MultiOS_3in1 (Android+Libreelec+Linux) install to eMMC

I have been able to run Armbian_5.32_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20171007.img via external media. The next step is how to execute kvim2-update and also writing the new firmare Armbian+Android+Librelec

Hello!

Iā€™m having problems with the official Ubuntu Mate image for Vim2. It does not load the cifs module, which I need to mount a share from a NAS. I would like to know if your version, present in the link https://yadi.sk/d/9DLFNLXA3N726n/VIM2_Ubuntu-mate-16.04_Linux-4.9_V170818 has kernel in different version. From what Iā€™ve been reading in github, the 4.9.40 kernel should resolve this, the original has kernel 4.9.26.
If your version does not have this fix, you have the 4.9.40 kernel in .deb to install. And I would also like to know if there are kernel headers in .deb, as this does not seem to be in APT-GET for installation.

You have created a full backup of the current state of the eMMC ?

1. The specified version is an exact copy of the official firmware. So it kernel exactly the same 4.9.26
  2. New kernel ā€œ4.9.40ā€ is part of the firmware MultiOS_3in1
  3. If you need, I can upload the deb packages with the kernel ā€œ4.9.40ā€.
  4. You can pick up - ā€œ4.9.40ā€ from source (making configuration changes) from git and install it as usual in your system.
    https://github.com/150balbes/linux-khadas/tree/ubuntu-4.9

The new version MultiOS_3in1 20171018.

Important update. I replaced the previous version of Ubuntu to the version which is used in Armbian (with all packages and settings). Added to system menu and applications menu two additional points for a straight reboot into Android and Libreelec. Fixed a USB drives, now when I connect the USB flash drive it is immediately available to the user (on the desktop). Now works correctly ā€œmozoā€. Pay attention, when you first start on the new equipment, a warning will be issued ā€œEncryption unsuccessfulā€ and choose ā€œReset media boxā€.

Thank you. I will test this version MultiOS_3in1. Can you tell if the CIFS module is OK in it? I think it will be interesting to give more functions to the device, also because Ubuntu does not seem to be accelerating for Kodi any time soon. Very annoying that Amlogic does not fix the GPU drivers for Linux.
My main purpose is to have a server for my own systems, but I would like to have Kodi accelerated. Today I do this easily with Raspberry Pi 2. Khadas is an upgrade for it.
Another question ā€¦ Wifi and BT are working on this 3 in 1?

If you plan to use the VIM2, as a server, I recommend to try the official firmware VIM2_Ubuntu-server-16.04_Linux-4.9_V170922. It includes kernel ā€œ4.9.40ā€.

IMHO many exaggerate the importance of support for the HW in Linux. To work in desktop mode, power 8 cores S912 is enough for 1080p or 4 kernel S905X for 720p. Many people want to have desktop (for example Mate) full screen video playback. But if you enable full-screen video playback, desktop and other programs can no longer be used. This implies that if you enable full-screen video, it really doesnā€™t matter what program you do it. Full-screen video copes KODI. And for playback in a video window and sound while simultaneously running other programs on the desktop is enough available resources. So for me the optimal system Linux+Libreelec. Want to work and watch videos - use Linux (Mate or another shell). Want to watch full screen video run KODI (or LE) and watch any video in full screen.

2 Likes

I agree with you. Iā€™ve been a fan since the time of MiniMX. Thanks for the information of Ubuntu Server ā€¦ can be a solution to my problems. Iā€™ll test it before the 3 in 1. Today my main goal is to put the cifs to work. Can you tell if the GPIO is working OK with these images?
Would Ubuntu server be usable with graphical mode installed in the same way as the native Mate image? Because this would solve my kernel problem, but I would also like to have the graphical mode, but without having to compile a kernel in the version with Mate.
Does Ubuntu Server have WIFI driver installed?

As far as I know, itā€™s all there, but you have to clarify in this thread the author of the firmware.

Thank you for your help and promptness.

