Next generation Tone Board

Will not higher then $120 I think.

4 Likes

Except those, I mean, XMOS XU208, no MQA license, no Design metal box, will Tone2 VIM Edition specs will be the same as Tone2 Pro Edition ?

By the way, one more question that crosses my mind,ā€¦

Is Khadas Dev. Team thinking about a DIY Box like the existing ones, compatible with the Tone2 Knob or an add-on DIY Box stage and top for VIM & Tone2 boards sandwich ?

Hello @Gouwa,ā€¦

As shown here, I got a vTVBoard-VIM2-Tone1 boards sandwich in a red Khadas DIY Case, I would like to do the same with vTVBoard-VIM3-Tone2Pro boards in my purple Khadas DIY Case, but I wouldnā€™t unmount my vTVBoard-VIM2-Tone1 boards sandwich to measure itā€¦

I wonder if, you could tell me what is the thickness of the 40 pins header that is used on the Tone1 ?

I could found a lot of 40 pins headers on the web but with different thickness and I wouldnā€™t buy a too igh or a too low one.

Hi DerFu,
From what I understand, you want to add a 2x20 pins header to your TB1.
Please help by measuring pins specs, or maybe ask kindly Gouwa whatā€™s the required ref.
Have a look there, job is partially done :
https://eu.mouser.com/Connectors/Headers-Wire-Housings/_/N-ay0lo?P=1z0xbxoZ1ytkn39Z1ytkn06Z1yy4gdpZ1z0z63xZ1yzv7x2Z1z0z63vZ1z0z2tk&Keyword=pin+strip+solder&FS=True
You have to ensure about pins spacing X & Y, and total pin lenght, endingā€¦
Remember : doing this will void your warrantyā€¦ TB1 VIM Edition has the pins soldered.
Then buy the pin part number and sodler it to the board.
Adding some SMD flux will help a lot.
If required, practise iron soldering on some ruined PC boardā€¦ :wink:
As Iā€™ve no TB by now I canā€™t help further.
Cheers

1 Like

The pitch is 2.54mm according to the Tone1 spec sheetā€¦
40PinPitch
I could not find the specific connector(header) part number mentioned in the Tone1 schematic. This leads me to believe they might be fairly standard.
Due to aging peepers and a reluctance to get new glasses, measurements are approximateā€¦
52mm wide
5mm deep(front to back)
8.5mm height(height measurement taken from PCB surface).
Drawing not to scaleā€¦

@RDFTKV I believe it is this connector perhaps ?
identified as TE brand connector, found here:

TE Connectivity|TE Connectivity 7-534206-0|Pin Header & Female Header|LCSC

1811132044_TE-Connectivity-7-534206-0_C306217.pdf (lcsc.com)

1 Like

Looks like it would work to me, long as the pins fit thru the wholes in the PCB.
For a time the Tone1 Generic version was shipped with unmounted 40 and 20 pin headers. Then, for a time they were not included, and now they are again(I think). I imagine Khadas may have some, but I see no SKU. @DerFu might try to see if Gouwa could make them available.

1 Like

Hello @ABSNimes,ā€¦

Not on Tone1 but on Tone2Pro,ā€¦
Iā€™ve already Tone1 VIM Ed. on my VIM2Pro but didnā€™t want to unmount it to measure the header, that why I kindly asked @Gouwa,ā€¦ :wink: ā€¦

Tone2Pro ā€œ40 pins header Modā€ is for my VIM3Pro

I donā€™t care of warranty, shipping costs from France to China are too high to send it back in case of problemā€¦
Donā€™t worry, I can say that Iā€™m pretty good on almost all welding technics existing in the world, thatā€™s why I have no apprehension of doing that ā€œModā€ :wink: ā€¦

Thanks for answeringā€¦ :wink:

Hello @RDFTKV & @Electr1,ā€¦

Thanks a lot guys,
@RDFTKV info shows 40 pins header is 8.5mm highā€¦
@Electr1 datasheet pdf shows 40 pins header is 8.64mm (8.13 + 0.51 standoffs) highā€¦
Difference is 0.14mm, thatā€™s negligible !

I think I never do better measurement with my metal rule (1/10mm) !

Iā€™ll go for a 8.5/8.6mm high 40 pins header, I think itā€™ll be no problem to find that on AliExpess :wink: ā€¦

Best regards Guys !

Add-on 20210113 :
Hello All ! ā€¦

Letā€™s Go !.. Found that on AliEx :
2x20 pins PCB 2.54mm female header
2x40 pins SMD 2.54mm male header (will cut it to fit 2x20 pins SMD Tone2Pro port)
Just have to wait some days/weeks for shipping delayā€¦
Iā€™ll be back to you all when VIM3 + Tone2Pro mod. will be readyā€¦

Should be the same as my DIY Case tuned Housing VIM2 + VTV + TONE-BOARD

Add-on 20211107 :
Hello All !

I dig up this topic because my second homebrewed board-sandwich VIM3+Tone2 Pro assembly is done.
If you are interested about it, juste take a glance to the first of the 3 phases Iā€™ve posted hereā€¦

:wink:

3 Likes

Hello @Gouwa,ā€¦

So, the same price as Tone1 (previously named Tone Board).
Iā€™ve bought my Tone Board $120.60 ā€¦