Powering the VIM3

I see some kind of memory dump before it reboots…
Maybe all of this rebooting might have caused a corruption to the data…

To be sure, I suggest Reflashing the OS

Maybe you could use an adapter to allow connecting your drone controller’s cable to one of the USB-A ports. If so, you can run the 12v and not use the USB-C for connected devices. Khadas offers such an adapter.

instead of plugging the drone controller in with the type c to c cable why not get a type A to C cable and use one of the other ports?

@RDFTKV @JustSumDad It’s not an issue of the type of the connectors. I have both type A and type C connectors/cables.

The issue being is: the drone controller (USB device) needs to communicate with the VIM3 as host, so I need to use the type C port. The other two type A ports will use the drone controller (USB device) as an accessory.

No luck on reflashing the OS. I have reflashed the OS, still the same. Keep rebooting… anything else I can try?@Electr1

lemme think…
@kin_0201, just to verify, is the board physically ok ?
can you send us some pictures of the board front and back, as clear as possible ?

When the USB-C port quit on my Vim2 i used the VIN connector, i went on Amazon and bought a Male and female 5mm barrel jack, soldered the female to the VIM and the male side to the power supply.

The VIM3 has a connector so its easier to power it over previous vim versions.

The VIM2 has pogo pads so i had to actually solder em to the pads did hae the option for a handy little plug. BUT the option was there

I also thought you can power the VIM threw the I/O pins? dont ask me which ones though. I thought the Audio DEC board plugs into the I/O pins and powers everything threw the Audio DEC?

The VIM1, the original, had a VIN connector. I like powering it that way.

That barrel connector… It looks familiar…
Did you take that off a Captain board ?

Barrel and pigtail were culled from a dead Acer C710 Chromebook. The connector was not an exact fit for the header. It fits and the pins mate, but no orientation tab, so caution required when connecting.

I would never do anything like that to the Captain, perish the thought. :grin:
Not intentionally anyway, I did inadvertently knock off a surface mounted resistor when I first got the Captain. Yes, it was embarrassing for me. :laughing:

1 Like

well, that is quite haunting :grimacing:

atleast, I see you were able to salvage something off a old electronic Item, that is still cool :+1:

I like my boards to much to ever run them with no heatsink.

The only one ive ever tried without a heatsink is the pi4 just to try and trick a game into letting me change the video resolution settings

DIdnt work, but then again the pi4 doesnt work all that good in general so no loss

Hi @Electr1sorry for the late reply. here is the photo of the top side of the board. I can’t see any noticable physical damage on the board.

And here is the bottom of it.

@kin_0201 can you try using your device, open and without the case, but not touching any conductive surface ?
try it and tell me if it still reboots…

images-2 Does it make sense to feed it with a powerbank like in the picture? Would it be a problem if I power up with the Type C port?

@fkaraokur that not a problem at all, I use a Powerbank to powerup mine as well, I recommend one that can atleast pump out 5v at 2A minimum, if it is capable of USB-C PD, its even better…

Xiaomi 20000 mAh 3 Pro Type-C Powerbank Taşınabilir Hızlı Şarj Cihazı (45W)

i buy this powerbank but not came my khadas packet just. Waiting

I don’t like to wait either
:sleeping: