MultiOS_3in1 (Android+Libreelec+Linux) install to eMMC

Found a couple of errors. Replaced the archive version 20180116.

A new version of the image MultiOS 3_in_1 20180117 .

Changes. Added synaptic. Changed the first start procedure of formation of /home for Ubuntu. Now this directory is located in /dev/data and mounted in the directory /extpart/LINUX/home. For those who want to increase the available volume for Linux on eMMC for the installation of new programs, etc.), can use a simple procedure. Copy to the directory /extpart/LINUX the existing directory and system and edit fstab to prescribe its mounting on the analogy of /home (using key ā€œbindā€). For example, to migrate , the largest directory is /usr on /dev/data. Copy as root the directory /usr /extpart/LINUX/usr. Add in fstab the string ā€œ/extpart/LINUX/usr /usr bind bind 0 0ā€. And reboot the system. Note that partition /dev/affordable Android data cleaning and performing a ā€œwipeā€ all data in it are erased.

Pay attention. Now when you first start the Linux system will reboot automatically, something came into force the new settings (this is normal).

4 Likes

You are a genius, sir. Thank you!

I tried to understand ā€œbindā€ when you first mentioned it but could not work it out - your example now is perfect.

In fact I am now running your 3in1 - I worked out how to copy the Khadas Ubuntu server to replace Mate in /dev/linux and setup my simple openbox desktop the way that keeps me happy.

I am still on 20171116. And I changed partition content (linux libreelec system) incrementally.
I wonder: should I install new u-boot to stay compatible with recent 3_in_1 features like 20180117?
If so, can you provide updated u-boot (if any)?

If everything is working, changing it is not required. :wink:

1 Like

Canā€™t boot the image. Iā€™ve tried to enable multiboot manually (I donā€™t want to erase emmc to android) but it doesnā€™t work in any way Iā€™ve tried. LibreELEC for the VIM2
all resulted in
** Unrecognized filesystem type **

Iā€™m using VTV_20180117 KVIM2-emmc.img

Please tell me what are correct commands to boot from SD and from Emmc for VIM2?

Write in detail what steps you did. What do you mean ā€œIā€™ve tried to enable multiboot manuallyā€ ?

Pay attention while installing this firmware (MultiOS_3_in_1) the whole eMMC will be wiped clean. This system is NOT designed to work with external media.

1. Downloaded KVIM2-emmc.img
  2. dd if=./KVIM2-emmc.img of=/dev/disk2
  3. Installed Android VIM2_Nougat_V171028 on VIM2
    Thereā€™s no Update&backup to enable multiboot
    So Iā€™ve opened ā€œAbout->System updatesā€ as was said
    https://imgur.com/xI0aGej.jpg
    https://imgur.com/isYNci4.jpg
    But thereā€™s no option to choose from. I gave up and rebooted. Then Iā€™ve tried
    kvim2#run update
    And got the android menu
    https://imgur.com/hNquu6c.jpg
    Chose there ā€œupdate from EXTā€ and there ā€œupdate from sdcard"
    And got this where all ends:
    https://imgur.com/c2lSWvy.jpg
    The console meanwhile I see:
    ā€[ 326.373599@4] FAT-fs (mmcblk1): bogus number of reserved sectors
    [ 326.373974@4] FAT-fs (mmcblk1): Canā€™t find a valid FAT filesystem
    [ 326.380728@6] FAT-fs (mmcblk1): bogus number of reserved sectors
    [ 326.385982@6] FAT-fs (mmcblk1): Canā€™t find a valid FAT filesystem
    ā€¦"

btw I havenā€™t found android ā€œSetup Wizardā€ package (com.google.android.setupwizard) in your Android package. Some things require running setup wizard/factory reset to run the wizard.

Youā€™re doing it wrong. See the instructions carefully. Perhaps other users who speaks English well will be able to write clear instructions.

@kkkkk

3_in_1 will alter original internal eMMC and erase original Android installation.

• If you do not want this:
    Consider booting and using LibreELEC or Armbian from separate external SD cards.
    But first activate multiboot as documented using UPDATE&BACKUP from Android.
    UPDATE&BACKUP should be present in stock VIM2 Nougat
    (try system update from Android Settings).

• But if you still do want 3_in_1:
    As said that system alters eMMC, so you can first make an eMMC backup with ddbr
    (when running Armbian from external SD card).
    Basically 3_in_1 allows to have 3 OS on internal eMMC and boot into any 3 of them from any 3 of them. The 3 OS are: Android, LibreELEC and Armbian (or any other Linux you make), and they are located on separate dedicated partitions
    (/dev/system /dev/libreelec and /dev/linux).

Success

2 Likes

Looks like I got it.
In order to install KVIM2-emmc.img you need a bootable linux system installed on SD card prior to it. Then you need to login to it, download kvim2-update script and download KVIM2-emmc.img.gz without decompressing it. Then you put KVIM2-emmc.img.gz to /ddbr directory and run kvim2-update
So the main point here is - you need a bootable linux sd card

You hit the point.
The detail about /ddbr is perhaps configurable, I donā€™t exactly recall.
But I would recommend : take a ddbr backup of internal storage, so you can, with same bootable linux system installed on SD card, always restore should anything go wrong while overwriting internal storage.
Good luck!

1 Like

Bootable SD card is only needed if you have damaged a standard bootloader in eMMC. If you have normally functioning normally the bootloader from eMMC, you can use any USB flash drive > 8 GB.

You know I like the idea you did with Armbian as far as I remember. When you install the system on SD, boot from it, check if it fits your needs and works fine, and only then you copy the system to emmc.

I can assemble a version of the image 3_in_1 for SD\USB, but the main problem is that I have no version of Android that can work with external media. If someone can give me a version of Android that works with external drives, I can collect 3_in_1 option for external media.

I missed something again.
I ran kvim2-update
It showed everything went fine.
I rebooted.
And got into VIM2_Nougat_20171123 the same I had prior installation
And I canā€™t find any menu to reboot to other OSes
What did I miss?

btw your kvim2_update_SRC_20170926.img.xz looks broken.
It has chmod 1023:1023 on all /usr/bin files including sudo and suid bit not set
I had to mount it and fix owners
find /mnt -group 1023 -exec chgrp -h root {} ;
find /mnt -user 1023 -exec chown -h root {} ;

Also I wasnā€™t able to use wifi to download image on SD. It couldnā€™t find wifi driver.

Long press (2-3 seconds) of the button on\off on the remote control or on the Board.

For Wifi see description of settings Armbian.

Pushing middle button on the board only leads to:
[ 109.243827@2] input input1: key 102 up
[ 111.025232@5] fb: osd[1] enable: 1 (surfaceflinger)
[ 115.000489@4] fb: osd[1] enable: 0 (surfaceflinger)
and nothingā€¦

Can you please tell me the command from android console to run the menu?

not press the middle(funkction) button
the button power\shutdown.

At the end we have:

1. Android lacks Android SetupWizard so you canā€™t install enterprise policy rules there
  2. LibreELEC lacks Chrome as a fact. You just canā€™t run/install any web browser there because it doesnā€™t run on Xorg.
  3. Armbian Chromium shows 7.4fps on 1080p videos.
    itā€™s upsetting.