Overclocking method

I mean just a regular android box playing games, i have say an N5 max box runs at 33C but i can see the speeds go up and down at different times

I intentionally had the same thought, but since the VIM3 couldnā€™t be overclocked I just gave up trying to do it, who knows maybe in the future Amlogic will release the hw blobs for the overclocking, but as far as I am concerned by the time that happens ARM processers would be running at 10 GHz as their base clock !

But only REALLY running at 5 lol

1 Like

I guess you understand the intensity of the situation very well :laughing:

Yeah i earned a long post reward reading a 3 page thread about clock cheating.

1 Like

As Superceleron has said these chips have their speed locked in the propitiatory kernel code so its not available to the end user. The clock speed is set at a safe margin to prevent large rates of chip failure.
However you do have control over the clock speed through the selection of the governor. As standard these chips are usually set to ondemand which varies the clock speed with load. You can set it to performance which locks the clock at its maximum setting. If you do this you need to monitor your clock speed after setting - if it drops below its max value 2.2ghz then you are experiencing thermal throttling and you need to increase your cooling.

Shoog

1 Like

I guess that could be given a try.

I run all my AMLogic boards on performance, but I also run extra cooling on them all. The VIM boards have no cooling so would absolutely need some form of forced air and heatsink to cope with performance governor.
It make a noticable difference to GUI speeds.

Shoog

Unfortunately I forgot to buy one with my VIM3 and now I suffer from alot of throttling unless I donā€™t keep it under the direct flow of air from my large table fan

A heatsink glued to the SOC and a 3" 12V PC fan run off the USB rail is all you need to keep temps down to below 50C, the throttling trigger is just over 70C.

Shoog

I am looking for ways to keep it cool, 2 months ago I took a lot of American copper pennies which were minted before 1980, made of 95% copper, stacked them up and used it as a heatsink/thermal mass,
the performance was respectable but made the SBC look funny with more than 30 pennies sticking out the top, cheap but effective, but mostly very cheap :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

SO whats the trick to set it to ā€œperformanceā€ with a regular android OS?

I would prefer it always run at the max speeds then throttle, i always run a larger then stock heatsink and all 3 of my Khadas units have the Khadas heatsink and fan so they should be fine running them at performance.

I wish there was a switch like on the Nvidia units, although the difference in those is only like 20% gain or something small like that. I usually monitor the temps while im using the boxes and never leave them running unattended

you mean constantly on 2.2?

yes I think thatā€™s what @BowerR64 was asking for.

then here is a good program for monitoring the ā€œKernel Adiutorā€ processor, you need BusyBox libraries and ROOT access

I see throtteling even when everything is cool, i get the idea for phones or devices that use a battery but why cant they just automatically go into performance mode when always plugged in to a power source? Arnt they ā€œSmartā€ tv boxes? lol

I understand your idea, I have a windows laptop and I configured it in the same, on battery throttle and save battery life, on wall power turbo up to max frequency, it is a simple but effective concept I donā€™t understand why it is throttled even on wall power.

maybe it needs more cooling just give it a dose of liquid nitrogen and see if it still has thermal throttling :rofl:

maybe a firmware error, what do you have?

When you ask what do i have do you mean not all of these android devices throttle when they arnt under heavy work?

I thought it was just a common android thing it does to conserve power. I dont have a speed monitor on all the boxes because i thought it was common to them all?

Thermal throtteling is understandable but i never get that with the boxes i have, ive upgraded all the heatsinks on em and added little fans, cut more vents in the case so the air can flow better. They dont look pretty and most of them are noisy but i want all the juice i can get from em.

For example, one of the boxes is an N5 Max, its a S905X3 it has a header display that is built into the firmware it can display CPU speeds and temps when using the box. It ramps up and down just doing normal tasks

When i got it stock antutu would do 55k after i added the larger heatsinks and a fan it got just over 70k i always wondered if it ran full throttle all the time if it would do better specially with the cooling ive added

I know benchmarks arnt always a true way to judge performance but its a way to compare box to box that i have and a way to see if something is helping or hindering performance.

1 Like