Powering the VIM3

Well then if thats the case i dont see any benefit to running the board over 5v

Of course there is no benefit to running the board over 5v unless you have not attached USB-C peripherals,

please note that the VIN is at the top of the power deliver system, so you cannot charge a battery if you connected it to the VIN port

OK, so consensus seems to be that USB peripherals will be destroyed if the VIM 3 is powered by the Vin with a 12v DC source?

@Gouwa

above 5v and USB-C peripherals are busted, you could probably have a tolerance of 5.2v max

btw, the USB-C port doesn’t work for data, what do you intend to attach to it ?

Hello, I have not checked this myself, but only USB-C port should have voltage equal to the voltage applied to VIN. Otherwise VIN and USB-C supply DC-to-DC converters. Other USB-A ports should be fine according to the schematic. I will try to confirm this tonight if I get the time, otherwise should know something in a day or so.

5 Likes

Yep you are correct, it seems that there is confusion as to which USB port is being referred to,
just to clarify once more, if VIN port is higher than 5v

USB-A ports will be safe,
USB-C port will not be safe

I think that clears it up here…

2 Likes

USB C port does work for data - im using it now!

I am talking about attaching USB-C peripherals like docks and stuff…
I know that you can transfer data like the USB-OTG SSH thing in linux and ADB in Android

its just a USB OTG port - it will work fine. OTG can be master or slave devices so USB perhiperals will work fine. Its only got DP/DM lines so its a USB2 OTG port over a USBC connector

Whaa…t?, ok there seems to be some confusion again, I was told that USB-C peripherals like those USB-C thumbdrives wouldn’t work as it wasn’t supported in the uboot yet…

i cant test as i only have usbc cable to power it with - will knock up a split cable later to try it if i have time

That isn’t a problem, I just want to clear up the confusion
please take your time…

I don’t need the USB-C port at all. I only need to get this unit to run on 12v DC supply and have the standard UBS ports work well for a touch screen and a GPS.
I want to use the VIN so as to have a more robust less likely to be unplugged connection.
I also don’t like how tight the connections are so having nothing in the USB-C is preferred as i will be using something to secure the HDMI so it does not vibrate out or get unplugged.

I have some concerns powering over the VIN as the motorcycles power of course varies from 9v to 14v based on different charging states.
So since I read in the specs the VIN port is 5v to 12v tolerant I may already be forced to power over USB-C in some way.

I wish this page had some info:

2 Likes

No problem with USB-A, you may happily attach your peripherals without fear,

USB-C will only have VIN voltage, be careful with it,

if you want to be safe, I can’t recommend using a buck boost converter more enough…

all the best

1 Like

yes I am thinking I will order a buck convertor and wire the VIN to it.

spec I will order is 6-23v input 6v 6 amp output.

That should be safe I think.

Now I have to work out how to make a UPS system so as not to have it shut down dirty and have a standby wakeup for boot speed…

1 Like

I’d tell you to take a look at anything with the XL6009 regulator, It will have a whole lot of benefits, like adjustable power to 5v and upto 4A etc…

Take your time and decide on a good quality one…

Regarding UPS, you can hook up some 18650s in a 2S configuration with a BMS to maintain it…

1 Like

Hi @Electr1 I’m so happy to see this post. I need to use the USB C OTG for data while powering up the board, what do you mean by “USB-C port doesn’t work for data”?

Can I use a 5V 4A power supply for the VIN, and use the type C for the data at the same time? would appreciate if you can give advice on this, as i burnt one accessories already. Thanks.

Hello, A 5 volt input to VIN should not be a power problem for USB-C connected devices, though I have not tested this. While USB-C volts will be equal to that on the VIN, every USB device I have seen can handle 5 volts. The problem would come from using voltages in excess of 5 volt on the VIN. The number of amps supplied to VIN is not a threat, the connected device determines how many amps are drawn, not the power supply. Although the power supply can be a limiting factor in amps supplied.
I have not tried data over USB-C yet, other than flashing.

2 Likes

Hi @kin_0201 welcome to the community,
as @RDFTKV has explained beautifully, current is only drain on demand, it is the principle of electricity…

also we have never tested the USB-C with things like Hubs dongles, etc…

1 Like

I cut up one of those Vin to Vin cables and made a xt30 power end for it.
set that up with one of those little LM2596 Buck/boost that are only good for about 2 amp and set that for 5.2v
The Vim3 Pro booted up nicely and uses VERY little amperage, its so small without any USB devices on it I am talking about a tenth of an amp on a 12v supply on the input of the LM2596.

For interest sake I put an OTG cable on the usb-C to turn it into a USB type A socket and plugged a mouse in there. Nothing, I had the voltage down to proper USB 5v range so it should have worked but nada.

I am now running the buck/boost board at 8v and testing shows little heat, great flexibility on input voltage range and perfect stability. The USB-C port is just a hole in the case so far as I am concerned.

I know the amperage drain will jump when USB devices are added, but I only have one to add, and its a powered USB hub so it wont be any drain anyhow :slight_smile:

3 Likes