Yes, for firmware VIM2_Ubuntu-mate-16.04_Linux-4.9_V170818 normal user canā€™t mount USB driver, because /media/khadas ACL attribute is missing. You can try the following commands to fixup it.

$ sudo setfacl -m u:khadas:rx /media/khadas
$ sudo setfacl -m g::--- /media/khadas

Hello! After much burning, I was able to get the cifs loaded. And the use of ubuntu server was not enough. I had to recompile the Kernel and enable the module, which was very difficult for me. I think it would be interesting if the images were loaded with more modules, as these problems do not occur in Raspberry pi, which has much less hardware. What saved me was this topic: http://docs.khadas.com/social/BuildBootloaderAndRamfs/#build-linux-kernel

Without this article I would not be able to answer the millions of Kernel questions (I did not find a .config previously configured in the kernel github)ā€¦ Thatā€™s the tip for the less experienced, like me.

, or can use ā€œchmodā€. :wink:

What branch (git) did you use ?

MultiOS_3in1 201719. Small correction - BT enabled by default.

I think I ended up using the VIM1 settings on VIM2. Now I have found the configuration files and will try later. Iā€™m using the master branch, is that the config_20171017 file should be renamed to .config, is not it?
Another question ā€¦ would it be possible to use the 4.13 NEXT kernel in VIM2? (https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s905-kernel).
1 - With Kernel 4.13 would I lose or gain what compared to the original 4.9?
2 - Would it be possible to use it in EMMC with no changes on Uboot, only in dtb?
3 - Will the Bluetooth and WIFI drivers work on it?

The Master Branch ? This is a GIT ?

Kernel 4.13 - this is a test version, many things still not working (WiFi, BT, etc.). So I do not recommend it to regular use (except when you really need features that are only in the new kernel).

soļ¼Œhow to install without SD&USB怂
I download ā€˜ā€˜Balbes150_VIM2_MultiOS_3in1 20171019 KVIM2-emmc.img.gzā€™ā€™ , and unpack the archive, found that the size of image is about 15GB怂
thatā€™s backup of the current state of the eMMCļ¼Ÿ
how to use the USB Upgrade Tool to upgradeļ¼Ÿ

Hi Kerry,

Please refer to the following post at this topic.

2 Likes

New firmware version Balbes150_VIM2_Ubuntu_Server_20171024.

The principal changes.

1. New universal bootloader u-boot. It changed the algorithm run system from eMMC. You can now easily replace the system at eMMC to another. You can add multiple Linux systems in EMMs. You can use a different algorithm run, any names and location of files in directories, etc. At the start, u-boot checks for scripts under /dev/multiboot (this is a new partition on the eMMC, it FAT32). If there is a script emmc_linux, u-boot executes it. If there is no script emmc_linux, u-boot searches for the emmc_default script and executes it. Scripts emmc_linux and emmc_default are formed, by the same rules, which are formed scripts s905_autoscript. The principle of operation is the same. If /dev/multiboot not to run scripts, u-boot attempts to execute standard procedure of start Android.
  2. In this firmware version changes to the partitions on the eMMC. The whole system is placed in /dev/linux. He takes almost all free space (exclude utility partition bootloader, reserved, env, multiboot and logo).
  3. All system files (zImage, uInitrd, dtb.img hdmi.sh fan.sh) are located in the standard /boot directory and available for normal use. Pay attention to start used NOT Packed utility ā€œmkimageā€ kernel (use the command ā€œbootiā€).
  4. To control the monitor, I added the service ā€œ0hdmi.serviceā€ which uses the script ā€œ/boot/hdmi.shā€.
  5. Removed doker.io. If desired, one can install it myself.
  6. Updated all packages from online repositories to the current date.
  7. New u-boot has a built-in universal multiboot (using the script s905_autoscript). So you can immediately launch any external system. Activation multi-boot is no longer required.
  8. Tested Libreelec with this u-boot. Everything runs and works with external drives (using a script s905_autoscript).

Pay attention when using external media (LE, Armbian, etc.) - do NOT activate the multi-boot, this will break a working u-boot.

2 Likes