of an activity like 1080 Youtubes or similar load.

Hi @RDFTKV, any ideas on why the board will start rebooting once i plugged in the usb device? Is there any way I can use the type C port as accessory (like when I flashing the firmware) by my USB device (drone controller) while powering up the board with VIN?

@kin_0201 I think a voltage drop is happening below the VIM3’s required threshold…, can you tell me how much current the drone controller is pulling ?

maybe try bumping up the voltage with ±0.05v increments…
be very careful…

If it is just stable enough to run without crashing, stop there…

The Vin port is able to handle 5 to 12v and that is why I settled on 8v
I suspect as Electr1 said its likely your input voltage is browning out. The only reason to use a voltage super close to 5 is if you want to use the USB-C port as a 3rd USB connection.

@Electr1 well yes of course its still good as a firmware flash port :slight_smile:
Also as bench test PSU port when its not in my motorcycle…

1 Like

Hello, as I understand it, not every usb device, but only that device that is additionally provided with a supply voltage, and if a simple flash drive, then there should be no tricks.

1 Like

yes you have understood correctly, :+1:

but the problem is that @kin_0201 depends on the USB-C for Power and not from external, since we have that extra load, we need a boosted voltage, but we cannot use something like 12v 2A supply, otherwise his controller will explode as it can only handle 5v…

The USB device (drone controller) will draw maximum 2A at 5V. I have used a power supply of 5.1 V, but it still keeps rebooting when I plugged in the USB device.

I tired to cut the power wires (black and red wires) of the USB cable, as I only need data transfer between the board and USB device. However, still no luck. The board will also keep rebooting.

did you make sure to use the correct wires to connect ? no misconnections ?

I have checked the voltage of the VIN with multimeter: the two pins on the left are 5.1V, with or without the USB device plugged in. Can’t see any voltage drop, but the board do rebooting.

please check the voltage of the USB-C with the device connected…

also can you show us a video of the board rebooting ?
maybe even a serial log if possible…

The voltage of the USB-C with the device connected is 5.1V.

I can make a video of it rebooting.

How can I get the serial log?

do you have a USB to TTL/UART converter?

connect it to the linux_uart pins and open a serial console with something like Putty, and copy/paste the output you get, to something like pastebin and give us the link, we can read from there…

Regarding the video,
make it and post it on youtube and give us the link

… or uninterrupted device, I see it like this,
maybe try some Powerbank :man_shrugging:t3:

There you go, here is the serial log, in which we can see once I plugged in the USB devices, it do something then start counting down for reboot.

Regarding the video, you can see once I plugged in the board just reboot, which matches what you see in the log. Any clues what’s happening there?

@kin_0201 can you try reflashing the OS ?

To make it short just use the power supply provided by Khadas for vim3 it is 5-12V so it should be able to provide much juice to the board while the usb tries to pull it extra power from the board.

When i first gt my first VIM i didnt know it used USB-C to power it i thought i could use a phone charger so i asked around about what to power these boards with i quickly decided it wasnt worth the risk to play around with using anything other then what was recommended.

Ide rather waste the money on more boards then burning em up or questioning, why am i having stability problems? could it be the supply? could i have burnt something out or is it defective? a problem with software?

If you use everything that is recommended then theres no question its android lol

Is it the OS problem after you check the serial log? if it is, i can give it a go to reflash it today.

@Spikerguy and @BowerR64 I would love to use the 12V power supply, but the issue is I need to use the type-c port for data transfer so I can’t use the type-c port for power. So I can only power the board with VIN while keeping the voltage close to 5V to avoid burning my USB device, can you understand my situation?